Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
This is an all suite property. There are about 85 units total including suites, villa and private residence. New villas are planned.
There is no resort fee, no parking or valet fees, and buffet breakfast is included daily regardless of your status with Marriott.
There is no exec lounge for elites.
The resort is located about 8 minute drive North of the town of Elounda. The small town of Plaka is 3-4 minute drive to the North.
The ferry to Spinalonga Island is 10 euro the round trip. The admission to the island is another 8 euro per person.
Haute Living lounge is only available for those who have paid for Villas.

Titanium benefits are generous (as at August 2020):
  • Complimentary Breakfast in our Restaurant (Tholos) throughout your stay (When booking on redemption stay)
  • One Complimentary Dinner in our Restaurant (Blend or their choice on check-in), drinks excluded
  • Spa thermae Facilities (per Adult, per stay - was a 20 minute back massage)
  • VIP Check-in over a signature aperitif overlooking the famous UNESCO protected islet of Spinalonga
  • 1000 bonus points (in addition to any normal bonus), posts about 5-7 days later
Then the usual: Complimentary Upgrade (upon availability); Late Check-Out (upon request, upon availability).
Print Wikipost

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:41 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Will be very curious to learn what charge is imposed to heat a private pool. That isn’t a good sign IMO. I wonder what they charge to use the air con or heating in the rooms/suites, too.
Mystique supposedly had a charge to heat the pool too, but when we inquired they waived it for us. Will report back after I speak to Domes.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:29 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Wow- I have the answer

We would like to kindly inform you the private pool of the Domes Luxury Villa with private pool can be heated in October at the extra cost of 100.00€ per night.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:43 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
Wow- I have the answer

We would like to kindly inform you the private pool of the Domes Luxury Villa with private pool can be heated in October at the extra cost of 100.00€ per night.
And this is yet another reason why I never had either the Blue Palace nor Domes as a destination. That isn’t a 5* answer IMO. You have a private pool but you must pay a fee to heat it. You have air con but you must pay a fee to use it. We have heating but you must pay a fee to use it. We have food but you must pay a fee to eat it.

Screw that.

Crete wasn’t an interesting enough destination for us to begin with. Neither Blue Palace nor Domes are 5* enough to bother with, either.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:04 am
SPG 5+ Badge

She did say that the Villas come with extra amenities

HAUTE LIVING - Welcome to Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection Hotels

You should check the video Bhrubin - it looks pretty nice
An exclusive beach, where you can sunbathe in style in your pre-booked sun lounge while you’re enjoying the spectacular view of Spinaloga Island and the Aegean.
Plus, the Haute Living Lounge, an HL-residents only, 24/7 accessible area with a series of all inclusive services
  • Dedicated villa manager
  • 24/7 concierge services
  • Domes ultra-privacy villa check-in
  • Exclusive mobile phone with one-button access to the villa manager & room service manager
  • Daily aperitivo time before dinner (with tailor-made cocktails and canapes)
  • Pre-booked seafront sun loungers at our private beach, with exclusive services throughout the entire stay
  • Upgraded welcome amenities
  • Upgraded bath amenities
  • Pillow menu selection
  • Delivery service of grocery list
  • Exclusive Haute Living Events & Happening
    And On Request
  • In-villa signature dining

• Upgraded room service menu

• Dedicated butler service

• Helicopter transfers

Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just make sure you are booking a VILLA if you want those Haute Living extras as the Residences are NOT considered part of the Villas!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:53 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

She did say that the Villas come with extra amenities

HAUTE LIVING - Welcome to Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection Hotels

You should check the video Bhrubin - it looks pretty nice
An exclusive beach, where you can sunbathe in style in your pre-booked sun lounge while you’re enjoying the spectacular view of Spinaloga Island and the Aegean.
Plus, the Haute Living Lounge, an HL-residents only, 24/7 accessible area with a series of all inclusive services
  • Dedicated villa manager
  • 24/7 concierge services
  • Domes ultra-privacy villa check-in
  • Exclusive mobile phone with one-button access to the villa manager & room service manager
  • Daily aperitivo time before dinner (with tailor-made cocktails and canapes)
  • Pre-booked seafront sun loungers at our private beach, with exclusive services throughout the entire stay
  • Upgraded welcome amenities
  • Upgraded bath amenities
  • Pillow menu selection
  • Delivery service of grocery list
  • Exclusive Haute Living Events & Happening
    And On Request
  • In-villa signature dining

• Upgraded room service menu

• Dedicated butler service

• Helicopter transfers

And yet they still want to charge you an extra $100 a night to heat your private villa pool.

