Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Late Checkout Policy

We are pleased to accommodate late checkouts upon request and subject to availability. Late checkouts between 12pm and 6pm are as follows:
  • For Deluxe City View, Premium City View, Premium Twin Tower View and Executive Club Rooms - a charge of 50 MYR per hour applies:
  • Westin Suite and One Bedroom Executive Residences - a charge of 100 MYR per hour applies.
  • After 6pm, the full room rate applies.
  • Fees are subject to tax and service charge.
Print Wikipost

Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:11 pm

I'd concur that the Westin KL is indeed a 'Heavenly Experience.' Here's a link to the part of my trip report (including pics) covering the property: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=19

Check in a little bit messy, but otherwise everything else about my stay was nice. In short the Westin KL would be my choice anytime I return to KL. ^
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: SQ PPS, Jet Airways Platinum,
I have been staying there regularly now for the last year or so and more frequent monthly visits. Was there last week and the checkin is still messy. However Arifin at the check in desk saw me on the line and greeted me by name. That was a wow for me and perhaps indicated the time I was spending on the road.

Room service is a mess..really and I gave the service manager a piece of my mind for continuos sloppy service during all my stays. Otherwise a great hotel..Prego the Italian restaurant is nice but poorly lit. But then there were very few other diners reading a book waiting for dinner
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:50 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
We stayed here about 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. We booked a 1 BR Executive Residence on a SPG50 rate. The room was very nice and was even better once the hotel brought an ionizer to remove the smell of smoke from the room.

No further upgrade was given to me as a Plat but 500 points posted along with stay. My request for Petronas Towers view was honoured and the views were mesmerising.

Check-in was horrific but the breakfast downstairs was much nicer than in the Executive Club Lounge. Evening offerings in the Lounge were limited and a tad disappointing. Service in the Lounge was virtually non-existent.

Location is good. In all, a decent stay.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I also stayed here a few weeks ago for 2 nights!
I was there for a weekend away from Singapore.... July 13-15, a Friday to Sunday.
Positives for me:
Suites are priced well for the SPG50: I took a 1-BR suite with (kind of) Petronas Towers views--from the far corner of the room. It was a REALLY nice suite, but I do think most floors have this suite. I don't think I was upgraded, but I surely didn't care.
Hotel was 100% full; still, service was OK.
Gym is stunning--full equipment, and the nicest locker room I've ever seen. By far. I think the locker room is also the changing room for the pool, which is on the same level.
Interestingly, the pool, which is a nice size, has a poolside restaurant which is, I think, specializing in "Arabic Breakfast". I had eaten in the lounge so I didn't check it out much, but there was a sign up directing people to it. Of course, walking through the Arabic Breakfast crowd in just my swimming suit was a big surprise! So much for being discreet with skin. Whoops!
Anyhow, yes check-in continues to be a big haggard, but they seemed to have a system in place where they call people up from the room behind the check-in desk when it gets really busy. Also, I guess related to check-in, my room key card deactivated FOUR times in just a 43-hour stay. And a few times I had to wait 5+ minutes at the desk for this to be fixed.
The Exec lounge seemed a bit understaffed or over-populated. Staff were working hard, but too many guests, both at breakfast and evening drinks. Decor OK, a bit dated, but of course stunning views of the Petronas Towers.
Location is really good for shopping and going out to eat (both for hawker street foods and nice places), a great weekend destination. Across the street is a huge constuction site, with works going on nearly 24/7, but not much noise was noticed. It's just not "pretty". It will be a new shopping mall (Of course--what else?), and should be finished in a few months, I was told. Didn't look it, but I'd guess by the end of the year it'll be finished.
Traffic can be standstill in the area, so the Monorail, a 5-minute walk away, is a lifesaver. But be prepared to sweat walking over there--it's usually more than 90+ degrees in KL. You CAN take public transport to the hotel, but it's tough with luggage: Airport to the KL Sentral station, then walk outside and across a large parking lot (about a 5-min walk uncovered), and up the stairs to the Monorail. Why they're not connected is a wonder. Then take the monorail a few minutes to Bukit Bintang, alight, and walk 5 min to the Westin. I did this, and was glad I did, since the taxi wait at KL Sentral was 90 minutes, and then traffice around the hotel was absolutely chokkers!!
Room was absolutely gorgeous--dining table, living area, and desk in one room; King bed and huge closets in another area; and a huge bathroom with tub along the windows, stand-up shower, etc.
So, I'd say if you can get a SPG50 for a Suite or residence, I'd go for it. Prices were REALLY getting high these days for regular rooms--like RM485++ for a room the weekend I went. That's higher than almost any other 5* hotel in KL. But for a 3+-Room Suite for less than RM550, using just 1,000 points, it was excellent.

