Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 2:55 am

Breakfast for points

Stayed in the property for 3N some days back on C&P.
Was upgraded to corner deluxe room on 3/F. The room was most far away possible from the elevator. When inquired, they told us that area has most corner shape rooms which are a bit bigger than the ordinary rooms... Also very quite.

btw: breakfast is indeed 31 EUR but can also be paid by 2250 SPG points per person... Not necessary the best deal but might be helpful for some.

On some other days we just went to Konstabler Wache station and picked up the fabulous 'Laugencroissants' - wonderful... (and less than 1 EUR

The italian fusion restaurant has been awarded first place in a recent Frankfurt based award recently. 2 course for 2 person plus 1L Aqua Panna plus 2 glasses of wine will set you back 100 EUR.

Rgds
Ham
Old May 13, 2009, 5:53 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
This hotel is currently available for stays of 3+ nights during the "Eternal Summers" Promo period for EUR104++. A great deal based on the prices I'm seeing people paid in reviews on Trip Advisor and here.
I was lucky enough to find a Junior Suite on booking.com for my stay (Memorial Day weekend, 22-25 May) that was (I'm guessing incorrectly) listed at EUR104++, while SPG was showing it at EUR299. I did a BRG and was successful! So I will report back here how the Junior Suite is (unless I get upgraded further!).
Jr. Suite is now listed at around EUR200++/night.
Old May 31, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA No staus, HHonors Gold, SPG none, Hyatt-none
I stayed at the Westin Grand in Frankfurt about 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. It wasn't a great say, average at the best. Upon check-in, I asked if there were any upgrades and Norman at the front counter said no, just the room I was assigned. I made reservations using the 4,000 pts and $60 a night option. As I was about to leave the counter, I asked as a Platinum member, what are the advantages of staying at this hotel... he quickly corrected himself and offered me a welcome gift of my choice, so I took selected a bottle of wine, which ended up being average. The room was nothing special, I was not impressed. The bathroom was okay, no shower curtains, just 1/2 a glass door. There was a nice cappuccino maker. I went up to see the spa, pool and workout room which were very nice. The dress code for the sauna is NUDE, sorta surprised me, but when in Rome. Overall, the stay at the Westin was nothing great, just average. The 31 Euros morning breakfast was a once in a lifetime event, never again, awfully expensive.
Old May 31, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nearSACTO
I stayed at the Westin Grand in Frankfurt about 2 weeks ago for 2 nights. It wasn't a great say, average at the best. Upon check-in, I asked if there were any upgrades and Norman at the front counter said no, just the room I was assigned. I made reservations using the 4,000 pts and $60 a night option. As I was about to leave the counter, I asked as a Platinum member, what are the advantages of staying at this hotel... he quickly corrected himself and offered me a welcome gift of my choice, so I took selected a bottle of wine, which ended up being average. The room was nothing special, I was not impressed. The bathroom was okay, no shower curtains, just 1/2 a glass door. There was a nice cappuccino maker. I went up to see the spa, pool and workout room which were very nice. The dress code for the sauna is NUDE, sorta surprised me, but when in Rome. Overall, the stay at the Westin was nothing great, just average. The 31 Euros morning breakfast was a once in a lifetime event, never again, awfully expensive.
We stayed at this property in December, and I'm afraid that generally speaking, I must agree with you. The experience was kinda "meh." I was really hoping for more. I was not at all impressed with the attitudes at the front desk, but once past that, it wasn't really a bad stay, per se, but certainly nothing memorable...

We definitely took a pass on the 31 euro breakfast though, boy that would just be insult to injury!

Regards
Old May 31, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Spent 3 nights at Westin, 2 nights at HIX Frankfurt-Messe.
Westin price: EUR104++++++ (EUR31 for breakfast, EUR22 for Internet, etc)
HIX: EUR 29.50/night, using 2-4-1 price. Breakfast, internet in the spacious, bright lobby included.
We were out and about most of the time, and regretted our stay at the Westin-- while perfectly fine, it was nothing special.
Poor Plat treatment especially, I'd say--absolutely NO perks.
Stay elsewhere if you can find a decent rate.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Agree with the general consensus...not great for Platinums. I chose the Westin for its location and that is about all it has going for it. Otherwise it is pretty "brand-standard".

At check-in, I asked about a Suite upgrade and was told "We have pre-reserved you and upgrade to a Deluxe room". That is a one-category upgrade, even though Grand Deluxe and Executive floors were being offered on the iPhone app.

To welcome me, they offered a free drink coupon in the lounge, but the lounge bar was closed for a MAJOR event (red carpet, paparazzi, etc. out front).

I would not tell people to avoid the property, but it was certainly not memorable.