Nickel and diming like that isn't impressive. I find that incredibly distasteful and not 5* at all.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:55 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by christianj
Just make sure you are booking a VILLA if you want those Haute Living extras as the Residences are NOT considered part of the Villas!
That is what we are holding now.

It it really does look nice. It is a bummer about the pool but it does look huge & I bet it is expensive to heat in October.

We are going to do a deep dive this weekend but right now I am still leaning toward Domes.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

That is what we are holding now.

It it really does look nice. It is a bummer about the pool but it does look huge & I bet it is expensive to heat in October.

We are going to do a deep dive this weekend but right now I am still leaning toward Domes.
I hope you have a fab time. Here's hoping that you might be able to press your Ambassador to press them to forego the $100 fee for the villa pool. (To me, that still is gouging.)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

And yet they still want to charge you an extra $100 a night to heat your private villa pool.

Nickel and diming like that isn't impressive. I find that incredibly distasteful and not 5* at all.
It actually is $117 a night...the rate quoted was in Euros.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I really don't think you guys will need the heater unless you are at the end of October. As long as the nights don't cool off too much it shouldn't be too bad.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:21 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by david55
It actually is $117 a night...the rate quoted was in Euros.
If we opt for Domes we wouldn’t heat the pool every day (I emailed back to ask about this). No point paying to heat it on days we are out touring the island.

And why Crete? I guess it goes back to college when I had friends who lived there and told me stories- I am a huge history buff and it’s a place I’ve always wanted to see.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:45 pm

Crete is amazing.....and a worthy destination. And while I get the status and allegiance thing.....Elounda, the largest village closest to Domes and BP "invented" the deluxe high end resort in Greece in the mid 70s. There are so many incredible hotels and resorts along that coast line to stay. And they would not be charging you to heat the pool or turn on the AC. That sounds more like a big box corporate mandate.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:36 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by david55
Crete is amazing.....and a worthy destination. And while I get the status and allegiance thing.....Elounda, the largest village closest to Domes and BP "invented" the deluxe high end resort in Greece in the mid 70s. There are so many incredible hotels and resorts along that coast line to stay. And they would not be charging you to heat the pool or turn on the AC. That sounds more like a big box corporate mandate.
You are probably right david55 and I hope we don’t regret our decision. If we end up choosing BP it will be because of our stellar treatment over the years at SPG Luxury Collection properties. I feel very confident they would take care of us there. If we choose Domes it will be because of reports here on FT which I value more than any other reviews & because I do want to give Marriott’s top properties a test run. (I realize that that makes me a guinea pig 😮 ). But all travel is a roll of the die 🎲
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

I found this resort to do that quite a bit. The paid coffee in the room was extremely bad taste. Paying $800 a night for a room surely they can add on $1 worth of coffee for free.

Not allowing my toddler to carry her coco pops back to the room was another one. They expected us to pay and call for it to the room.

Originally Posted by christianj
I really don't think you guys will need the heater unless you are at the end of October. As long as the nights don't cool off too much it shouldn't be too bad.
We were there in May and it was around 25c daily but the pools were freezing. I would imagine October to be much colder.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:35 am

Both these resorts face east towards the water. In the case of the BP where we have stayed in a pool suite, the sun is gone from the pool terrace by mid morning and it was in the shade the rest of the day. There was no time for the water to heat with that limited sun time. I think the key to " heat or not" depends on the location of your room, and at the BP only the most expensive villas appeared to be facing SE to capture the mid afternoon sun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.