Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold HH
Originally Posted by estnet
For others I think it is important to remember that the beach situation varies tremendously - you have it good, when I was there it was quite wavy and there were tons of debris (including used syringes and palm fronds, etc) in the water as well as a form of sea urchin in the shallow water. Every day I saw people limping after encountering some in the sand - they were small and unlike the ones I am familiar with so hard to see and avoid.
I can confirm the sea urchins. Just use the complimentary water shoes the hotel provides and it is no problem! My husband and I were lucky enough to get clear, calm water while we were there last month, which allowed us to see that there were sea urchins under our feet at all times. Seriously, there must be thousands and thousands in the shallow waters. They kind of bury themselves, so they're not apparent at first. Our feet kicked up the sand, exposing the urchins a bit. As a result, you may notice that fish follow your feet and eat the exposed urchins. It's quite cool to watch, but there was no way we were going in the water without shoes!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
I must have really think skin because I played a lot in the ocean with my daughter and didn't have any sea urchin problem. On the last day I felt a little sting but I forgot about it after a few minutes. Also I didn't see anyone on the property wearing water shoes so the hotel certainly doesn't do a good job advertising this free feature.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:28 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Yoksel
I must have really think skin because I played a lot in the ocean with my daughter and didn't have any sea urchin problem. On the last day I felt a little sting but I forgot about it after a few minutes. Also I didn't see anyone on the property wearing water shoes so the hotel certainly doesn't do a good job advertising this free feature.
I think it depends, they are not there all the time. For sure I saw none when I was there last summer.
From the hotels perspective there is no point freaking people out with talk of sea urchins when they are not there. I presume whenever they appear, the staff whip out the free sea-shoes at the beach shack
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by seat2seat
I can confirm the sea urchins. Just use the complimentary water shoes the hotel provides and it is no problem! My husband and I were lucky enough to get clear, calm water while we were there last month, which allowed us to see that there were sea urchins under our feet at all times. Seriously, there must be thousands and thousands in the shallow waters. They kind of bury themselves, so they're not apparent at first. Our feet kicked up the sand, exposing the urchins a bit. As a result, you may notice that fish follow your feet and eat the exposed urchins. It's quite cool to watch, but there was no way we were going in the water without shoes!
I got a few darts under one foot, last December and was hesitating to go back to the hotel just because of that issue. Some darts were stuck for a few days and it was unpleasant.

As the weather was really not good (2 typhoons) when we were there last year, I wanted to give the hotel another shot and decided to buy those shoes, before booking another stay next December.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by soy
I think it depends, they are not there all the time. For sure I saw none when I was there last summer.
From the hotels perspective there is no point freaking people out with talk of sea urchins when they are not there. I presume whenever they appear, the staff whip out the free sea-shoes at the beach shack
No - when I was there I was warned, shown pictures and advised not to go in the water - but no shoes offered (this was Nov last year)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:42 pm

Just returned from JW Phu Quoc

I just returned. I confirm there were signs warning of possible sea urchins. There were no visible shoes to borrow but we brought our own. However from 27-31 March we went in the sea daily and did not use shoes nor see any. Just clean, clear, calm waters and soft, clean sand. So I guess it is not a constant.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold HH
Originally Posted by estnet
No - when I was there I was warned, shown pictures and advised not to go in the water - but no shoes offered (this was Nov last year)
I should have noted this before, but the water shoes were never mentioned or offered to us by the resort. If I had not read reviews beforehand, I would have had no idea they were available. When we were there in early March, there were two huge baskets of shoes right next to the paddle boards and kayaks on the beach. It's easy to miss, and I didn't see anyone else take them the whole time we were there. Hopefully the shoes are there and hiding, rather than not being offered at all!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Soon we will find out does a new program gives a free breakfast to high status members in Marriott resorts&spas.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Does anyone have any experience staying in a Emerald Double Room at this property?
I am travelling with wife and 2 children (4 and 1) and wanted to see if anyone knew if the double beds were decent size (i.e. can accommodate 2 adults rather than say 1.5 adults).
what would happen is that the children will probably want to sleep with mummy on the same bed - so hope it wouldn't be too squashed.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
To restart a popular conversation as of late in this thread - my understanding is that the new combined reward programme will now include free breakfast for elites at resort properties. So, if correct, this hotel will presumably have to backtrack on the recent move from free breakfast for elites to 50% breakfast discounts for elites?

