Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 6:15 am

Programs: Free Agent! B6 Mosaic, AA 5MM LT Plat (EXP gone), SPG LT Plat, WN APlus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GVA
I went there once earlier this year for two nights, never again.

I found the staff quite rude and unaccommodating. Perhaps it was due to me having a slightly distorted view of customer service, but my problem had to do with checkout times.

I had decided to take a city tour on the morning of my departure before flying out of SYD at 3PM back to the US. My city tour had an end time of approximately 1150. I requested from front-desk 1230 check-out. Front-desk came back at me telling me that it would cost the hotel money and that they had a full hotel that coming evening. My point to them was that allowing an SPG Elite 30 minutes more, wouldn't make a difference seeing that they can't physically have all their maids preparing every single room at the same time anyways. I spoke to three people at reception, each with a higher rank than the other but each one more rude.

In the end, my tour finished early and I was back in my hotel room at 1130. I physically got myself out of the hotel by 1200, but as an act of revenge (small one but still) didn't checkout. 2 weeks later, to my astonishment, the bill arrived with the checkout time being nearly 2PM.

If a hotel wants to be so much of a pain in the ... and then doesn't even verify if a guest has left for an extra 2 hours after they have left then in my book it's because they have serious service flaws.

Some positives to end though, I did get an upgrade to marine view (including watch the A380 come in every morning around 730AM) and location is quite convenient. The rooms themselves were fairly worn out and not worth writing home about.

Next time I go to Sydney I'll go to a different SPG hotel...
I'm confused a bit by your post. Did they not allow a late checkout for a SPG Plat (which your profile says you are) or were you some other SPG Elite level at the time? The former should happen whether they are full or not, as it is an advertised benefit. I had no problem with it when I stayed there last month.

On the "doesn't even verify that a guest has left for an extra 2 hours after they have left" point, I don't see what you expect them to do. If you don't checkout, should they have a facial scanning system in the elevator to notice when you leave with your suitcase or something? Not exactly their problem IMHO. But they should have given you late checkout in the first place.

Anyway, I didn't talk to the staff much but encountered no rudeness, and got a nice upgrade as well, so it is still in my list of places to stay (not nearly as nice as the Westin, but not nearly as expensive either). As with all of these issues, just goes to show that YMMV I guess.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:20 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Have just completed a stay here and was impressed.Had planned to stay 3 nights at the end of an Asian trip which fell through due to the PAD in Bangkok.Original 3 nights booked as a november special,2 nights added as a december special-$A170.For the first night the place was virtually booked out so had to cough up $A270 for the night but it included breakfast,parking,coffee and a slice of pie.Needed the 6 nights to complete the 4th Q promo.
Check in was a breeze considering the 3 different bookings.Agent had to get the managers permission but upgraded to a Darling Harbour suite.Large room though basic furnishings.

The views from the room are great and i also liked watching the A380 approach SYD.

Staff I encountered were all friendly especially the doormen.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:15 pm

Just did a stay there with 3 rooms for NYE

no upgrades just what we paid for as Plat I though I would get at least one room upgraded.

the hotel is VERY tired

the lounge is uncomfortable and falling apart
the bell staff I must say were exceptional

also when we went into the room it was set on 27 degrees

middle of summer and facing the western sun
4pm

unacceptable as far as I am concerned!
took an hour to cool down the room after getting staff in to re set the air con
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by aussiechris
Yes the 4 Points in Sydney is currently for sale.The biggest hotel in Australia will probably end up being rebranded and leave Starwoods.However the asking price is high and finding the necessary finance may be the catch.
Still no buyer because of the high price for the largest hotel in Australia. Certain to leave Starwood's
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Just did a stay there with 3 rooms for NYE

no upgrades just what we paid for as Plat I though I would get at least one room upgraded (snip)
Just out of interest, could you see the NYE fireworks from this hotel at all? I am thinking of booking a hotel for 2009/2010 NYE fireworks .

Was the rate ridiculous?

Thanks in advance .

P.S I am disappointed to hear that the hotel is up for sale and therefore may leave SPG, we hardly have any affordable choices here as it is . This property has generally treated me well so I dont want to see it go .

Last edited by Downunder girl; Jan 5, 2009 at 6:11 am
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Just out of interest, could you see the NYE fireworks from this hotel at all? I am thinking of booking a hotel for 2009/2010 NYE fireworks .

Was the rate ridiculous?

Thanks in advance .

P.S I am disappointed to hear that the hotel is up for sale and therefore may leave SPG, we hardly have any affordable choices here as it is . This property has generally treated me well so I dont want to see it go .
We stayed there a couple of years ago on new years eve. We were able to book two rooms for 3,000 points each. Can't see from the hotel, but right near the docks to take a cruise to see the firworks which I would greatly recommend.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:22 pm

To those who have stayed at Westin Sydney and Four Points Sydney, did you find Westin a lot better?

