Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This is an all suite property. There are about 85 units total including suites, villa and private residence. New villas are planned.
There is no resort fee, no parking or valet fees, and buffet breakfast is included daily regardless of your status with Marriott.
There is no exec lounge for elites.
The resort is located about 8 minute drive North of the town of Elounda. The small town of Plaka is 3-4 minute drive to the North.
The ferry to Spinalonga Island is 10 euro the round trip. The admission to the island is another 8 euro per person.
Haute Living lounge is only available for those who have paid for Villas.

Titanium benefits are generous (as at August 2020):
  • Complimentary Breakfast in our Restaurant (Tholos) throughout your stay (When booking on redemption stay)
  • One Complimentary Dinner in our Restaurant (Blend or their choice on check-in), drinks excluded
  • Spa thermae Facilities (per Adult, per stay - was a 20 minute back massage)
  • VIP Check-in over a signature aperitif overlooking the famous UNESCO protected islet of Spinalonga
  • 1000 bonus points (in addition to any normal bonus), posts about 5-7 days later
Then the usual: Complimentary Upgrade (upon availability); Late Check-Out (upon request, upon availability).
Print Wikipost

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by david55
Both these resorts face east towards the water. In the case of the BP where we have stayed in a pool suite, the sun is gone from the pool terrace by mid morning and it was in the shade the rest of the day. There was no time for the water to heat with that limited sun time. I think the key to " heat or not" depends on the location of your room, and at the BP only the most expensive villas appeared to be facing SE to capture the mid afternoon sun.
Residence and villa pools actually face more south or south east so the pools get sun in the afternoon since the sun is not blocked by the buildings as they are on the east facing areas. We had almost full sun on our residence pool for most of the afternoon.

I found this online which shows the different direction for the pools of the residences and villas. It is confusing as the right side of the map actually needs to be turned 90 degrees counter clockwise to show the orientation to the villas/residences.
https://www.domesofeloundaholidays.c...ies/resort-map

Last edited by christianj; Jul 13, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
My villa had sun for most of the day and the water was still freezing in 25c. The main pool which was meant to be heated was freezing as it gets a lot of cross wind.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:11 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Part of the reason we chose Crete was because of all of the fascinating history (both real and mythical ) I know at least one day will be spent out touring. We definitely want to visit the Palace of Knossos. We might also take a wine tour, as much to see the Cretan countryside as for the wines. And of course a boat ride to Spinalonga is mandatory. (I am going to begin The Island novel tomorrow). But we probably want 2 full days just to relax and enjoy our room and pool, and if paying for heat means it *really* will be heated, enough for us to enjoy in October I will reluctantly be OK with it. The hotel says it is no problem just to heat on those 2 days.

The more I research Crete the more interesting it is to me, and Cretan cuisine is intriguing. In hindsight, I would actually have included a few nights on the Western side. We watched a Mark Wiens video where he visited an amazing looking restaurant called Ντουνιάς in the mountains an hour from Chania, which made me want to travel there.

I appreciate everyone’s advice btw. Crete has long fascinated me, going back to the early 1970s when I had good friends who lived for months in the caves of Matala.
What a different era of travel that was. 🙃
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Will be staying there in a few days, reached out to the hotel through the live chat. I was told plats get the following benefits:

- free breakfast
- gift basket with local herbs
- "upgrade to best available room (upon availability, upon arrival)"

The Haute Lounge is off limits, except if you stay in the residencies or the villas.

Transfers to from the airport can be booked through https://www.viptransferservices.com/...nsite/reserv/2
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Kaloz
Will be staying there in a few days, reached out to the hotel through the live chat. I was told plats get the following benefits:

- free breakfast

The Haute Lounge is off limits, except if you stay in the residencies or the villas.

Transfers to from the airport can be booked through https://www.viptransferservices.com/...nsite/reserv/2
Those are pretty standard benefits that most most of us received. We were given an option of which "gift" we wanted in the room and picked a dessert plate.

