Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Anyone tried to book aaa rate using international aaa club cards? I tried entering my Swedish club number and it doesn't work. I have also tried using a random number and it didn't work either.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by nacho
Anyone tried to book aaa rate using international aaa club cards? I tried entering my Swedish club number and it doesn't work. I have also tried using a random number and it didn't work either.
It's Marriott IT so anything could be wrong. Did you try your three-digit club number or the entire card number? I don't know if they are using a process to just check the number to see if it could be valid (check-digit) or actually confirming the number is active. My guess is they are only checking USA AAA accounts, which would be wrong.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
It's Marriott IT so anything could be wrong. Did you try your three-digit club number or the entire card number? I don't know if they are using a process to just check the number to see if it could be valid (check-digit) or actually confirming the number is active. My guess is they are only checking USA AAA accounts, which would be wrong.
My card has only a 5 digit club number. I tried to put in 5 digits and it didn't work, put in 16 digit that looked like the example given for an AAA card and didn't work.

Then I found out that if I don't log in when I book (waited until they asked for guest details then I signed in), I don't need to put any number in - worked in both Chrome and Firefox.

Anyway I'll always have my card with me so they can always ask to see it if they want to.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
There's no such thing as an "international aaa club". The AAA is the American Automobile Association, which is actually a federation of regional automobile associations, such as the Automobile Club of Southern California, or AAA Colorado.

The AAA has reciprocal agreements with a number of international automobile clubs, entitling members of one club to receive service by another club. (This is how it works even within the US when I call for assistance in California using my NY membership.) It appears that in Sweden only Motormännens Riksförbund has a confirmed reciprocal agreement with the AAA, and that applies to roadside assistance and services like maps, not hotel discounts. None of these international clubs are the same as the AAA or its member clubs.

Marriott only has a marketing agreement with the AAA, AFAICT. While a hotel can certainly grant a discount to an international club member (and I suspect most FDCs wouldn't know the difference if they even asked for a card), there is no official requirement to do so.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Then I found out that if I don't log in when I book (waited until they asked for guest details then I signed in), I don't need to put any number in - worked in both Chrome and Firefox.
Just a heads up on that I learned the hard way which may have since been fixed... If you are not logged in when you make the reservation and sign in after you are asked any room request information you have stored might not be sent to the hotel. Long story, it was happening too often so I called Marriott and eventually spoke to an IT person who said this was a known issue. Since that conversation I make sure I am logged in first and have not had the problem.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
There's no such thing as an "international aaa club". .....It appears that in Sweden only Motormännens Riksförbund has a confirmed reciprocal agreement with the AAA, and that applies to roadside assistance and services like maps, not hotel discounts. None of these international clubs are the same as the AAA or its member clubs.

Marriott only has a marketing agreement with the AAA, AFAICT. While a hotel can certainly grant a discount to an international club member (and I suspect most FDCs wouldn't know the difference if they even asked for a card), there is no official requirement to do so.
Yep. Here in Sweden the AAA equivalent is Motormannen. I was told by Motormannen that I can get discount just like AAA members in the US, they even sent me a print out of a Show your card to get the discounts.

I know that we can get entrance discounts in other countries with the Show your card programme.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by bennos
There's no such thing as an "international aaa club". The AAA is the American Automobile Association, which is actually a federation of regional automobile associations, such as the Automobile Club of Southern California, or AAA Colorado.

The AAA has reciprocal agreements with a number of international automobile clubs, entitling members of one club to receive service by another club. (This is how it works even within the US when I call for assistance in California using my NY membership.) It appears that in Sweden only Motormännens Riksförbund has a confirmed reciprocal agreement with the AAA, and that applies to roadside assistance and services like maps, not hotel discounts. None of these international clubs are the same as the AAA or its member clubs.