I found Westin quite nice when I stayed there a few years ago, but I haven't stayed at Four Points. Because I have a 5-day stay in Sydney coming up, I'm wondering if it's a decent place to stay for two days or so? I want to split the stay if possible, just to give me some variety, but not if Four Points is much 'less nice' than Westin.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Downunder girl

Was the rate ridiculous?

Thanks in advance .

I didn't stay there for NYE, but this NYE just gone had fireworks at Darling Harbour which you would see if you have a harbour-side room (obviously). As you'd no doubt know, you'd also need a room at the southern end of the hotel. You wouldn't be able to see much at the northern end and you'd get a sore neck.

Not sure about rates either, but as a comparison, I'd friends staying at the Novotel on the other side of Darling Harbour, their rate for 30-Dec was AUD$250, and the rate for 31-Dec was AUD$500, then back to AUD$250 for 1-Jan - and that's not even for a harbour-side room.

P.S. Like you, this 4Pts has treated me well as a lowly gold. Even had a couple of upgrades to suites (city-side) and just about always get an upgrade of some sort... I don't want to see it leave SPG either, but the hotel is getting a bit tired (especially with the plumbing) and need a bit of work...
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
To those who have stayed at Westin Sydney and Four Points Sydney, did you find Westin a lot better?

I found Westin quite nice when I stayed there a few years ago, but I haven't stayed at Four Points. Because I have a 5-day stay in Sydney coming up, I'm wondering if it's a decent place to stay for two days or so? I want to split the stay if possible, just to give me some variety, but not if Four Points is much 'less nice' than Westin.
The Westin is a lot nicer and is reflected by the price. Have you considered Sheraton on the Park? SOTP is closer to the Westin (in terms of 'nice-ness') than 4Pts.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 5:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I was at Darling Harbour for the 9pm 08/09 NYE fireworks (but not staying in the 4P's itself) and must say that there are at least 3 fireworks positions (if not more) which you would be able to see from the 4P. I did not see the midnight DH fireworks as I went around to the main midnight specatular on Sydney Harbour.

The main fireworks is smack bang in the middle of DH, then there is another main set of fireworks towards the north of King Street Wharf, and then they also release more fireworks around the bay at Pyrmont wharves. At times, they were simultaneously.

If you had a harbour view 4P room, I'm sure you could see at least all three sets of fireworks.

If you do decide to split up your stays, make sure you stay at the Westin at the end because it may make the 4P feel like a Hampton Inn
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:01 pm

If you book a harbour view room yes you can certainly see the 9pm and the midnight DH fireworks.
they werent as good this year as last year( we have stayed at this hotel every NYE for the last 7 as we have a few people in to watch the fireworks). but please rememebr they have very few rooms with balconies so you are looking out on glass and the rooms are stiflingly hot if they dont fix that air conditioning as the rooms face the hot summer afternoon sun!
and to check out the prices for next year they are outrageous $A560 for one night and no guarantee of a balcony!I would certainly never pay that amount!
the suites are $A700 and no guarantee of a balcony!

and to answer the other question there is absolutely no comparasin between this Sheraton and the other 2 they are far superior!
the only thing this has going for it is the view

Last edited by tinkybelle; Jan 7, 2009 at 4:08 pm Reason: the usual typing errors!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by sheepherder
We stayed there a couple of years ago on new years eve. We were able to book two rooms for 3,000 points each. Can't see from the hotel, but right near the docks to take a cruise to see the firworks which I would greatly recommend.
Keep in mind that this hotel jumped to a category 4 and so a standard room is now 10,000 points.

Downunder girl if the rooms are too expensive for NYE (I've never booked a hotel in Sydney for NYE because of the high cost) I can recommend the fireworks at Darling Harbour on Australia Day. Of course there is no Harbour Bridge and Opera House but the fireworks are pretty spectacular and room rates are usually reasonable. There is other entertainment during the day, info here http://www.darlingharbour.com/index.cfm?menu_id=1920
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:05 am

Thanks Leumas and Alanslegal.

As per your advice, I think I'll split SOTP and Westin, with Westin after SOTP, and leave Four Points alone (or only book if I can't get Westin or SOTP).

When booking Starwood properties in Australia, would Starwood website be the one offering the best value? I haven't booked a Starwood property in Australia before (I didn't book Westin myself), so I don't really know what's best.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:34 pm

Try these sites to check prices

Thanks Leumas and Alanslegal.

As per your advice, I think I'll split SOTP and Westin, with Westin after SOTP, and leave Four Points alone (or only book if I can't get Westin or SOTP).

When booking Starwood properties in Australia, would Starwood website be the one offering the best value? I haven't booked a Starwood property in Australia before (I didn't book Westin myself), so I don't really know what's best.
AusEuroFlyer... you can check spg.com pricing for comparison here

www.wotif.com
www.lastminute.com.au
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:25 pm

Thank you Aussiechris.

Do you happen to know if the stays booked through those sites would qualify for 'stays' towards SPG status and get points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.