Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The Marriott app just recently started requiring AAA number from me each and every time when making bookings. I just bail and book with Hyatt instead, as they seem to have no problem remembering my membership number.
Tanic, margarita girl and UA-NYC like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, I've booked several rooms lately with the AAA rate and now the Marriott site does remember and auto-fill your AAA number if it's ever been entered, even for properties you've never stayed in before.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: *bucks Gold
What I make the reservation but the person I’m traveling with and is staying with me in the room is the AAA member? Do you think they will honor the rate?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by GUM_elite
What I make the reservation but the person I’m traveling with and is staying with me in the room is the AAA member? Do you think they will honor the rate?
They will. It’s the same as getting the seniors rate. As long as they are staying with you, you will be fine even if their name isn’t on the reservation.
SPN Lifer, GUM_elite and lifeisart like this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Oct 17, 2020 at 5:46 am Reason: Terrible sentence structure!
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by margarita girl
They will. It’s the same as getting the seniors rate as long as they are staying with you even if their name isn’t on the reservation.
The T&C don’t seem to be specific on who is the policy holder, just that it must be present at checkin so I think you are correct.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
They will. It’s the same as getting the seniors rate. As long as they are staying with you, you will be fine even if their name isn’t on the reservation.

I never knew this! Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:55 pm

FWIW, in 15 years worth of stays (enough to make LT twice), I've had an FDC need to see my AAA card exactly once (but admittedly only use the rate ~10% of the time, I have better corp rates).
Old Oct 18, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
FWIW, in 15 years worth of stays (enough to make LT twice), I've had an FDC need to see my AAA card exactly once (but admittedly only use the rate ~10% of the time, I have better corp rates).
So... you are saying that out of every 100 stays you use the AAA rate 1 time. Do you think that is a statistically significant data point to assert that proof of membership is not required?

I'm not saying I disagree that they rarely ask for proof, but I'm not sure I'd use your quite limited data point in attempting to make the case.

Regards
Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... but admittedly only use the rate ~10% of the time ...
Originally Posted by scubadu
... 100 stays you use the AAA rate 1 time ...
10 times.
I have 2580 nights.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Please keep in mind the MR web site currently requires entering your AAA membership number when making a reservation at AAA rate. I am a AAA member so I just enter my own number when booking AAA rate (actually now it stores it in my profile). I have never tried entering someone else's AAA member number (e.g. name doesn't match mine) when making a reservation at the AAA rate. Please advise and let us know if this works. It is unclear how much validation MR is doing of AAA numbers. It maybe just that the number meets basic validity checks for a AAA number (similar to a credit card number check). While certainly possible, I doubt MR is doing any real time lookup of your AAA membership status when allowing you to book a AAA rate. Enquiring minds would like to know....

--Jon
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Duplicate post removed.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Please keep in mind the MR web site currently requires entering your AAA membership number when making a reservation at AAA rate. I am a AAA member so I just enter my own number when booking AAA rate (actually now it stores it in my profile). I have never tried entering someone else's AAA member number (e.g. name doesn't match mine) when making a reservation at the AAA rate. Please advise and let us know if this works. It is unclear how much validation MR is doing of AAA numbers. It maybe just that the number meets basic validity checks for a AAA number (similar to a credit card number check). While certainly possible, I doubt MR is doing any real time lookup of your AAA membership status when allowing you to book a AAA rate. Enquiring minds would like to know....

--Jon
I made a dummy booking with my parents AAA number and it worked.

I would expect the policy to be that whoever’s AAA membership is being used needs to be presented at check-in, but I have only ever asked for the card once.

I think this will be taken advantage of by some guests, with moderate success. The risk they run is that they will be charged the standard rate for their stay.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
I made a dummy booking with my parents AAA number and it worked.

I would expect the policy to be that whoever’s AAA membership is being used needs to be presented at check-in, but I have only ever asked for the card once.

I think this will be taken advantage of by some guests, with moderate success. The risk they run is that they will be charged the standard rate for their stay.
FWIW I require all my hotels to properly verify valid AAA membership. If fraud is found full rack rate is charged.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Unless I forget that I have a AAA rate, I always offer my AAA membership card with my photo ID at check in.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy
FWIW I require all my hotels to properly verify valid AAA membership. If fraud is found full rack rate is charged.

How does a hotel verify that a AAA membership is valid?

What information is shared by AAA with an inquiring party?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.