Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The safe is a typical hotel room safe. Not huge, not too tiny. Should be OK for an average laptop plus some other items stacked on top of it. We got a netbook, an SLR camera with large lens, a small jewelery box, and two wallets in there fairly easily.

The fridge is the usual mini fridge.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I didn't pay attention to this one.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CSBM
We are using points for a stay for our family this summer.
Nice place. Just checked out of there yesterday.

Is there a safe in the room
Yes.

and will my husband's laptop fit in it?
No.

Is there a refrigerator in the room?
Yes.

We would like one to keep breakfast items for the week.
Unless you're talking about breakfast bars or something of that size, a full week's worth won't fit.

Is there anyplace in the hotel where they have free coffee in the morning?
Room has a coffee maker and two packets of regular and two packets of decaf (both 10% Kona).

As for other locations for free coffee, no.

There is a Starbucks in the Shops at Wailea, which is about a five-minute walk.

Any tidbits about the hotel would be great appreciatedCSBM
I checked out yesterday, the place was packed with Spring Breakers. Some things I discovered:

- Rooms are not very soundproof. It's not so much room-to-room noise, but rather the door into each room seems paper thin, and you can hear hallway conversations VERY easily.

- Parking is a little miserable, as parking spaces are very narrow...many vehicles double-park. Getting the covered parking is a little difficult (though it's the same price as uncovered parking). $20/day + tax for self-park, $25/day + tax for valet. Valet will get you covered parking. Point redemption covers the resort fee, but does not cover parking.

- Poolside drinks are terrible (very weak Pina Colada and Mai Tais). The bar eats that can be gotten poolside are okay. Two drinks and a bar eat will be nearly $50, including tip.

- You MUST try Matteo's, an Italian restaurant (mostly pizza) up the road. VERY good pizza and cheesecake (the pizza is meticulously made, not a NY or Chicago-style pizza at all).

Leave more questions here or PM if you want to learn more.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
On the path towards Wailea beach by the luau area, the luau checkin building servss as a coffee shop in the morning (starbucks coffee, tea, limited continental breakfast items).

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Mar 24, 2010 at 4:36 am
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:14 am
AMA

If the safe is too small for your laptop, you might ask for a larger one(no charge?).

Also, one thing I do if confronted by a too small safe is pull out the hard drive and store it in the safe. At least the data is safe, and if the laptop is swiped, you can replace it and not have to deal with backup/restore issues.

Last edited by AMA; Mar 28, 2010 at 8:56 am
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:08 am

I'm in my room at the hotel right now. I have a Dell Latitude D630, and it fits in the safe just fine. There isn't much room left, but it'll fit. I had to put it in lengthwise, and then rotate it once it was in the safe, so I could easily see a larger laptop not fitting.

Also, they're opening a Starbucks in the lobby in June. They've got the space blocked off, and they're working on it now.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
We are using points for a stay for our family this summer.
Is there a safe in the room and will my husband's laptop fit in it?

Is there a refrigerator in the room? We would like one to keep breakfast items for the week.

CSBM
others have answered your other questions - but I would add the refrigerator doesn not contain much - you will have to stock up several times.

Any tidbits about the hotel would be great appreciated

CSBM
Hotel breakfast not really worth the money, disappointing buffet - best breakfast in Wailea at the Four Seasons, not much more $$$.

Some of the rooms are really close to the ocean, stunning views. If that's important to you, price for upgrade can be very reasonable.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:03 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Last time I was there, the bar service was terrible.

There was only 1 bartender at the pool bar - no matter how busy it was.

I can't tell you how many times I had to wait in lines 5-6 people deep just to get a soda.

I would be curious to learn if the bar staffing situation has improved.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
So I'm trying to decide between these two. I've had the advantage of the recommendation of someone who spends 10 weeks a year in Hawaii and owns at this MCVI. He's stayed at both and prefers the new towers of the OC.

My ask is if anyone has the concierge emails at both of these properties. I am trying to find out about suite upgrades at the Wailea and also tower choice at the OC. TIA!

If anyone is interested, my current situation is:

OC 1BR Villa Oceanview - $1735 for 5 nights
Wailea Ocean front - 170K for 5 nights

I could use 2 $1000 GCs for the OC which is obviously a worse deal pts wise compared to the Wailea (270K vs 170K) but the 1BR villa beats out the deluxe room, so I'd like to see what the concierge comes back with.

