Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TaraHooven
I got a free Visa certificate when we applied and were accepted for a Marriott Rewards Chase Visa card. On my account information it states it is Visa 34A certificate - does anyone know how I go about booking for this certificate online?
Tara... roughly how long was it between the time you were accepted for the Visa card and the time the 34A certificate hit your account? We've been approved for the card and would like to use the cert in October. Thx!
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pbjag
How long has it typically taken for the certficate to show up in your account after being approved for the Visa?

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Tara... roughly how long was it between the time you were accepted for the Visa card and the time the 34A certificate hit your account? We've been approved for the card and would like to use the cert in October. Thx!
For me, the cert showed up in my account before I even knew Chase had approved the card (that's actually how I found out). The card ended up arriving a week or two later.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by msuroo
For me, the cert showed up in my account before I even knew Chase had approved the card (that's actually how I found out).
Now, THAT'S amazing! I love and want some of your luck if it'll rub off. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've been told over the phone by a Chase rep that we've been approved, but no card and no cert at this point.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by MileKing
Have others who reserved before having the cert in their account seen reservations book as a paid room?
I have booked before the cert was in my account on two occasions. Marriott booked the room as a free stay on a Visa cert both times.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:34 pm

Cert Arrived

Hey, Hey... my Visa cert arrived electronically yesterday and I booked my room today. Pretty cool, especially considering they still haven't sent me the credit card yet.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:37 pm

I just found out that my Cat 1-4 certificate was used when I booked a room on points in June. I had no idea that my certificate was being used, and would have preferred to save it for when I wanted to book a room at a Cat 4 hotel instead of the Cat 3 that it was used for.

I called the Platinum Rewards line and the lady I spoke with was not very helpful. She eventually said that she would subtract the 15K points and re-issue the cert. Hopefully she puts it through correctly. I want to book a room at a Cat 4 hotel this weekend, and would prefer to have the difference of the 5K points back in my account.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
One other note, you cannot book consecutive nights using the Chase e-cert. You have to book one night for the e-cert then another reservation for either a paid stay or award stay. Went through that this year using mine for a 3 day weekend. Would not let me combine the e-cert with a paid stay on the other 2 nights. Had to book each individually then tell the desk clerk to link them so I didn't have to come back down to have my keys recoded. Of course, I had to notify the desk clerk the following morning of my free stay so that the reservation was used. They still screwed up my points though because somehow they recorded the PAID portion of my stay as an AWARD stay???? Had to call MR to get that straightened out...was actually easier than I had anticipated. They contacted the hotel directly and worked it out behind the scenes

Peace!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NVGuy36
One other note, you cannot book consecutive nights using the Chase e-cert. You have to book one night for the e-cert then another reservation for either a paid stay or award stay. Went through that this year using mine for a 3 day weekend. Would not let me combine the e-cert with a paid stay on the other 2 nights. Had to book each individually then tell the desk clerk to link them so I didn't have to come back down to have my keys recoded. Of course, I had to notify the desk clerk the following morning of my free stay so that the reservation was used. They still screwed up my points though because somehow they recorded the PAID portion of my stay as an AWARD stay???? Had to call MR to get that straightened out...was actually easier than I had anticipated. They contacted the hotel directly and worked it out behind the scenes

Peace!

This isn't good. I recently booked two consecutive nights for an upcoming stay, one night using the Chase Visa cert and the second using a cert from the Megabonus promo. The reservation went through fine on-line, but now contains a note about certificate mismatch (or something similar) and paying for the stay using points. I've spoken with both Marriott Reservations and Guest Services and they both state the certs are attached to the reservation and no points will be taken out of my account. The reservation of course still has the mismatch message. Wonder if I should cancel the reservation and make as two separate reservations?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
This isn't good. I recently booked two consecutive nights for an upcoming stay, one night using the Chase Visa cert and the second using a cert from the Megabonus promo. The reservation went through fine on-line, but now contains a note about certificate mismatch (or something similar) and paying for the stay using points. I've spoken with both Marriott Reservations and Guest Services and they both state the certs are attached to the reservation and no points will be taken out of my account. The reservation of course still has the mismatch message. Wonder if I should cancel the reservation and make as two separate reservations?
Earlier this year, I booked a stay using the Visa cert one night plus points other nights, got the same message about a certificate mismatch and didn't do anything about it, and when I got to the hotel, there were no problems at all.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:17 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

This message often shows when you use a promo certificate. The important thing is that the reservation is booked for reward redemption and the certificates are attached, which it sounds like they are. However, if you would like you can send me a PM with you confirmation number and I would be happy to make sure everything is in order.

Regards,
Ira
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards - Platinum; US Airways - Gold
Free Night Certificate Usage

I'm trying to use a MegaBonus free night certificate, but I've run into some issues.

So apparently the certificates are only usable for the most basic room in a location. I'm trying to reserve a bigger room but I can't use points to upgrade to the room on top of the certificate either. So if I want the room I have to pay for the entire room and can't use the certificate at all.

It's quite frustrating, because it's already difficult to find category 1-4 properties that I would like to use the certificates for anyway.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much for your help. I already tried to call the Marriott Rewards number, the Reservations number, and the front desk of the hotel. I'm not trying to "fish" for a representative; they are telling me to try the next in line on the list.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Do you mean a bigger room as in a suite? A 2BR in a RI or TPS?

Originally Posted by EngineerDan
I'm trying to use a MegaBonus free night certificate, but I've run into some issues.

So apparently the certificates are only usable for the most basic room in a location. I'm trying to reserve a bigger room but I can't use points to upgrade to the room on top of the certificate either. So if I want the room I have to pay for the entire room and can't use the certificate at all.

It's quite frustrating, because it's already difficult to find category 1-4 properties that I would like to use the certificates for anyway.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you so much for your help. I already tried to call the Marriott Rewards number, the Reservations number, and the front desk of the hotel. I'm not trying to "fish" for a representative; they are telling me to try the next in line on the list.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 6:57 pm

Not to sound rude but it's a free night...........Do you ask the little ole lady at the market giving free samples to give you a box for free? I know I know two tooooootally different things. As far as the room though, if they have one at check-in I see no reason they shouldn't give it to you. However, if you're trying to guarantee it in advance and pull a DYKWIA not a very good approach. The free night is simply that a free night, doesn't say (at least I dont think so) "free night in any room that's available no matter what room it is" Sorry I've worked in customer service my entire life so I know what it's like, guess I look at it from their point of view more often so I don't get worked up if my added requests aren't always granted. Best advice though, book a basic room and try at checkin or try another property
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Get in touch with the hotel. I had this issue when trying to use my 2 bonus certificates, but emailed the reservations people at the hotel in question and they upgraded me. You need to book the room first and then send them the confirmation number, at least that was what I had to do.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Get in touch with the hotel. I had this issue when trying to use my 2 bonus certificates, but emailed the reservations people at the hotel in question and they upgraded me. You need to book the room first and then send them the confirmation number, at least that was what I had to do.
You are a Plat Prem, the OP is a Gold. You have not identified the hotel nor when you wanted to use the certs, neither has the OP.

Methinks that given the disparity in status and the lack of further info, the OP may not be sucessful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.