Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This is an all suite property. There are about 85 units total including suites, villa and private residence. New villas are planned.
There is no resort fee, no parking or valet fees, and buffet breakfast is included daily regardless of your status with Marriott.
There is no exec lounge for elites.
The resort is located about 8 minute drive North of the town of Elounda. The small town of Plaka is 3-4 minute drive to the North.
The ferry to Spinalonga Island is 10 euro the round trip. The admission to the island is another 8 euro per person.
Haute Living lounge is only available for those who have paid for Villas.

Titanium benefits are generous (as at August 2020):
  • Complimentary Breakfast in our Restaurant (Tholos) throughout your stay (When booking on redemption stay)
  • One Complimentary Dinner in our Restaurant (Blend or their choice on check-in), drinks excluded
  • Spa thermae Facilities (per Adult, per stay - was a 20 minute back massage)
  • VIP Check-in over a signature aperitif overlooking the famous UNESCO protected islet of Spinalonga
  • 1000 bonus points (in addition to any normal bonus), posts about 5-7 days later
Then the usual: Complimentary Upgrade (upon availability); Late Check-Out (upon request, upon availability).
Print Wikipost

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
@Ex-SIN...that’s a nice upgrade as a Gold! Glad you had a nice stay.
Ex-SIN likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by damon88

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Hotel emailed me from all 3

We LOVED this hotel and found the staff to be super receptive.

Have a wonderful stay!
Did you ask any questions and get a reply? I received an initial email stating all the details and then "if you have any questions, please let us know".......so I replied a few times and the hotel did not reply one time. A little disappointing leading up to the stay.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CALMSP
Did you ask any questions and get a reply? I received an initial email stating all the details and then "if you have any questions, please let us know".......so I replied a few times and the hotel did not reply one time. A little disappointing leading up to the stay.

Perhaps because we were Haute Living we had wonderful, prompt responses each time.

We visited with the GM during our visit and were ultra impressed with his care for his guests.

A lack of response does not seem characteristic and I almost want to blame Marriott IT

It might be worth one phone call to ask which is the preferred email.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:12 pm
Pid

Programs: BA Silver; Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pid
Prior to the changes last summer I made 3 separate reward bookings to cover a 7 day booking, I could not make one booking as the same room type was not available for one of the nights. I attempted to add my travel package but as they could not make it into one reservation they were unable to do so. The customer services rep spoke to the hotel and once availability opened up, which was post the changes in Aug, Customer Services were able to combine all bookings into one. Customer Services confirmed the vacation had been booked and they had attached the travel package.

This week I received an email stating that I had insufficient points for the booking. Having spoken to Customer Services they now state that they are unable to add the travel package as the hotel is a higher category than the certificate I have. The points they are quoting are also at the new higher rates, which is significantly higher than the points required for my initial booking. I have logged a complaint but it will take 3 working days for them to come back to me and I fly a week on Sunday so time is running tight.

Despite the travel package being added after the changes in Aug it was logged against a point booking that had been made before the changes and the Customer Service Agent confirmed by email it was booked with the Travel Package attached to it. What are my chances of getting them to honor it?

If I do decide to transfer MR points to pay for the booking if they do not let me use the travel package, should I not be paying the lower rate when I booked the room, rather than the higher rate quoted now?

Any advice is welcome!
It took several phone calls but eventually go this sorted after being referred to a manager. He accepted that I had originally booked reward rooms at the the old rate and therefore the CS rep was correct in confirming that I could use an old category certificate. It also helped that the hotel had agreed with the original CS Rep that they were happy with using an original certificate. Therefore he converted the certificate to the correct one and then added the missing points required.

Now at the hotel and despite the problems with the booking, it has been worth it as it is great.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:28 am

Since we had a recent 5 night stay at the Domes (our second time staying there), I wanted to just post a couple of follow-up comments about our stay.

IMHO this continues to be a star hotel in the Marriott portfolio! Why?
- The highlights for us are the wonderful staff! Even when things aren't perfect, the staff (as well as the management) bends over backwards to make things right. This is something I really haven't experienced to this extent in any other property that I have stayed at recently.
- The property treats elites very well! In our experience, if they can upgrade you they will. In addition to the room upgrades they seem to go above and beyond when it comes to other benefits like offering a free dinner in the buffet restaurant, etc.

Anything negative? I would say that we were not happy about how they have changed their drink/food service on the beach. Drinks and food are now served in paper cups and corrugated boxes which just cheapens the overall feel of the service. Last year this was not the case so it was something that stood out for us. Ordering a sandwich or a greek salad and getting it in a carryout box was just strange. I am not sure why they did this and I was going to mention it to the manager but I did not after all. Any other negatives? Kids! I don't mind children but I do mind parents that let their kids act like banshees without any consideration of other guests.

Will we go back? Definitely but I will keep a lookout for decent rates vs booking an award stay. The new award level is ridiculous! We have also wanted to try the other two Domes properties in Chania and on Corfu to see if they live up to the Domes of Elounda...plus they are adult properties which is appealing.

