Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soy
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address:
[email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]

> Plat Welcome amenity is 1k pts or Breakfast for Elite+1
——————————-
Previously posted and someone deleted it - It is the policy of this prop to try and upgrade P/Gs and even Ss on their first stay. If for some reason the property cannot upgrade the P/G/S member on their first stay they will be given upgrade priority on their next stay.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa, Vietnam [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Great trip. Hope you're at LeM in SGN.
Originally Posted by ftrichard

Yes I'm at LM SGN and I think I've found the source of all the garbage that washes up on the shores of Phu Quoc. I can see loads of garbage floating on the river from my 19th floor room here.

Thought I'd wrap up by confirming what Pseudo Nim said earlier. The Turquoise Suites are far superior to the villas. I had a chance to see one as my new friends invited me to see their villa one evening. It is gorgeous with very high ceilings, a huge ensuite and a long private swimming pool, but behind it was a forest (which means bugs). No view of the ocean whatsoever. Plus there is a dangerous step near the pool. I stepped closer to have a look at the pool and did not notice a step down and fell on my hands and knees. Scraped one knee and sprained a big toe (bruised and swollen now) but it could have been far worse if the deck had been cement or tile instead of wood!

Killer step especially at night!

On check-out day, Seven offered me a gift wrapped mug with Lamarck University on it. Nice gesture.

Overall, I really liked this property, and will likely return, even as a category 5. The staff was simply amazing and I loved the property itself.
ankomonkey and ftrichard like this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Jan 28, 2019 at 2:15 am Reason: added picture
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Marriott, Lufthansa Miles&More, Accor
Angry Got walked for upcoming stay in March

We came to this wonderful resort last year in February and were absolutely thrilled by the architecture, decor and friendliness of the staff. As my husband was gold member at that time, we were upgraded to the Lamarck suite, which we enjoyed thoroughly even though we were astonished that the living room had no TV and poor light, so essentially had no use. Our overall experience was fantastic and decided already back then that we would come back.
In July 2018, we booked our stay for March 2019 with redemption points before the merger and before the increase of the redemption rate, so well in advance, 8 months for 6 nights and another 3 nights with cash rate.
Now, on the 31th Jan 2019, we were informed by the hotel that they would be booked to full capacity from Thu 07- Sun 10th March due to a large wedding, though interrupting our stay, we have booked from 05-14Mar, they proposed 3 options.
"OPTION 1 : we can change your booking to a new set of dates in accordance to your preference at no cost. In addition, we would also like to extend a confirmed complimentary room upgrade for the entire duration of your new stay.
OPTION 2 : if you wish to cancel your booking , we will make a 100% refund of your Marriott Reward points and add an additional 10,000 points from our side.
OPTION 3 : If you wish to keep the dates , we will relocate you to another 5 star hotel at no additional cost only on the days of the event. "

We did not know that Marriott could unilaterally cancel a reservation that was booked well in advance! My husband is now platinum elite, we are returning guests and booked a long stay of total 9 days. I would expect the hotel to ask for volunteers first and not to choose a platinum guest.
After debating for 2 days, we chose for option 1, wanting to switch our 3 cancelled nights with the cash rate nights. As there is no similar 5 star hotel on the island. The closest we found is the La Veranda Resort by Sofitel with colonial architecture and decor but much less spectacular and less expensive. We have secured these 3 nights asap.
When I mentioned Marriott's Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, which would grant us additional 200usd+90,000 mrp as compensation when they cannot honor a guest's reservation, the hotel did not know anything about this and asked me to address this to their loyalty team.
The lurkers team is now intervening on our behalf.
We are extremely dissatisfied how the hotel treats walking guests, they should offer more compensation for the inconvenience, even the substitute hotel they offered was not clear yet. The least they could have offered were guaranteed turquoise suite for entire stay ( they offered only for 3 nights upon my request), dinner voucher or massage.. very poorly handled.
Will keep you posted after our return.
p.s. after 14 days, and after customer care intervention, the hotel has granted the ultimate reservation guarantee

Last edited by luxk69; Feb 15, 2019 at 1:01 am
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Thanks for your update on the best reservation guarantee. Is the compensation per night or for the entire stay? Either way, looks like a nice outcome from a poor situation.

Wish I replied sooner, on the walking tour activity last March, our guide took us to the Premier Village which can be accessed if you keep walking on the same road that connects the dorms/buildings. It looked quite nice and was told it was owned by the same parent company of the JW, so wanted to see if you could pitch that as your alternate accommodation.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:35 am

The compensation is for the entire stay.
We walked up to the Premier village with the activity team last year, as they had only a soft opening, they would not let us visit a room.
My understanding is, that even though it is the same Vietnamese owner as the JW, this one is under Accorhotel management. They don't have this beatiful French colonial style that I appreciate at the JW.
A new Sheraton will open next year after a 2 years delay, will see if we go there if we ever come back to Phu Quoc
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:36 am

The compensation is for the entire stay.
We walked up to the Premier village with the activity team last year, as they had only a soft opening, they would not let us visit a room.
My understanding is, that even though it is the same Vietnamese owner as the JW, this one is under Accorhotel management. They don't have this beatiful French colonial style that I appreciate at the JW.
A new Sheraton will open next year after a 2 years delay, will see if we go there if we ever come back to Phu Quoc
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: X MPC GO, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It's almost been a year since I've planned this trip and we are still very excited to visit this property.
For those who have stayed recently, can you confirm that the 50% off breakfast for Gold Elite's still exist?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:26 pm
THR

Have booked for six nights over Christmas this year for 175,000 points... also interested to know whether Gold get 50% off breakfasts.