Forgot to mention: I am pretty sure the bed was not a brand-standard heavenly mattress, as it was rather hard.

Last edited by boifromtroy; Mar 1, 2010 at 4:35 pm Reason: Bed note
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by boifromtroy
Agree with the general consensus...not great for Platinums. I chose the Westin for its location and that is about all it has going for it. Otherwise it is pretty "brand-standard".
Totally agree......just finished a quick one night stay here to try the place out and even though it was nice I was not overly impressed. As a Platinum I was upgraded to a Grand Deluxe room but I had also noticed that they showed a Jr. Suite available on my iPhone App so I asked about it. After the manager came to the front desk they determined that the suite was a smoking suite so I passed on it and took the non-smoking Grand Deluxe room. For other Platinums it might be worth mentioning that the Manager told me that they only had 7 Jr. Suites available for Platinum upgrades and 2 of those are smoking Suites...so basically 5 Suites and if they are filled you get a Grand Deluxe Room.

Also worth mentioning is an issue with the free internet now available to Platinum members at this hotel. If you have a mobile device you are out of luck because the rooms do not have WiFi.

I had previously been pretty loyal to the LeMeridien Parkhotel but I wanted to try out the Westin....for me it's back to the LeM which has consistently upgraded me to a Jr. Suite on my last several stays. I don't mind the location of the LeM and I quite like the extra walking I get in while staying there to get to the shopping area.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Stay away from this hotel!

I booked for a friend of mine a night with cash + points. It was properly booked by phone with the call center.

When my friend checked-out the charged him 60 EUR for the cash part. Now I have to call the hotel and ask for the refund. Really annoying and unprofessional
Old Jun 26, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
I booked for a friend of mine a night with cash + points. It was properly booked by phone with the call center.

When my friend checked-out the charged him 60 EUR for the cash part. Now I have to call the hotel and ask for the refund. Really annoying and unprofessional
The cash portion should have been US$60, converted to Euros. Did you inform your friend what to expect and did he attempt to correct the mistake during check out?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Question Lounge or no Lounge???

Does anyone know, if the Executive Club is open?

Found this:

http://www.westingrandfrankfurt.com/...nexecutiveclub

but no confirmation here:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...propertyID=141

or in this thread...

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Jul 9, 2010 at 2:43 pm Reason: Schreibfehler
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Aquaterra is dead, the Executive Lounge alive and kicking

While a Grand Hyatt is among the most dangerous natural enemies of a Westin Grand, one can only applaud Arabella for their decision to up the ante significantly opening a club lounge at the otherwise solid at best Westin Grand Frankfurt.

Without any doubt, the Grand Hyatt Frankfurt will put some pressure on the financial district hotel market and while some older players like the Steigenberger or Interconti will probably relegate into the 2nd league in Frankfurt, the Westin has improved with the recent opening of a club lounge in 2010, which was internally called a 'milestone' for the hotel.

The Executive Club occupies the space where the Aquaterra restaurant used to be located, a high ceiling, open space balcony like part above the main lobby with a split floor set-up. It is among the most spacious club lounges in Europe with at least 50-60+ seats and is open continuously from the early morning hours until 10 p.m.

Aside from an upgraded continental breakfast, cake is offered in the afternoon next to at least 25 glass pints full of nuts, dried fruit, gummi bears, dextrose candy etc.

Dinner service consists of the soup of the day, a small salad bar, a decent selection of cheese including a tasty Blue D'Auvergne, creamy goat cheese and a red wine flavoured cheese from the Bregenz region. ^

Desserts included a raspberry sorbet, fresh fruit salad or chocolate tart

Wine, sparkling wine and beers free of charge.

Very personal and attentive service, attendant asks for your name while entering for the first time and continues to approach you in the same personal way, a class act and on par with another strong competitor, the Hyatt Regency Mainz some 25 km away.

I am actually impressed that Arabella, not necassarily known as the ultimate quality player when it comes to operating SPG branded hotels opens a club lounge within the very price-sensitive German market in 2010, however this move certainly improves the quality of the Westin Grand significantly...

Downsides are still the low number of suites in the upgrade pool, tons of Platinum card holders frequenting the hotel and relatively high rates in comparison to the Interconti or some other 5 star hotels in town like the Radisson Blu...
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

Does the hotel still offer BVLGARI toiletries as BlissWorld reported in 2008?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Does the hotel still offer BVLGARI toiletries as BlissWorld reported in 2008?
At least in the Grand Deluxe rooms, they offer the standard Westin White tea toiletries + mouthwash
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
At least in the Grand Deluxe rooms, they offer the standard Westin White tea toiletries + mouthwash
And Bulgari in all suites.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
And Bulgari in all suites.
and not in the junior suites. Same procedure as at the Westin Grand Arabellapark München

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.