Last edited by christianj; Jun 28, 2019 at 10:51 am
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
Recently had 5 night award stay for 2 adults 2 kids. Fabulous stay, really one of the best resorts I have ever stayed in and the kids absolutely loved thanks to amazingly kid friendly staff who kept going the extra mile.

Hotel had fantastic Platinum recognition with regards room & extras, real pity the Cat 8 jump to 85k points per night, though I reckon I will shell out my valuable points again next year for a repeat visit
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I have a 5 night stay booked at the old rate of 45k for August which I can't use anymore. There is no way they will allow a date change at the old rate right?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I have a 5 night stay booked at the old rate of 45k for August which I can't use anymore. There is no way they will allow a date change at the old rate right?
Not based on all past reports!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:11 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I have a 7-night partial TP with the very old rate. It was OC-9, 45k. And 165k for 7-night. Get ready for the trip now.

Feel bad for you. I do not think you can change the date. The old rate had two changes.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Went to cancel and it has a 30 days cancellation policy which I am now into. Any suggestions? Can I trade it? Is that allowed?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, AA Exec Plat, KLM Platinum
Domes of Elounda Mini-Review: What a Joke...

Originally Posted by utl567
Any recent stays by Platinum members? Added benefits? Room upgrades?
I wanted to drop a quick response to this as I will be posting a much more enhanced Domes of Elounda Review but just to give you some context, I'm a Marriott Ambassador Elite. When I booked our stay here for 11 nights, it cost me roughly 765,000 points. I booked the family suite as the category just above that was the two-bedroom villa, which I was sure to get upgraded to.

However, upon arrival, I was given no upgrade at all. Also, just to give anyone a fair warning about this hotel, yes, it is picturesque and set in a very pleasant setting. However, it is so entirely dated. The hotel was built in 2008 and you can see the wear and tear everywhere. They gave us a room that was such a joke. It was a small purple room with yellowing marble and these old dusty chandelier-esque sconces on the wall. They also gave us this half "Jacuzzi" literally in the middle of a busy stair walkway going up and down with no privacy at all. The whole thing is something out of a dilapidated version of luxury.

Naturally, I complained. However, they were full and even my ambassador called to secure a refund and they wouldn't grant me a refund of the points. I've spent $70k this year on Marriott properties alone. Now, if they treat their best guest like this, how do you think they're going to treat the average "Joe" so to speak.

Also, I have a theory that part of the reason why they didn't upgrade me was because I used points. I have no idea how much the properties get for points, but those points cost me a lot of money to secure and it was my first real reward stay. I am incredibly disappointed to say the least. They're certainly trying to make up for it but if I had the choice I would never stay here again. Period
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wanderlustatheart
I wanted to drop a quick response to this as I will be posting a much more enhanced Domes of Elounda Review but just to give you some context, I'm a Marriott Ambassador Elite. When I booked our stay here for 11 nights, it cost me roughly 765,000 points. I booked the family suite as the category just above that was the two-bedroom villa, which I was sure to get upgraded to.

However, upon arrival, I was given no upgrade at all. Also, just to give anyone a fair warning about this hotel, yes, it is picturesque and set in a very pleasant setting. However, it is so entirely dated. The hotel was built in 2008 and you can see the wear and tear everywhere. They gave us a room that was such a joke. It was a small purple room with yellowing marble and these old dusty chandelier-esque sconces on the wall. They also gave us this half "Jacuzzi" literally in the middle of a busy stair walkway going up and down with no privacy at all. The whole thing is something out of a dilapidated version of luxury.

Naturally, I complained. However, they were full and even my ambassador called to secure a refund and they wouldn't grant me a refund of the points. I've spent $70k this year on Marriott properties alone. Now, if they treat their best guest like this, how do you think they're going to treat the average "Joe" so to speak.

Also, I have a theory that part of the reason why they didn't upgrade me was because I used points. I have no idea how much the properties get for points, but those points cost me a lot of money to secure and it was my first real reward stay. I am incredibly disappointed to say the least. They're certainly trying to make up for it but if I had the choice I would never stay here again. Period
I look forward to the full review. I wonder if you had gotten a better room/suite.....it may have tempered your disappointment. Or was the whole resort not up to par.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by wanderlustatheart

I'm curious to understand what you specifics you viewed the hotel as being outdated. I did a 7 night stay last year, and is actually one of my wife and I's favorite spots now. We didn't seem to think anything was really outdated.
RedSun likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If the hotel was full, it would be difficult for them to have provided an upgrade, surely?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, AA Exec Plat, KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
If the hotel was full, it would be difficult for them to have provided an upgrade, surely?
Hey EuropeanPete, you're right. The hotel is fully booked every single night but one night during our lengthy stay. That definitely attributed to the problem. However, it was the first time ever that we weren't upgraded. They stuck us into this dark and dingy purple-themed room with decaying in every shape and form. But I do understand that it's harder to move guests when the hotel is full. Yet, at every other hotel, even when they are full or even oversold, the front desk always manages to move things around and give us the best possible suite. As an Ambassador, you come to expect that. Still, to give the hotel credit, they've been trying to do everything in their power to make it right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.