I only have Gold status so don't expect any upgrades - have a "Emerald Bay View" larger guest room, which seems good enough from the photos!

Now just to sort out flights. Seems Vietnam isn't the cheapest location to get to.

EDIT: Having reviewed in more detail, seems the 50% off doesn't happen now.

Last edited by THR; Feb 23, 2019 at 5:40 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:33 pm

“As per Marriott Bonvoy Policy, resorts do not offer Marriott Bonvoy Elite Members Breakfast as per a standard. The breakfast buffet is at our Tempus Fugit restaurant from 06:30am to 10:30am. The public rate for Breakfast Buffet is at VND780,000. And for children under 6 years old will be entitled for breakfast with complimentary, children from 6 to 13 years old breakfast charge will be half-price of adult. However, please allow me to introduce the Resort Cash Credit check in deal program is the discount program which is included the Food & Beverage outlets and Spa service. Please kindly see the attached file for more details and our colleagues will assist you directly upon check in.”

$44CAD, is that per person? That is kind of laughable. The whole Bonvoy switch is introducing so many small inconveniences.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Too_Fly1

$44CAD, is that per person? That is kind of laughable. The whole Bonvoy switch is introducing so many small inconveniences.
That's US$34 and very much inline with what high end resorts are charging for breakfast in Asia. The breakfast buffet is massive and nothing like what you would get in NA. On top of the "normal NA breakfast fare", there is a huge Vietnamese section and a Japanese section. It is more like a dinner than a breakfast.

And if you read my review from last month, you would have seen that you can forego the 1000 pt welcome amenity in exchange for the buffet breakfast (7 days worth in my case).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
That's US$34 and very much inline with what high end resorts are charging for breakfast in Asia. The breakfast buffet is massive and nothing like what you would get in NA. On top of the "normal NA breakfast fare", there is a huge Vietnamese section and a Japanese section. It is more like a dinner than a breakfast.

And if you read my review from last month, you would have seen that you can forego the 1000 pt welcome amenity in exchange for the buffet breakfast (7 days worth in my case).
I get that, but it’s still a tough pill to swallow considering last year we paid less than that at a 5* hotel in southern France. Unfortunately I won’t be Plat by check in, so I won’t receive a welcome amenity.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Too_Fly1

I get that, but it’s still a tough pill to swallow considering last year we paid less than that at a 5* hotel in southern France. Unfortunately I won’t be Plat by check in, so I won’t receive a welcome amenity.
OK, I'm bewildered. All the high end hotels I've stayed at in France (mind you it was Paris), charge at least 45 Euros for a much smaller breakfast buffet (along the lines of a NA breakfast buffet).

I suggest you splurge on breakfast and skip lunch. That's what I did every day.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
OK, I'm bewildered. All the high end hotels I've stayed at in France (mind you it was Paris), charge at least 45 Euros for a much smaller breakfast buffet (along the lines of a NA breakfast buffet).

I suggest you splurge on breakfast and skip lunch. That's what I did every day.
Well, Vietnam is Paris and the cost of food is not even close. If Gold can forgo 1000 pt as well as Plat then it's a good deal (even better if it's multiple nights), BUT even tho there are lots of choices I found the buffet food poorly prepared (with the exception of fresh fruit, coffee made to order, pastries (excellent) and fresh coconuts). UMMV
OTOH - you could take a taxi (or a 15ish minute walk to the main road and get bahn mi or other local foods (if you're into that and are willing to eat local) including amazing pho, etc. (the pho at the hotel tasted like boiled water to me) for about USD 1 or less. Very much less expensive - and often tastier - but definitely not 5 star. "You pays your money and takes your choices"
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by estnet
Well, Vietnam is Paris and the cost of food is not even close. If Gold can forgo 1000 pt as well as Plat then it's a good deal (even better if it's multiple nights), BUT even tho there are lots of choices I found the buffet food poorly prepared (with the exception of fresh fruit, coffee made to order, pastries (excellent) and fresh coconuts). UMMV
OTOH - you could take a taxi (or a 15ish minute walk to the main road and get bahn mi or other local foods (if you're into that and are willing to eat local) including amazing pho, etc. (the pho at the hotel tasted like boiled water to me) for about USD 1 or less. Very much less expensive - and often tastier - but definitely not 5 star. "You pays your money and takes your choices"
Oh - and I was surprised that when I went to a local restaurant for dinner where you choose your seafood and then they cook it - squid price per kilo was about the same as shrimp! Being from the US where squid is a lot cheaper than shrimp I thought it was a mistake - but no that's how it really is
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Hi Estnet how were the prices in the local restaurants and were there a variety to chose from?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The breakfast is expensive but wonderful. This is one of our favorite breakfasts in Asia for Marriott.

I have rarely had an.excellent buffet in Europe... Look at PDG.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.