Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Late Checkout Policy

We are pleased to accommodate late checkouts upon request and subject to availability. Late checkouts between 12pm and 6pm are as follows:
  • For Deluxe City View, Premium City View, Premium Twin Tower View and Executive Club Rooms - a charge of 50 MYR per hour applies:
  • Westin Suite and One Bedroom Executive Residences - a charge of 100 MYR per hour applies.
  • After 6pm, the full room rate applies.
  • Fees are subject to tax and service charge.
Print Wikipost

Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I'll be staying there next week at both the Westin and the Sheraton Imperial. Are they far apart?

It is likely I will be taking a bus coach from SIN to KL. I have not been to KL for a long time, so could someone advise what is the best way to get to the Westin KL once I get off from the bus station. If LRT is available, I don't mind taking it, since I will be travelling light.

Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found taxis quite cheap in KL.

I took taxis from and to the railway station to catch the KL Expres to the airport. I think it cost me about 10 MYR each way
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Glad to read you enjoyed your stay in KL, airbus320, and that your room had a view of the Towers. When I stayed at the Imperial last year, I had a similar view, and watched an incredible lightning storm fill the evening sky forming an awsome backdrop to the Towers. Taped the whole storm! Almost as good as the fireworks at Las Falles in Valencia.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:16 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ws8n:
I'll be staying there next week at both the Westin and the Sheraton Imperial. Are they far apart?

It is likely I will be taking a bus coach from SIN to KL. I have not been to KL for a long time, so could someone advise what is the best way to get to the Westin KL once I get off from the bus station. If LRT is available, I don't mind taking it, since I will be travelling light.

</font>
KL's CBD is compact and it probably wont cost you more than RM5 to RM10 to get from one place to another with a taxi.

Though there is a monorail station right next to Sheraton Imperial, the closest station to the Westin is about 5 to 10 min walk away.

If you are taking the "luxury" coach from Singapore, you wont be dropped off at the Puduraya bus station. Depending on which operator you travel with, you will either be drop off at the old Railway station (which is at the edge of town) or the Corus Hotel (opposite KLCC). Taxis will be the easiest way to get to the Westin from either location.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 6:51 am
Suspended

Is Westin Kuala Lumpur SPG Compliant ?

I was on the phone with the Reservations Manager today requesting for a 3pm late check-out. In putting forward my case I mentioned that since they did not even upgrade my room, they should at least grant me my other SPG Gold benefit which is late check-out.

To my surprise, I was told that SPG Gold members are NOT entitled to any room upgrade and late check-out is not possible due to high occupancy.

He added that he would put himself at "risk" by allowing me to check-out at 2.30 pm and reminded me that housekeeping will move in at 2.30pm sharp to clean the room for the next guest. A quick check on the Starwood website indicated that the hotel is far from running at full occupancy !

Although I have read in another post that a fellow Flyertalker who is SPG Gold had a minor upgrade, I will be very curious to know whether other Gold members have had that privilege.

Also has any Platinum member been upgraded to a suite at this property?

Old Dec 3, 2003, 12:20 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Regarding the 4 PM late check-out issue...if they don't agree to give you a 4 PM late check-out, please let me know the stay details (your name, stay dates, etc.) so I can hit them where they will feel it the most - in their pocketbook.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 4, 2003, 1:35 am
Suspended

Starwood Lurker,

Thank you for looking into the late check-out issue.

Is the Reservations Manager correct in saying that SPG Gold are not entitled to a room upgrade ? More than half the rooms on each floor have a preferred view (twin towers view) and I believe these would have been the "Preferred Room" under the SPG guidelines.

Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:48 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mario33:
Starwood Lurker,

Thank you for looking into the late check-out issue.

Is the Reservations Manager correct in saying that SPG Gold are not entitled to a room upgrade ? More than half the rooms on each floor have a preferred view (twin towers view) and I believe these would have been the "Preferred Room" under the SPG guidelines.

</font>
No, he was wrong about that as well, but with the definition as it is in the Terms and Conditions for Gold members, it is not something that can be corroborated by me personally. I know that there are metrics that reveal whether a property is being compliant regarding upgrades to all elite members and that the SPG corporate office visits periodically with those that are non-compliant (usually in the form of brand VP), but I am not able to discern the lack of an upgrade for a Gold member as I can for a Platinum member.

Nonetheless, I suggest making the lack of an upgrade a part of the overall customer service file. That way, it is documented that at least the perception of a problem existed.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 6, 2003, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Per an email from the KUL Westin:

"We are would like to inform you that our hotel spa is scheduled to be opened by February 2004. At this point of time, there are swimming pool and a temporary gymnasium centre which is available. Please be advised that due to hotel soft opening status, facilities available are quite limited."

Davohuang, when you are there, can you see if there are any spa's nearby? I really want to stay at the Westin over the Ritz-Carlton, but after the flight I will definitely need a good Shiatsu. Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2003, 8:15 am

All right, everyone. Here's the latest scoop on the Westin KL. First of all, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but there is free Wi-Fi internet access on the ground and 1st floors of the hotel! Good thing I brought my laptop and wireless card here (I thought it'd only come in handy at SIN). I am posting this message from the lobby of the Westin KL!

Next, the Westin KL spa is still under construction, with an estimated completion date of February 2004 as the email that bergamini mentioned. There is a full spa literally next door at the JW Marriott KL. Due to the contruction on the spa and fitness center, there is very loud construction noise during the day (and sometimes in the evening - like right now = 23:14 on 12 Dec), which permeates the lobby at times. Fortunately, you can't hear anything in the rooms.