I have a 1 week stay booked for August, booked when breakfast was free (and hoped it would still be offered as we're a family of 4). Firstly, a full plate of breakfast lasagne was wafted under my nose, then someone came along and ate half of it, now someone's about to add another dollop but hasn't yet turned the serving spoon over. The suspense is killing me - will I get the full plate, the half plate or will I have to take my own tropical granola and some longlife milk?!?!?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
We booked this one next March )2019). Hopefully free brekkie for Gold!
Old May 3, 2018, 1:21 pm

How are the on-property dining options for lunch/dinner here?
For those of you who dined at any of the hotel's restaurants, how did you like the food?
Also, price-wise, are the restaurants on the expensive side, or are they comparable to restaurants outside the hotel?
Old May 3, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agjil
How are the on-property dining options for lunch/dinner here?
For those of you who dined at any of the hotel's restaurants, how did you like the food?
Also, price-wise, are the restaurants on the expensive side, or are they comparable to restaurants outside the hotel?
numerous posts in this thread address your questions.....
estnet likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: UA Premier-1K, DM,SM,BA,AA & SPG
Currently at the property. It was a "fight" to have them honor the platnium breakfast promise pre-March 2nd (I booked last July and verbally confirmed with property about breakfast). Food prices are ridiculous for Vietnam but what you would expect at high-end resort (actually lower than most). If you get breakfast at 50%, leverage the happy hours and are a modest drinker you should expect to run a tab of $130-$160 a day for a couple. The property is isolated so going out for dinner will add up in time and taxi costs (might make sense for a family of 4). 20% discount for platniums plus opportunity to buy hotel credit at a 10-20% discount does help (for example you can buy 11,500,000 vnd for 10,000,000).
Old May 21, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Currently also at the property on 7 night travel package as a Gold member. Sent an email asking if I could spread out my stay in different rooms and buildings and got some push back both on the email reply and check-in even though its currently low season. I was a bit surprised given how proactive requests were handled when Thomas was around but I guess those initiatives left once he left the property.

One of the reasons why I wanted to sample different rooms was to differentiate the room categories since the Marriott website doesn't help and also to see how much variance on the room's design depending on which building it was located in. After some nights in and finding the hotel's Vietnamese website and with the help of Google Translate, I was able to find more information.

1. Emerald Bay View
-Lower floors, but not ground floors and more prevalent between rooms 1104 to 3605 (have landscaping and pools in front of them). There are 7 buildings and the higher you go, the farther away from the main street (Rue de Lamark) that contains most of the restaurants, gym, lobby, etc.
2. Deluxe Emerald Bay View
-Same as above except on the higher floors. I believe this is the room that I'm currently in. Good upgrade.
3. Le Jardin
-Pretty much means on the ground floor between rooms 1104 to 3605 and instead of a balcony, you get an semi-private outdoor patio. While it is private in the sense that there's a side fence-door to separate it from the nearby walkway, it's public to the heavy traffic from the buildings to Rue de Lamarck. Bay views are also somewhat obstructed due to the landscape, pools, etc. More of a downgrade than an upgrade. Expect your curtains to always be closed.
4. Emerald Bay Front
-The Deluxe Le Jardin or Extra Deluxe Bay View. The ground floor versions are not as high traffic, secluded, less obstructed, and have more of a outdoor porch than a patio, usually outside rooms 1104 to 3605. The non-ground floor ones are in the buildings closest to the bay outside of room 1104 to 3605. Good to great upgrade depending on your preferences and room.
5. Rue de Lamarck Suite
-On the second floor main street, location is convenient but not secluded. Bigger than the standard but almost no pictures online, more of the street itself than the suite which says a lot. Patios on both sides but one side views the back of Buildings 1-7, and the other side views the other end of Rue de Lamark street and the adjacent property. If you don't care about views or the privacy, this is the best category below Turquoise and Villas. Slight upgrade or downgrade depending on your preferences.
6. Turquoise Suite
-Best non-villa category. Proper suite and usually on the top floor. The best one has it's Building's clock tower on it's patio which has it's own seating area. Some even have it's own pool. Best upgrade!
7. Villas
-Self explanatory. Just no views. Vary between one and three bedrooms. Not sure if anyone has been upgraded to this category yet.
8. Lamark House
-Super Villas and even has its own views.

Many rooms are connected in pairs or at least have a main door prior entering your particular room. Also summer is usually low season while winter is high season. Make sure to come on a Saturday since the activities schedule is released on Sunday and activities book out even on low season.
ankomonkey, kodansha999 and jtlyn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.