Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This is an all suite property. There are about 85 units total including suites, villa and private residence. New villas are planned.
There is no resort fee, no parking or valet fees, and buffet breakfast is included daily regardless of your status with Marriott.
There is no exec lounge for elites.
The resort is located about 8 minute drive North of the town of Elounda. The small town of Plaka is 3-4 minute drive to the North.
The ferry to Spinalonga Island is 10 euro the round trip. The admission to the island is another 8 euro per person.
Haute Living lounge is only available for those who have paid for Villas.

Titanium benefits are generous (as at August 2020):
  • Complimentary Breakfast in our Restaurant (Tholos) throughout your stay (When booking on redemption stay)
  • One Complimentary Dinner in our Restaurant (Blend or their choice on check-in), drinks excluded
  • Spa thermae Facilities (per Adult, per stay - was a 20 minute back massage)
  • VIP Check-in over a signature aperitif overlooking the famous UNESCO protected islet of Spinalonga
  • 1000 bonus points (in addition to any normal bonus), posts about 5-7 days later
Then the usual: Complimentary Upgrade (upon availability); Late Check-Out (upon request, upon availability).
Print Wikipost

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jtp1947
I will do a trip report and let you know. Really looking forward to staying at this property. Their prices on Marriott website include taxes also. We reserved a 4 family, 2 bedroom room, sea view, hot tub on the balcony, for 344 euro a night, senior discount.
Sounds good. I will be there sometime in early/mid June
Old May 15, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Not for couples

I just finished a stay here at the end of April and although the resort is nice and service is good I think it's better suited for families.

Positives

Registration took place in the bar overlooking the sea with a welcome drink
Welcome gift of wine, water, and sweets
Breakfast is included and of good quality for a European breakfast with eggs to order, fresh fruits, cold meats and fish, salad, yogurt, pastries, and sparkling wine
Received a bottle of olive oil as a thank you gift for staying
Service is friendly
Adults only pool
Outdoor tennis court overlooking sea
All suites hotel with balconies so plenty of space
Proper turndown service with chocolate and water

Neutral

Rooms are nice but not luxurious feeling. They are a little worn.
Private beach but filled with a lot of kids so it's not relaxing.
Location is isolated. You can walk to Plaka in 15 minutes to take a boat to Spinalonga but you have to drive really far to get anywhere else.
Hilly and steep resort split in two areas which requires hiking or taking a cart to get between both sides.

Negatives

The Italian restaurant was overpriced, the food wasn't good, and the service while it started off good in the beginning disappeared after the main course was served.

The bathrooms were hideous with floor to ceiling black tiles and a bright blue bathtub which didn't seem to fit with the decor. I would recommend paying extra for the sea view suites as the garden suites are not private and look onto the pathways so using the jacuzzi is awkward.

(If a couple)
It seemed like 90% of the people staying there were families with small kids or babies and from breakfast, to the larger pool, to restaurants, to the room you can hear screaming babies and kids. There is no way to avoid this unless you probably rent a private villa on the other side of the resort and stay in it. It wasn't relaxing at all so despite the beautiful surroundings and great service I would not recommend for couples trying to get away from it all.

I stayed at the Domes Noruz Chania right afterwards and this resort just could not compare in many ways. However the resort really caters to families so probably a good choice if you have small ones.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

I think this one markets to families & Chania to singles/couples.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Yes definitely a family resort. The pregnant wife and i are leaving today. Nice resort. We were upgraded to a luxury 2 bedroom villa with private pool in the villa i believe due to my gold status.

The resort is walkable but requires a number of stairs since we are on a mountain. But we really enjoyed ourselves. We only ate on the on the resort once so i cant comment on the food(Elounda and Plaka are so close and have great food options). But the beach was relaxing and the pool was heated. Staff was also very attentive.

And definitely a family resort though it didnt really bother us. But if you dont want to hear lots of kids and that bothers you then you may wish to look elsewhere or book a private vila
Old May 15, 2017, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by njxbean
Yes definitely a family resort. The pregnant wife and i are leaving today. Nice resort. We were upgraded to a luxury 2 bedroom villa with private pool in the villa i believe due to my gold status.

The resort is walkable but requires a number of stairs since we are on a mountain. But we really enjoyed ourselves. We only ate on the on the resort once so i cant comment on the food(Elounda and Plaka are so close and have great food options). But the beach was relaxing and the pool was heated. Staff was also very attentive.

And definitely a family resort though it didnt really bother us. But if you dont want to hear lots of kids and that bothers you then you may wish to look elsewhere or book a private vila
Did you feel like you needed a car or are the restaurants in Elounda and Plaka not too far walking distance?
Old May 16, 2017, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Did you feel like you needed a car or are the restaurants in Elounda and Plaka not too far walking distance?
you don't need a car. Plaka you can most defintely walk to. Elounda you could walk to but it would be a longish one and parts of the road don't necessarily have a side walk. But taxis are around 6-9 euro each way so it's easy.

however I recommend getting a car. There are numerous small villages that are worth checking out like kritsa for example. Cars are pretty cheap on the island.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:38 am

Ah okay. Thanks! I hate driving and avoid it if I can. Might just walk around and take the taxi when i need to.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Ah okay. Thanks! I hate driving and avoid it if I can. Might just walk around and take the taxi when i need to.
Yea you can definitely do this. But if you can take a day trip to kritsa, its only 30 minutes and really beautiful.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

This was posted in the exec lounge sticky thread by jtp1947 & provided more info than I need, so thought I'd post the additional info here.

"Free and really good buffet breakfast served to all guests. If you are staying in the lower villas the breakfast is served in the Tholos restaurant near reception. If you are staying in the upper villas the breakfast is served in the Italian restaurant, Blend, next to the lounge. Champagne and Bloody Mary bar included.

The lounge is open 24 hours with hot and cold apps throughout the day. Free beer and wine. Nespresso espresso machine and Nespresso filtered coffee machine. Two computers, one P C and one Mac plus one printer."

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:46 pm

Any recent stays by Platinum members? Added benefits? Room upgrades?
Old May 26, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by utl567
See posts #32 onward.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
We stayed 3 nights mid May. No room upgrade or added benefits as Platinum.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by utl567
Im gold and got upgraded a few weeks ago from a 2 bedroom villa to the 2 bedroom luxury villa with access to the haute lounge. ^

other than no real added benefits. Breakfast is free for anyone regardless of status.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Trying to book for April next year but no awards uploaded yet. Anyone kept a track of when they open rooms?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:45 am

Checked out of the hotel recently. Had a great stay here as we received a Platinum upgrade to a 2BR Villa with a private pool. Staying in this area of the resort allows you to have access to the Haute Lounge which is a 24hr lounge. Free drinks (water, coffee, tea, beers, wines, house champagne) and small snacks (pastries, sandwiches, fruits) are available. Breakfast for those in the villas are served at Blend which is connected to the Haute Lounge.

Other than one small issue, I have to say this was one of the best resorts I've stayed at especially because of the upgrade. Can't comment much about the dining as we ate breakfast at Blend and ordered room service every night since it was meant to be a relaxing stay.

The resort is located around an hr away from the airport and port so be prepared for a pretty long drive unless you get a driver in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.