Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Is this the case?
True. It's an 'anniversary' free night.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:45 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by philemer
True. It's an 'anniversary' free night.
That explains why it hasn't shown up in my account yet. @:-)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Applied to SPG Reservation

My Chase Free Night certificate arrived yesterday. Today I made a reservation at a Four Points. Could not see how to apply the cert, so I booked at 25,000 points and called reservations (electronic person, by the way, greeted me by name and welcomed me back to Residence Inn????). Anyway, agent had some trouble finding the reservation and after a few minutes discussion transferred me to an SPG reservations agent. SPG agent did not get my account info passed automatically, but was able to find the reservation from the confirmation number. Took another few minutes, but she was able to attach the Chase cert and refund my 25,000 points. Phone log says whole thing took about 12 minutes.
SanDiego1K, Happy and polyesther like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Michilander
My Chase Free Night certificate arrived yesterday. <snip> SPG agent did not get my account info passed automatically, but was able to find the reservation from the confirmation number. Took another few minutes, but she was able to attach the Chase cert and refund my 25,000 points. Phone log says whole thing took about 12 minutes.
Yours is the first successful report I've read. Well done.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have a free Marriott Visa Free Night Certificate. It will expire next April.

I have received these certificates for years - always category 1 to 5, equivalent to 35,000 MR points.

But I now understand that these certificates are only equivalent to 25,000 points - which is what is stated as the points value of that certificate in my account. Does that still make it a category 4 certificate or a category 5 certificate.

I ask, because i want to book in a hotel where the web site says is a category 5 hotel, requiring 35,000 MR points to book a night.

Have the MR rewards categories and their point values changed, or not - since Marriott Rewards and SPG rewards merged?
So I do not know whether my certificate will work. There is also confusion on the MR agent's part, on this question - when I spoke to him. He agreed my certificate stated it included category 1-5 hotels, but he could not book a hotel using my certifcate that on the web site stated it was a category 5 hotel, but requiring 35,000 MR points.
The Chase FN cert is always the OLD Category 5 which is at the 25K level. Unless your certs are from different sources that have different T&Cs. That most of us on this forum probably have no idea what such cert is about as there is NO 35k value cert prior to the NEW credit cards introduced very recently.

OTOH, you can call and try your luck to request a one time courtesy to swap the 25K cert for a 35K cert. The data points reported are in the link provided by someone just a post below yours.

Still, make no mistake the Chase FN is a 25K value cert UNTIL the new cards came along just recently.

Of course the MR reward categories have changed, DRASTICALLY.

The new charts have been made available by Marriott SINCE JUNE, but did not become effective Until August 18th.

There are NUMEROUS information and discussion on the new charts and how some hotels moved from the old 30K Category SIX on the old chart, to the new 25K Category FOUR on the new chart, and related information through out the internet and in the FT forum.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 7, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Here is another twist, I upgraded from the Visa Premier to the Premier Plus at mid cycle of the earlier. When should I expect my free certificate, at the previous card anniversary or the new one. I think it will be one year from the new card but then I shorted myself for half a night. Comments ?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
The Chase FN cert is always the OLD Category 5 which is at the 25K level. Unless your certs are from different sources that have different T&Cs. That most of us on this forum probably have no idea what such cert is about as there is NO 35k value cert prior to the NEW credit cards introduced very recently.

OTOH, you can call and try your luck to request a one time courtesy to swap the 25K cert for a 35K cert. The data points reported are in the link provided by someone just a post below yours.

Still, make no mistake the Chase FN is a 25K value cert UNTIL the new cards came along just recently.

Of course the MR reward categories have changed, DRASTICALLY.

The new charts have been made available by Marriott SINCE JUNE, but did not become effective Until August 18th.

There are NUMEROUS information and discussion on the new charts and how some hotels moved from the old 30K Category SIX on the old chart, to the new 25K Category FOUR on the new chart, and related information through out the internet and in the FT forum.
There were new hotel rewards charts for both Marriott and SPG hotels in March 2018.

Has Marriott introduced new charts in June - if so, where can I find them?

This is what showed up when I googled- for 2018 and 2019 hotel cateogories/rewards chart (see link):

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/pointsGridPopUp.mi

As you can see, category 5 is equivalent to 35,000 MR points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.