We used the transfer service both on this and our last trip to Elounda (to the BP). Extremely reliable and friendly but if you read up thread people were looking for cheaper alternatives or discussing renting cars. For me the Euro 99 is well worth it!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
Those are pretty standard benefits that most most of us received. We were given an option of which "gift" we wanted in the room and picked a dessert plate.

We used the transfer service both on this and our last trip to Elounda (to the BP). Extremely reliable and friendly but if you read up thread people were looking for cheaper alternatives or discussing renting cars. For me the Euro 99 is well worth it!
I rented and was glad I did. Gave us the freedom to pop out to the local places for dinner. Driving there is easy.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Kaloz

- free breakfast

Nice!! Let us know how your stay is!!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I rented and was glad I did. Gave us the freedom to pop out to the local places for dinner. Driving there is easy.

Going in a month and we rented an automatic car from the hotel for 130 euro.
I thought it was a good deal
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zagguru
How many days is your rental for?

And make sure you have an International Driver's License. ( if you are non-EU). Greece is really cracking down on having them and the rental agencies are now ask to see them. On another forum I follow that are quite a few posts of not being able to rent because they didn't have an IDL.For years you have been able to slide by with just your regular State issued license, but now If you get stopped by police and do not have one...it can be serious.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by david55
How many days is your rental for?

And make sure you have an International Driver's License. ( if you are non-EU). Greece is really cracking down on having them and the rental agencies are now ask to see them. On another forum I follow that are quite a few posts of not being able to rent because they didn't have an IDL.For years you have been able to slide by with just your regular State issued license, but now If you get stopped by police and do not have one...it can be serious.
Good advice. A point of reference on this from May 2018: I was able to rent from Avis without an IDL (not intentionally, no time in the booking process did they even alert me that it was needed). Upon pickup at the port they asked to see it. And made me sign something that I could still rent, but if I got pulled over, it was a €1,000 fine. I took the chance because I had no choice at that time, but was ‘scary’ the whole time driving because of it.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid £130 for 5 days through AVIS for a newish Nissan mid size.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I paid £130 for 5 days through AVIS for a newish Nissan mid size.
automatic?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

automatic?
Stick.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:00 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
As a data point I did hear back from Domes regarding the temperature our pool would be heated to for 100 euros a day:

"Your private pool while heated in October can reach the temperature of 25oC maximum. Kindly note that the maximum water temperature depend on the weather conditions"

This is actually making me reconsider whether I want to switch back to Blue Palace. I am going to email them to ask what temperature the Island Suite pool is heated to.

IMO it is outrageous to charge such a high fee to heat a pool and then only heat to 77 degrees. I looked it up:

According to the American Red Cross and the National Pool and Spa Institute, the recommended minimum swimming pool temperature for most aquatic activities should be between 83 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit. This range allows the body to adjust naturally to physical demands, even the minimal demands required while playfully swimming.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damon88
As a data point I did hear back from Domes regarding the temperature our pool would be heated to for 100 euros a day:

"Your private pool while heated in October can reach the temperature of 25oC maximum. Kindly note that the maximum water temperature depend on the weather conditions"

This is actually making me reconsider whether I want to switch back to Blue Palace. I am going to email them to ask what temperature the Island Suite pool is heated to.

IMO it is outrageous to charge such a high fee to heat a pool and then only heat to 77 degrees. I looked it up:

According to the American Red Cross and the National Pool and Spa Institute, the recommended minimum swimming pool temperature for most aquatic activities should be between 83 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit. This range allows the body to adjust naturally to physical demands, even the minimal demands required while playfully swimming.
We have a pool in our home in San Miguel de Allende Mexico. It is solar panel heated. The highest temperature I have ever seen was 72 degrees. No wonder I don't swim when I am there. ( we do have a auxiliary propane heater...but I am too cheap to fire it up)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.