FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:14 pm
Jon Maiman

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I am Platinum and I stayed at both of these properties last summer. I booked an oceanfront room at the Marriott Wailea on points and that is exactly what I got. It was in one of the buildings closet to the water and the view was great! There are also a few junior suites but I wasn't able to snag one. If you follow threads on this forum you will note the Wailea property is good about upgrading elite guests to better rooms (better views); however, I haven''t seen much mention of suite upgrades. For my honeymoon, I wouldn't want to leave the view to chance. So spending the points to guarantee the view like you're doing is worth it.

I also booked a 1 bedroom mountain view studio in the Lahaina and Napili towers at the Maui Ocean Club on points. That was all that was available for award bookings and that is exactly what I got when we arrived (no upgrade). The front desk staff was nice and generally took care of me as a Platinum; but they didn't do a room upgrade. I was really hoping to get a 1 bedroom or at least a studio with ocean view, In retrospect, I don't know if they are any ocean view studios. In general MVCI properties do not upgrade rooms.

Being that it is your honeymoon, by all means call (or email) the concierge and see what they can do for you. Both properties are very nice and I am sure you would have a good time at either one. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

--Jon

P.S. If you can afford both the time and money, spend 5 nights at each of them. You won't regret it. We spent 7 nights in Wailea and 6 nights at the Maui Ocean Club. We would have loved to stay longer but didn't have the time nor the funds.