Finally, there is supposed to be the official grand opening of the hotel tomorrow (Sat. 13 Dec. from 13:00-15:00), but just my luck I'll have to miss it because I'm heading to CGK (Jakarta). They are supposed to have chocolates and giveaways, but I don't have any more details. My turndown service tonight came with samples of the chocolates that will be served at tomorrow's opening, along with a note about the upcoming event. Turndown service also came with fresh fruit and a note from the manager, which I thought was a nice touch.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Just stayed at the Westin KL on the 9th. The room was tastefully furnished, except one problem...sound proofing is really bad. I had a room with a connecting room next door, and the kids next door made so much noise, they woke up me the next morning, despite me sleeping around 3am the previous nite.

So if anyone is planning on staying there, check to make sure you are not given a connecting room, and no kids are near your room.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:23 pm

An earlier post mentioned short operating hours of the monorail -- this was originally true, since the monorail also did a soft launch, but the hours are now a much more reasonable 7AM-10PM. Tip: get a stored value card so you don't have to queue up for single tix each time!
Old Dec 29, 2003, 3:15 am

Just spent two nights at the Westin KL, so here are my additions to the previous comments.

As promised, the Westin is a modern 5* luxury hotel, you'll have to look long and hard to find anything Malaysian in the place... at least until you open the curtains and gaze at the magnificent Petronas Twin Towers! There's a large empty lot right in front of the hotel though, so we can only hope whatever is built there won't block the view. The location is quite good, right on Bukit Bintang with all the shopping malls within easy walking distance, and easy monorail access to Berjaya Times Square, Chinatown, etc. The distance to the station is a bit too long to walk with luggage though.

The room was excellent, everything looked nice and worked perfectly, always an unusual combination. A couple of discordant notes in the rest of the hotel itself though:
  • The swimming pool is open, but the sauna and changing rooms are not (opening in Jan?). You either get to perform contortions in the toilet cubicles, or change in your room.
  • The pool is also surprisingly small and, err, boring given the size and quality of the hotel.
  • I'd originally booked one night, but extended my stay to start a day earlier (specifically stressing on the phone that I'd be staying two nights). On arrival, reservations didn't know a thing about the 2nd night, and while they got it sorted out and let us keep the same room, we had to confirm this about three times to various people and get our keycards changed on the 2nd night. Why so difficult? (Then again, serves me right for not getting written confirmation of the change.)
  • Speaking of bills, there was a spurious minibar charge and an unrequested Unicef donation tagged on, but both were easily disposed of.
  • Reception also seemed chronically understaffed, and being greeted with "Credit card please" when checking in didn't make the best first impression. Service everywhere else (room, pool, bar, restaurant) was impeccable.

But these were quibbles, all in all the hotel was very good and edges into my #2 slot for KL, second only to the Putrajaya Shangri-La. Not a single peep of construction noise or poor soundproofing during the stay either, except a spurious fire alarm at 4:50 AM on the first night...

I got the rooms directly off the Starwood site for RM 350 -- and this in the Christmas peak season when much of KL was sold out! Definitely value for money, even by KL standards. Do note that this was a no-frills rate, with no lounge access or even breakfast (RM 40/head extra).

So is there anything better in KL itself?
Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Just finishing up my stay here, and it's definitely an awesome place. Service was great throughout, the location is good and it's a striking hotel. I would say the Executive Lounge may be one of the best ever. They make and serve the tea for you and will push your chair in and place your napkin for you.

The room was great! I got upgraded to a suite, which was huge. It had a 6-person dining table, couch, chairs, desk, TV, bookcases and minibar in the living room, and a desk and chaise lounge in the bedroom. There were 1.5 baths, including one with a soaking tub that has electric shades. There is a hardwood floor foyer to welcome you into the room. They left me a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and another plate full of fruit, which was appreciated after my long flight.

Here are some pictures:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mon...n+Kuala+Lumpur

I cashed in 2,000 points for my stay. Minus my 500 platinum amenity, it was only 1,500 points which is a definite steal. I enjoyed the smallish pool and had a massage at the JW Marriot next door.

The only downside? Cold water in the shower at 930AM! Other than that, a definite 5*.

[This message has been edited by bergamini (edited Jan 19, 2004).]
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Westin Kuala Lumpur "upgrade" to Residence report 3/13/04

I originally booked my room so I could cancel just in case. When I knew I was going to make the trip I booked a prepaid. Think I saved 55 in local currency. Upon arrival told I was given a upgrade to a Residence. Lower floor number so I was a little suspicious and also consider price I am paying. The Residences are located on the lower levels so no view. I think I have some historic something view. The Residences have their own set of lifts and it is quiet. Full kithcen, living room, office, enclosed terrace with seating and table, large bedroom with alcove and huge bathroom. All the comforts of home. BTW that money I am saving is being spent on high speed internet access. 60 local currency. Have you figured I have no idea what the local currency is called.

Given another key for access to the Executive Club Lounge with full privileges. You need to take the elevator back down to the lobby and get on the Hotel lifts. Here on FT the Lounge is nice.

If you plan on using a computer bring your own highspeed cable since the desk does not have any. The speed seems slow as compared to the Grand Hyatt Tokyo (same provider). Also if you need a transformer ask for one in advance. Very limited here and it took some doing to get. Will advise more if anything interesting. I'm torn between this "upgrade" and a view of the Petronas Towers. I think I would like the Towers. Driving into the Hotel it looks very full.

From KUL. Take the KLIA Expres to KL Sentral. 70 round trip. Get a taxi voucher which is base 8 plus this evening extra 4 for past midnight ride. The ride was a breeze but I can imagine traffic jam. BTW. When you exit customs/arrivals the currency exchange is a break left. The lift for the KLIA Expres is break right down two floors. A kiosk is available for a cash payment. On the back the other machine will take a credit card. Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.