Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5 is very small so i wouldnt see it as an upgrade unless a separate very small room is essential. You get a lot of noise from activities below too and obviously no ocean view whatsoever... perhaps good for kids with nanny imo..
ALGU likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:12 am

Thanks for the detailed breakdown ALGU, your list is very helpful.
ALGU likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:40 pm

Rooms at Building 7 have the best ocean views
ALGU likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:43 am

I went to view a number of rooms in different buildings and agree building 7 has best views.
ALGU and kodansha999 like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
currently on the property.
beautiful and very good value.
as a gold - think got upgraded to a delux emerald bay view (higher floor in block 3) - which is a great view already.
ALGU likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Just wanted to provide an update. Just a few days ago the property started undergoing some construction, landscaping, and maintenance to repair some of the damage that people were noting on earlier posts. Most of which were in front of buildings 2 and 3. Many of the people I met on the daily "classroom" activities shared the same building also turned out to be Elite members, so I'm currently questioning the properties decision to house most of us there in the first place. So if you're coming anytime soon, try to avoid buildings 3 and 4. I asked to be moved and got relocated to Building 7 and do agree the views are much better, but I think the better views do come at a cost with significantly increased distance. The high floor views are all pretty good regardless of which building you're in. Got a corner room which gave us a nicer and larger balcony and windows on multiple sides so really appreciate them for putting us here. I think this was a further upgrade from an Emerald Deluxe to an Emerald Bay Front. They also offered 50% off all massage treatments (minus the promos) to every guest this week as compensation.

The property has a weekly cocktail hour on Thursday at the Pink Pearl where Gold & Platinum members and some other guests get to meet with management. I've been very impressed on how receptive management has been in reviewing feedback. Raza (Front Office), Verun (F&B), Flora (Guest Experience) were all present and I was told the GM will attend though he was off-island this time around. Make sure to voice your opinions with them when you get the chance as they actively listen to feedback. Verun even recounted many of my comment cards at the restaurants and room service. After our conversation with Raza, he proactively moved us to a Turqoise Suite also in Building 7. I'll write more about each building in the next post since I keep getting flagged for URLs for not enough posts.

Last edited by ALGU; May 25, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 10:23 pm

On Friday nights they have a Night Market where outside vendors come in along with some of the in-house F&B departments. 20% Discount on F&B & the Spa between 6pm to 10:30 pm on Fridays. They exchange your VND to Lamark Coupons at a 1 to 1 rate. If you don't have enough cash, you can charge it to your room but this CANNOT be deducted from your prepaid credit.

Daily Happy Hour Buy 1 get 1 at Red Rum between 3-5pm and Chemistry Bar between 5-7 pm. Discount or promotions in general at the resort do not stack with Elite member discounts anyways.

Here are current the list of Gold member benefits:
-50% off Tempus Fugit breakfast from 6:30 am to 10:30am
-Complimentary Premium internet. However, both guest and public wifi haven't asked for my name or room number.
-Free 10-pieces of photocopy per stay
-Free 10-pieces of printing per stay
-Free 2 piece pressing service per stay
-15% discount with F&B outlets. (Plats get 20%)
-20% Laundry Discount
-20% Spa Treatments
Old May 25, 2018, 10:25 pm

Here's some info about each building

Main Buildings (1-3, 5-6 floors each)
#1 Department of Biology (1101 to 1103) & Zoology (main building)
-1101 to 1103 are Emerald Bay Front ground floor rooms in its own mini building. Great location as it's close to the Sand Pool/Whirlpool, beach, Tempus Fugit, Kid's Club, and the rest of Rue de Lamark. You will get quite a bit of foot traffic in front of your room and maybe some sound leakage from the night performances, but other than that excellent rooms. 1104 and onwards are in the main building and contain the rest of the room categories.
#2 Department of Agriculture
-In fitting with the building's theme, has tons of landscaping and gardens around the building and is in front of the track and behind the sandpool. Because of this, it has the least direct access to beach and has high traffic. Second largest building so high chance of being housed here.
#3 Department of Concology
-Largest building (really two buildings) and the only one with 6 floors. In front of the shell pool. Majority of everyone I met was housed here. This and building 2 have a high amount of construction nearby. You won't hear it in the room but you will have a higher than normal foot traffic getting detoured through the building's pathways. The only bloc with fountains.

Note: The standard Elite upgrade is to a Deluxe Emerald Bay View room which is probably why most Elites are housed in the main buildings due to the higher floors and amount of rooms.

Beach buildings (4-7, 3 to 4 floors each)
#4 Department of Ornithology
-In between Red Rum and the Sun Pool. It's the middle building so has more privacy than the main buildings while still within relative proximity from Rue de Lamarck. Buildings 4 and onward have near or almost near direct access to the beach and the point where most ground floor rooms go from Le Jardin rooms to Emerald Bay Fronts.
#5 Department of Fine Arts
-The only beach building in front of a pool, the Sun Pool. The Sun Pool is the smallest and has the least traffic since it's the farthest one away. Not sure if I would want a ground floor due to the lack of privacy from the pool. Also a two-part building. The smaller section colored in pink and isn't in front of the Sun Pool.
#6 Department of Anthropology
-The coolest building in my opinion. Even has human footprints for lights at night in the front. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that this building doesn't have any elevators. Probably has the lowest occupancy rates out of all buildings.
#7 Department of Architecture
-As many others have mentioned, probably the best building. If you're situated here, it means you're likely in an Emerald Bay Front or a Turquoise Suite. The corner rooms (7XX1 or 7XX4) have the best balconies as the building has tower-columns for corners rather than usual corners in the other buildings. The middle rooms are usually Turquoise Suites. The ground floors are unique that it will have zero thru-traffic. This building along with building 5&6 will have much more walking distance since the the main pathway is now under construction.