This is for a honeymoon so want it to be as nice as possible.

Running into issue on the airfare too -- flying AA DFW-HNL because it's a 763 vs a DFW-OGG on a 757 (old version, not new). I know this is the MI forum but feel free to chime in if you have experience on interisland transfers vs direct.

Last edited by ttusqrl; Mar 22, 2010 at 3:12 pm
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:13 pm

Just a follow up on my post, we picked the Maui Ocean Club and it was amazing. We got put in the Timeshare tower section, ocean view High floor for the 70k points, I think it was 5 days. It was pretty quiet there, had pool to our selves at times. Really like the hotel, great location. no complaints.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by crollner
Just a follow up on my post, we picked the Maui Ocean Club and it was amazing. We got put in the Timeshare tower section, ocean view High floor for the 70k points, I think it was 5 days. It was pretty quiet there, had pool to our selves at times. Really like the hotel, great location. no complaints.
Unfortunately the 70K award is gone (or at least for the time of my honeymoon) otherwise I wouldn't be in the situation I laid out in my previous post. Count yourself lucky
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I am Platinum and I stayed at both of these properties last summer. I booked an oceanfront room at the Marriott Wailea on points and that is exactly what I got. It was in one of the buildings closet to the water and the view was great! There are also a few junior suites but I wasn't able to snag one. If you follow threads on this forum you will note the Wailea property is good about upgrading elite guests to better rooms (better views); however, I haven''t seen much mention of suite upgrades. For my honeymoon, I wouldn't want to leave the view to chance. So spending the points to guarantee the view like you're doing is worth it.

I also booked a 1 bedroom mountain view studio in the Lahaina and Napili towers at the Maui Ocean Club on points. That was all that was available for award bookings and that is exactly what I got when we arrived (no upgrade). The front desk staff was nice and generally took care of me as a Platinum; but they didn't do a room upgrade. I was really hoping to get a 1 bedroom or at least a studio with ocean view, In retrospect, I don't know if they are any ocean view studios. In general MVCI properties do not upgrade rooms.

Being that it is your honeymoon, by all means call (or email) the concierge and see what they can do for you. Both properties are very nice and I am sure you would have a good time at either one. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

--Jon

P.S. If you can afford both the time and money, spend 5 nights at each of them. You won't regret it. We spent 7 nights in Wailea and 6 nights at the Maui Ocean Club. We would have loved to stay longer but didn't have the time nor the funds.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by crollner
I stayed in the Lahaina and Napili Villas, A Marriott Vacation Club towers in December, had oceanview 7th floor. It was amazing. I dropped a ton of points for the 7 days. I would recommend trying to get into the villas vs the ocean club. they are at the same property btw.

i see some potential 30 or 35 % of some of the rates when i pulled up the website via marriott.com

Also i noticed that inventory was consistently changing when i was looking last yr. I started in Aug and changed my res at least 6 times before DEC 09. I was able to finally get 1 room 7 days oceanfront. Some was only for 1 day some for 4 days etc. So it was interesting trying to get 7 days in 1 room.
dave

Last edited by MNAudiS4; Mar 22, 2010 at 9:57 pm
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I would be curious to learn if the bar staffing situation has improved.
I haven't noticed an onerous line at the bar, but I probably haven't been there at peak times. I also never noticed more than one person staffing it, but again, I wasn't really there at the busiest times.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ttusqrl
This is for a honeymoon so want it to be as nice as possible.
My suggestion is to pay for the suite room and don't chance an upgrade. If not getting a suite upgrade would "dampen" your honeymoon experience, don't chance it. This is a once in a lifetime trip, so take control and reserve exactly what you want. Both of you will be happier during your stay that way.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:52 am

Agreed hhoope01, so now I'm looking for the conceirge email address at Wailea so I can ask about paid and/or point upgrades to a suite there. Anyone out there have it? I'm also looking for the OC concierge's email address to see if I can request which tower I'm in.

EDIT: Wailea email received, I'll call MI for OC tonight

Last edited by ttusqrl; Mar 23, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.