Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
What Pinniped & VA1379 have said--except that MR may be switching to e-certificates soon if they haven't already.
I'm waiting for my new cert. for my membership anniversary, which will allow Cat.5 hotels !
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:03 pm

As of, I believe, February 1st, the free night certificates issued for enrolling with a Marriott Rewards credit card are being sent as electronic certificates. The Premier anniversary certificates are still being mailed as paper certificates.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
I received two e-certificates, one for business and one for premier applications.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
If the initial certificates are now electronic, why can't the anniversary ones also be electronic?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by VA1379
If the initial certificates are now electronic, why can't the anniversary ones also be electronic?
I don't have an answer to that. They will mostly be electronic in the future, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Any idea how long after the certificate issuance appears as a line item in your Marriott Rewards account that you will see the e-cert? Mrs. MileKing applied for the Premier card about 1.5 weeks ago. Although she has not received the card yet, according to her Marriott Rewards account the certificate was issued on April 15, but she has not received any e-mail cert.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by MileKing
Any idea how long after the certificate issuance appears as a line item in your Marriott Rewards account that you will see the e-cert? Mrs. MileKing applied for the Premier card about 1.5 weeks ago. Although she has not received the card yet, according to her Marriott Rewards account the certificate was issued on April 15, but she has not received any e-mail cert.
May I ask where you on the MR account website you see the ecert listed?

I received my new Premier Card @10 days ago but to date no mention of the ecert or bonus signup miles has appeared on my account page.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Originally Posted by bk3day
May I ask where you on the MR account website you see the ecert listed?
Try this link.

https://marriott.com/rewards/myaccount/unusedcerts.mi
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BigYellowDog
Yes, this link seems to work. I don't see any cert number listed so how does one go about associating the issued reward with an existing award reservation (for later this year)?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 7:34 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You should be able to call up Marriott Rewards and they can help you get an award applied to an existing reservation.

Though, and I may be mistaken here, I think the hotel will just pull the appropriate e-cert out of your account when you check-in. So you may not need to do anything, but make sure the e-cert is in your account. If it isn't showing up for you online, you probably should call Marriott Rewards and validate that they can see it.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
is there any way to get past the 6 month requirement? I have 2 certs issued 2/6/7 and 2/11/7, and I need the free nights 8/23-25/7. Is there no way around this? Perhaps a coupon connection exchange; or are they non-transferable? FYI I do have the e-certs.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 8:07 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by psychtobe
is there any way to get past the 6 month requirement? I have 2 certs issued 2/6/7 and 2/11/7, and I need the free nights 8/23-25/7. Is there no way around this? Perhaps a coupon connection exchange; or are they non-transferable? FYI I do have the e-certs.
They cannot be extended, reissued or redeposited for points, and they are non-transferable.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:11 am
Original Member

Mrs. MileKing called Marriott Reservations this past weekend to have the VISA e-cert applied to an existing award reservation. Mrs. MileKing never received an e-mail about the cert, but the rep was able to access her MR account and locate the cert number. However, the rep was unable to apply the cert to the reservation. Seems they have been having trouble applying certs to existing reservations and stated that only the hotel could do so. So, I wonder if we are headed for problems on check-in since we will only have an e-cert number for the hotel to use. They can't make it easy, can they?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:26 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Originally Posted by MileKing
However, the rep was unable to apply the cert to the reservation. Seems they have been having trouble applying certs to existing reservations and stated that only the hotel could do so.
This wasn't the case last year. I used my previous Visa cert. on an existing 3-night reservation. The elite line added the cert. and amended the existiing reservation without a problem. I received a new confirmation e-mail reflecting the amended reservation and printed it out just in case, but there was no problem at check-in.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
not to belabor the point... but the e-cert says 'non-transferable' - what does that mean exactly? Does that mean I'm the only one who can redeem it (from my account)? Or that I have to actually stay in the room? Can I make a reservation for my sister, for example?

truly I'm not trying to do something I'm not allowed - just want to understand what is permissible under the T&Cs of the e-cert (all it says is 'non-transferable').

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.