#9 Villa Buildings
-91XX through 94XX are three bedroom villas, while 9501 & 9601 are one bedroom villas. No views and no direct access to the beach. On the main pathway so its the closest to the current construction. Each villa has its own pool and kitchen as well as an outdoor kitchenette and bathroom located in the small housing that contains the pool's mechanics. Very private, you can stay here and not see a single outsider. The three bedroom villas have separate front entrances for each bedroom. Which means they can also be converted to one-bedroom if you get lucky though not sure what the chances of this happening.

Lamarck House 1&2
-Presidential Suites. Not yet fully finished so was not yet able to tour. Should be opening up soon! These do have access to the beach but only house 1 has a pool.

Not my videos but here are some examples of the rooms I stayed in with the exact same layout.
Deluxe
Bay Front
Turqoise

I'll be reviewing the activities and F&B experience after my stay is included. My goal is to make this review as extensive as possible so if you any questions please feel to ask.
jtlyn likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I've stayed in turquoise suites in block 4 and 7. Both are lovely. The views are slightly better in 7 but have a farther walk but nothing too outrageous .

This hotel absolutely stunning. Just service in our last stay was horrible - twice served massively undercooked chicken, 7 times they brought wrong dish, massage person cut treatment time in half because she forgot how long treatment was supposed to be, probably the worst concierge team I have ever dealt was (forgot to reserve things or booked the wrong thing) .

But the place is so beautiful and activity team so great I'd go back and I'd recommend in... Just note that this is a 3 star service place over all, w some people giving 7 stars. Very uneven .but a 7 star hardware spot

Last edited by SHLTP; May 27, 2018 at 2:08 am
Old May 26, 2018, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
ALGU, thanks for the detailed trip report & pics. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by ALGU
Just wanted to provide an update. Just a few days ago the property started undergoing some construction, landscaping, and maintenance to repair some of the damage that people were noting on earlier posts. Most of which were in front of buildings 2 and 3. Many of the people I met on the daily "classroom" activities shared the same building also turned out to be Elite members, so I'm currently questioning the properties decision to house most of us there in the first place. So if you're coming anytime soon, try to avoid buildings 3 and 4. I asked to be moved and got relocated to Building 7 and do agree the views are much better, but I think the better views do come at a cost with significantly increased distance. The high floor views are all pretty good regardless of which building you're in. Got a corner room which gave us a nicer and larger balcony and windows on multiple sides so really appreciate them for putting us here. I think this was a further upgrade from an Emerald Deluxe to an Emerald Bay Front. They also offered 50% off all massage treatments (minus the promos) to every guest this week as compensation.

The property has a weekly cocktail hour on Thursday at the Pink Pearl where Gold & Platinum members and some other guests get to meet with management. I've been very impressed on how receptive management has been in reviewing feedback. Raza (Front Office), Verun (F&B), Flora (Guest Experience) were all present and I was told the GM will attend though he was off-island this time around. Make sure to voice your opinions with them when you get the chance as they actively listen to feedback. Verun even recounted many of my comment cards at the restaurants and room service. After our conversation with Raza, he proactively moved us to a Turqoise Suite also in Building 7. I'll write more about each building in the next post since I keep getting flagged for URLs for not enough posts.
Shame I didn't make the weekly cocktail / Managers's drinks last Thursday.

I was housed in block 3 - but i did not have complaints about the noise for the pathway construction (was there from Wed - Sat).

Overall I liked the resort during low season and wouldn't mind going back again then.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:04 am

also wanted to add

i am not sure about the negative reports on the cleanliness of the beach? when i was there the water was pristine and no rubbish to be seen.

i was warned of jellyfish but i did not encounter any in my 1hr or so in the water...
Old May 28, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The beach conditions are HIGHLY DEPENDENT ON WEATHER AND WIND - none of which the hotel controls (altho they make a valiant effort to clean up) - you were lucky - I was not (tons of trash scooped up each day in Nov-Dec). Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean others experiences are invalid - just different (and both are quite real!).

Originally Posted by ermen
also wanted to add

i am not sure about the negative reports on the cleanliness of the beach? when i was there the water was pristine and no rubbish to be seen.

i was warned of jellyfish but i did not encounter any in my 1hr or so in the water...
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:47 pm

So from the sounds of it after Aug 1 this (even as a resort) will provide free breakfast for new Plutinum (old gold) is that the way you understand it as well? That would be exceptional!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Serious question: How many people stayed at the property because it was somewhere they actually *wanted* to go to, versus people who fell for a meme redemption from shameless credit card shill bloggers hyping the place up?
ALGU likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.