Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This is an all suite property. There are about 85 units total including suites, villa and private residence. New villas are planned.
There is no resort fee, no parking or valet fees, and buffet breakfast is included daily regardless of your status with Marriott.
There is no exec lounge for elites.
The resort is located about 8 minute drive North of the town of Elounda. The small town of Plaka is 3-4 minute drive to the North.
The ferry to Spinalonga Island is 10 euro the round trip. The admission to the island is another 8 euro per person.
Haute Living lounge is only available for those who have paid for Villas.

Titanium benefits are generous (as at August 2020):
  • Complimentary Breakfast in our Restaurant (Tholos) throughout your stay (When booking on redemption stay)
  • One Complimentary Dinner in our Restaurant (Blend or their choice on check-in), drinks excluded
  • Spa thermae Facilities (per Adult, per stay - was a 20 minute back massage)
  • VIP Check-in over a signature aperitif overlooking the famous UNESCO protected islet of Spinalonga
  • 1000 bonus points (in addition to any normal bonus), posts about 5-7 days later
Then the usual: Complimentary Upgrade (upon availability); Late Check-Out (upon request, upon availability).
Print Wikipost

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by zagguru
Any ideas between Mystique and Vedema./
I've only stayed at the Mystique and not Vedema. From what I have read they are totally different experiences. At Mystique it’s all about the views which you don’t have at Vedema. We actually paid for our stay at Mystique and didn’t use points because I couldn’t justify using so many points for a couple of nights. Cost was ridiculous but it’s not every day you go to Santorini. I would say Mystique is probably like Vedema in that it’s not luxurious but has a view to die for. Here the view from our patio when we stayed there.

Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:40 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by christianj

That was the trip we did on our last vacation to Greece. Your in for a treat! I was planning on comparing the BP and the Domes but maybe you want me to wait till after your trip since you’re booked at the BP.

BP was very nice but I felt the Domes was definitely at a different level.

Domes looks amazing

I probably would have booked there if I was booking now. I still feel good about Blue Palace- after reading posts here a few months ago we switched to the Island Suite because we wanted to guarantee a great room with a heated pool. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by damon88
I still feel good about Blue Palace- after reading posts here a few months ago we switched to the Island Suite because we wanted to guarantee a great room with a heated pool. Fingers crossed ��

You will still have a great vacation! We did when we stayed there. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. We tried to use an SNA back when we stayed but even that didn't help get a better room since they really are very full in the summers. One advantage of the BP is that you can more easily walk to the little town to the left of the resort and eat there if you want to. Just don't do what we did and assume that the first couple of places you get to will be all the town has to offer...keep walking and there are more options.

Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:30 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
You will still have a great vacation! We did when we stayed there. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. We tried to use an SNA back when we stayed but even that didn't help get a better room since they really are very full in the summers. One advantage of the BP is that you can more easily walk to the little town to the left of the resort and eat there if you want to. Just don't do what we did and assume that the first couple of places you get to will be all the town has to offer...keep walking and there are more options.

OK am really hoping for some more details so we can decide between BP & Domes

As of today I’m holding reservations at both but need to cancel one as soon as we decide.

This is a special anniversary celebration for us so we are not leaving upgrades up to chance. The prices in Greece were reasonable enough that we booked rooms we would be happy in.

Next weekend I am going to try and find more video walkthroughs to help us make our decision- but any specific reasons you preferred Domes to BP would really help.

One thing I am curious about is whether the private pools will be heated enough to use at each property. Also, which property feels more private and boutique like (sounds like Domes) - which property has nicer rooms (sounds like Domes- although the room we booked at BP looked very nice in a video we found) which property has better service (sounds like Domes).

🙏

Last edited by damon88; Jul 10, 2018 at 6:41 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:07 pm

As of today I’m holding reservations at both but need to cancel one as soon as we decide.

This is a special anniversary celebration for us so we are not leaving upgrades up to chance. The prices in Greece were reasonable enough that we booked rooms we would be happy in.

Next weekend I am going to try and find more video walkthroughs to help us make our decision- but any specific reasons you preferred Domes to BP would really help.

One thing I am curious about is whether the private pools will be heated enough to use at each property. Also, which property feels more private and boutique like (sounds like Domes) - which property has nicer rooms (sounds like Domes- although the room we booked at BP looked very nice in a video we found) which property has better service (sounds like Domes).

🙏

When are you going?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

View above Plaka. BP in the distance.

Our room pool and dark terrace.

🙏
We have stayed at the BP. We know the area well and wanted to give the hotel a try. We were there for 3 nights. We were in a smaller suite with a private pool. ( an upgrade as a gold) The pool was too cold to swim and faced East so by mid morning the sun was behind us and the terrace had no sun at all. Except for the view we found everything somewhat ordinary. Service, what food we tried, and even the property itself. It really could be any where ( again except for the view). My spouse will not return as there are better smaller boutique hotels in that area that we truly enjoyed. I would like very much to try Domes and from what I have read and seen it seems to me to be giving the BP a run as top dog in Plaka/Elounda.

Last edited by david55; Jul 10, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:47 am

damon88....I guess you saw what I posted in the Aspirational Marriott Property thread! Here is a quote of it for others in case they cannot find that thread at a later date when reading this thread.