Last edited by kyushuman; Aug 9, 2007 at 7:58 am
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:22 am

Programs: BA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, GPP Platinum, PC Platinum "Royal1day" Ambassador
Westin kuala lumpur club lounge. Champagne served now?

Just read in a tripadvisor review that they offer free champagne now in the lounge. Cannot really believe that. on my last stay in 2005 they did not offer any kind of sparkling wine. anyone with new experiences?

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
it's not champagne , but australian bubbly.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Post Champagne

Last time at Sheraton Taipei, real Frencg Champs, Veuve and the second visit Moet, non vintage.

Even from breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:51 pm

Yup, was there over the weekend and they served bubbly and all sorts of other drinks ... the full works!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:50 am

Programs: BA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, GPP Platinum, PC Platinum "Royal1day" Ambassador
Thank you.
ill stay there at the end of the year and will try the australian sparkling.
never did before, so will be very interesting. just read that the australian stuff should be the second best directly after the french original....
if not, ill order some veuve...
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:14 am

I stayed at the Westin KL for 2 nights over the National Day (Aug 31) weekend. I had two separate reservations as one night was on points and one night was paid. The paid night included a fabulous Petronas Towers view, which cost a bit more but was completely worth the money.

There were a few quirks. As mentioned, I had two separate reservations. Since the 'view' was different for the different reservations, I wasn't able to get the same room both nights (unless I wanted to lose the Petronas Towers view on the second night). I guess if I had been Plat it wouldn't have been a problem, but as a lowly Gold, I got strictly what I paid for, though admittedly on a high floor. The next morning I went down to the front desk to explain that I had to change rooms. Thankfully the agent the previous day had left notes on my reservation further explaining this, as that seemed to smooth the process a bit. I had been pre-assigned room 3019, but the agent said he would try to find a room for my on the same floor to make the move easier. Nice gesture. Checking out the floorplan, I realised that 3019 probably would have been an upgraded room, but with a somewhat more awkward view of the towers.

The location is great and kyushuman's directions on how to get to the hotel via transit are spot on. The lobby is very chic, especially at night when the lights are dimmed and behind the front desk and concierge desk is lit in red. The room decor was also very modern, and the bed was typical Westin. One night I received turndown service, the other night I did not (I didn't request it either night). Room service was good and the menu had a wide variety of options. The washroom was nice and big. Toilet separated by frosted glass, and separate shower and large tub.

Pavillion, the new mall across the street, had signs indicating it would be opening in September (and it looked like it might be ready by the end of the month). There are residences being built atop the mall that might obstruct the view of one of the Petronas Towers from the Westin, but construction wasn't far enough along to really know.

Of the three Starwoods in KL, the Westin has the best location for shopping by far. For night life and dining, the Westin's location is great and probably wins for having more selection, but the Sheraton Imperial gives it a run for the money being located at Asian Heritage Row. Le Meridien KL's location is extremely convenient given that it's right at KL Sentral, but I wasn't terribly excited by the area. The Sheraton is right next to a monorail station, which also makes it convenient for getting around to the touristy spots, but other than Asian Heritage Row, there really isn't much worthwhile within walking distance. Despite being a few minutes' walk to the monorail, the Westin makes up it by simply being so close to a good number of distractions.

The Westin would definitely be my choice for another stay in KL.

Last edited by CXYYZ; Sep 11, 2007 at 10:23 am
Old May 28, 2008, 2:57 am

How would you like Westin KL recently ?
Any upgrade ?
Don't you recommend this hotel any more ?
Old May 28, 2008, 5:22 am

Upgraded to executive floor on the 34th floor, given lounge access. Free internet available on the lounge area. Password can be obtained from the lounge.

Breakfast/Evening cocktails hours are not very exciting.

A 2 mins walk to the Pavilion Mega Mall (you got to cross at the traffic lights).
Old May 28, 2008, 7:49 am

Was at Westin KL for 2 stays this month at the lowest rate at spg.com.

No suites upgrade but given club floor and club access. I can't find any standard suites available at spg.com, so I guess they must be busy.

No turndown services on both stays.

BTW you can get down to the restaurant to have a fabulous buffet breakfast instead of the lounge. I would rate the quality/quantity of the food at the lounge to be inferior than Imperial and Le Meridien KL.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 3:55 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I had a SPG50 stay at the Westin recently (US$136 all in) and was upgraded to a suite. For breakfast I was given the choice of either the lounge or restaurant. The restaurant breakfast is extensive. You have to hunt a little as there are lots of food stations all over. Overall service was good and my point and stay credits posted correctly. There were no errors on the bill. I would stay there again.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jun 15, 2008 at 4:03 am
Old Jun 15, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I stayed there a couple of weeks ago and was treated extremely well. Was upgraded to a gorgeous, huge suite. Free breakfast, free internet, etc.
I took the hotel's limo from KUL to the hotel and back and it was really nice as well..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.