I do believe that you are incorrect. First of all, when we request, we are able to receive a card with the AAA logo. This card states that we are eligible for discounts including Best Western, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt and MGM Resorts under the lodging banner.
Also, if you go to AAA's website, it states,

Global Discounts Program

Savings are also extended to members of all international SYC&S® and SYC!® clubs.
The program offers savings in the United States & Canada as well as various countries around the world.
Therefore, if Marriott is offering a discount to AAA members, they are also offering this discount to all international affiliates. So if Marriott is requiring AAA numbers, they should, like Hilton, accept all AAA numbers, including the 3 digit numbers for their international affiliates.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I am confused. I have not ever, ever, ever (is that enough?) had to enter my AAA # to book a Marriott AAA rate (or show the card, for that matter). Hilton yes to book, and once at a Holiday Inn Express at MUC they wanted to see the card, which of course I didn't have, but was able to log in to my account from the lobby public PC which satisfied the clerk.

And, I've never been asked to prove that I'm qualified for the Senior rate, which I am, but don't look it. The clerks probably feel sorry for whoever books that way.

I may have been asked for my corporate ID/business card twice over the decades.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by garkster
I am confused. I have not ever, ever, ever (is that enough?) had to enter my AAA # to book a Marriott AAA rate (or show the card, for that matter). Hilton yes to book, and once at a Holiday Inn Express at MUC they wanted to see the card, which of course I didn't have, but was able to log in to my account from the lobby public PC which satisfied the clerk.

And, I've never been asked to prove that I'm qualified for the Senior rate, which I am, but don't look it. The clerks probably feel sorry for whoever books that way.

I may have been asked for my corporate ID/business card twice over the decades.
If you show an ID tag check in, it probably indicates your age (birthdate).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Add AAA # to MR profile???

Lately, when I have been trying to view and./or book AAA rates, the Marriott site has been asking me to input my AAA membership # before I can see the all of the rates, and complete the booking process. This is happening midway through the search process, and is quite annoying.

I have been looking for a place in my MR profile to store my AAA membership # so that I will not need to input it anymore during the booking process, but I have not been able to find any place to store it. Does anyone know how I can store my AAA# in my profile? TIA!
Saidoh likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:10 pm

Asked and answered:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ership-30.html
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Lately, when I have been trying to view and./or book AAA rates, the Marriott site has been asking me to input my AAA membership # before I can see the all of the rates, and complete the booking process. This is happening midway through the search process, and is quite annoying.

I have been looking for a place in my MR profile to store my AAA membership # so that I will not need to input it anymore during the booking process, but I have not been able to find any place to store it. Does anyone know how I can store my AAA# in my profile? TIA!
Not an option today. Use a password manager or your browser autofill function.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
I don't think that's the OP's issue. Now in order to book a AAA rate online, you have to enter a AAA number. It's a pain. The OP wanted to save it in his profile so he didn't have to enter it every time, and who could blame him? Hilton requires it, but there's a place to save it in the profile too I believe. They also allow you to just use an international club code which is very easy to find via google. I'm sure Marriott is trying to avoid abuse of the AAA rate by requiring this extra step, but they should also provide a way to save it so it doesn't have to be done each time.
Saidoh likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
1. open a text file on a personal computer or smartphone*
2. type in your AAA number
3. save the file
4. when prompted for AAA number, open text file, copy and paste

*: optional to store on some website where you store stuff - assuming you can always get to the website; recommend having a copy of the text file on both phone and computer as a backup

David
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by DELee
1. open a text file on a personal computer or smartphone*
2. type in your AAA number
3. save the file
4. when prompted for AAA number, open text file, copy and paste

*: optional to store on some website where you store stuff - assuming you can always get to the website; recommend having a copy of the text file on both phone and computer as a backup

David
Thanks for the workaround suggestion. It seems as good as any other option at the moment.

This is really annoying. It effectively changes the requirements for booking AAA rates from "must show proof of membership at the time of stay" to "must show proof of membership at the time of booking".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.