I've stayed at both and just got back from the Domes two weeks ago. I have been wanting to post a comparison but haven't really had time. All I can say without a full comparison is that there is a BIG difference and the Domes is a much better property IMHO. Staff, service and elite recognition is on a completely different level...at least for my two stays! The new award level pricing for the Domes is just plain ridiculous but the Blue Palace should NOT be a the same level.
The Domes felt all round more luxurious than the Blue Palace. The BP was more of a mass tourism feel and less intimate than the Domes. One example...the Platinum breakfast at the BP is in a huge restaurant with tons of people and kids. At the Domes the Platinum breakfast could be eaten at a number of the onsite restaurants. We chose to eat at the Italian restaurant because it was close to the Residences area. At most there were 6-8 tables of people so even with some kids around it just felt more quiet and less like a mad zoo.
I have already covered the restaurants but I wanted to post a pic of the restaurant list I took which shows the options as well as when they were open during our stay. Overall we found the quality of the food better at the Domes in comparison to the BP. We aren't talking Michelin Star rated here but overall better. I can't swear to this but I also think the food was slightly more expensive at the BP. I seem to remember the Steakhouse being ridiculous for what it was.

Two other things that might impact a choice between the two properties are the beach and how you get to the beach!

- Beach...I have posted pics of the beach at the Domes above. I wouldn't consider it the nicest sand beach I have been to but it is ok. You can walk into the water without any footwear like flip flops or those crazy rubber socks. At the BP it is a rock beach and I am talking larger 6 inch plus rocks and not little pebbles. One slight advantage the BP might have is that the beach area seemed larger so you had a little more space between the chairs. See comparison pics below. I took a panorama video of the beach but cannot get it to post and it seems to turn on its side when I email it to myself. If anyone know how to post and correct sideways layout...please PM me.

- Getting to the beach...at the Domes you need to walk down from the reception building and at the BP there is a hillside electric transported (sorry can't think of the real name for it) the walk at the Domes is not a big deal but some might like the BP better. I must say we liked riding the thing at the BP but it was like being in a sauna while you were in there. Riding it down was a cool picture/video opportunity. I also have a video of the ride on from the beach to the main building but as noted above on the panorama video of the Domes beach I cannot figure out how to post.

Domes Beach:

Blue Palace Beach:

Private Pool

- At the Domes we had a Residence with a private pool and the temperature was acceptable. I am not sure if they are heated or not.
- At the Blue Palace we had the same pool shown in david55's pic above. It was definitely NOT warm and I only got into it once or twice to take the necessary pictures by my SO.

Departure

- This REALLY shows how they go above and beyond on the service side! The day before our departure day we inquired about a late checkout since we had a late flight to ATH from HER (I had asked when we arrived but they said it was too early to confirm or deny). They said they would check but when they called they sadly could not honor it since they were completely filled up. Instead of just saying your SOL they said they would let us know if anything opened up but we could definitely shower in the spa or there evidently were also showers near the adult pool we didn't know about. On the morning of our departure they reached out to us and again confirmed that we would sadly need to check out of the Residence at the 11:30 checkout time. They did however confirm that they had a "Courtesy Room" for us where we could store our belongings between the checkout time and our departure time and we gladly accepted. I wasn't sure what to imagine under "Courtesy Room" but it turned out to be a very basic hotel rooms that was perfectly fine to just come back into after the beach and to shower in before our departure. We wondered if maybe this was a staff room that they could use if they needed to stay at the resort overnight as it definitely couldn't be sold as a regular room in the resort due to the basic nature of the room. Regardless of it being basic...it was much appreciated as it allowed us to enjoy some time in the resort the day of our departure and still get cleaned up before we left the resort. I have no idea if they just have one of these rooms or if there are several. I'm unsure if they typically offer these to guest or if they made a special accommodation for us for the issue we had with the Italian restaurant for which they bent over backwards to resolve even thought we did not see it as big of a deal as they did.

Last edited by christianj; Jul 11, 2018 at 6:53 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:10 am

Domes it is!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

In reading christianj post above...I had forgotten about the tram at the BP that traverses the property from the reception down to the beach. It was our least favorite"amenity" on the property. Slow, crowded and claustrophobic, airless, and too many stops, it was frustrating that you had to get into a small enclosed space to get from point A to B when the only alternative was to walk a maze like confusing path through the property. For that alone, we would not return.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:39 am
SPG 5+ Badge

So it seems as if Domes is the clear winner- the pool temperature is the only thing hanging me up. I had already changed our Blue Palace room to the more expensive Island Suite specifically because the Island Suite is the only pool they heat. I am going to reach out to Domes and see if heating the pool is an option. We are going late in the season (October) and the pool is useless to us if it isn’t heated.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:54 am

damon88 go to their actual website where they have a chat function that I found really helpful. You can ask questions and I got the details for the private car transfer from them that way.

Welcome to Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection Hotels
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:56 am
SPG 5+ Badge

I just did a little more research- it seems as if the Island Suites come with a few extras:
  • Enjoy access to The Haven, the private section of the beach, exclusively reserved for guests staying in Island Suites and Villas
  • Enjoy an enhanced breakfast experience, with access to the private Breakfast Section at Olea Restaurant
Does anyone have experience with those?

The decision will probably come down to heated pool. Hopefully Domes can clarify when I call them this weekend.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:59 am

Does anyone have experience with those?

You might be better served with that question in the BP thread since it pertains to that property.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:15 am
SPG 5+ Badge

You might be better served with that question in the BP thread since it pertains to that property.

Haha- yes

Back to Domes I just found this on their website:
  • Heated 35 sq.m. (377 sq.ft.) private pool
    (Heated upon extra charge)

Now I just need to find out how much the charge is.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:17 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Back to Domes I just found this on their website:
  • Heated 35 sq.m. (377 sq.ft.) private pool
    (Heated upon extra charge)

Now I just need to find out how much the charge is.

Will be very curious to learn what charge is imposed to heat a private pool. That isn’t a good sign IMO. I wonder what they charge to use the air con or heating in the rooms/suites, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.