Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Silver , Marriott Silver, blah, blah, blah

Has anyone got any tips for staying at the 4 Points in downtown Syd? We're flying in from Canada (for a vacation) and arriving at 07:20 and have requested an early check-in. I figure that once our bodies figure out what day/time it is it will be late in the afternoon that day. My husband & I have both been to AUZ before (but about 8 years ago) so we're looking for some cheap eats around the hotel before we start strolling around looking like tourists. How is that 4Pts btw? The rack rate on the room was outrageously high, but we got the room for SPG points... We're only in SYD befor two days before we move on..

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 30, 2008 at 7:16 pm Reason: Pre 2006 reports can be found at http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=894174
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:03 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There isn't anything within a block of the 4Pts (except the restaurants at the hotel, good but not cheap), however a short walk takes you to Darling Harbour and the dozens of tourist-trap restaurants there (some quite good, but generally not cheap). For cheap you need to walk about a mile to chinatown.

The Sydney aquarium (very close to the hotel) is a must-see. Lots of other places in town, 2 days is not enough time to see 1/4 of them.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by psandercock
The Sydney aquarium (very close to the hotel) is a must-see. Lots of other places in town, 2 days is not enough time to see 1/4 of them.

Chinatown- here we come! After 17 hours on a plane, I think a one mile walk to chinatown will do us good. and yes, I agree. I don't think I could 'see' SYD in less than a month! But two days it is, before we head over to NZ for two weeks.
I was in Sydney for three nights as well in March this year staying at the 4pts property. I got a Plat upgrade to a suite with a harbourview balcony for about $95 USD per night. Chinatown is not very far at all. You will find most convenience stores have Internet Access if you need one (there are at least two within short walking dist. from the hotel). And if you'll be there during weekend (Fri to Sun), don't forget to visit the Paddy's market, one of the largest flea markets in town. I bought the 3-day Sydney Pass which lets you travel free on all buses, trains, ferries plus their explorer buses http://www.sydneypass.info/
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
If your stay happens to be over the weekend, I would suggest you save those points.
Starwood is having a major sale right now and I just found the Four Points Sydney for July 21-23 and many nearby dates (through end of december) for 92 AUD/night, approximately 68 USD
Bookable directly on Starwood site at http://tinyurl.com/mf6r8

Last edited by yevlesh2; Jun 7, 2006 at 10:52 am
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Sydney=Harbor, the harbor cruise isn't cheap but it will give you a very nice feel for the fact that this is first and foremost a waterfront city. Chinatown is much less than a mile, and has a lot of authentic cuisine, worth a wander. You might also find it interesting to visit the fish market...

We also enjoyed walking around downtown (i.e. in the middle of town, as opposed to over by the harbor); very interesting "malls" set inside old buildings. And you might even look for some of Australia's best bargains: opals, and wine...not necessarily in that order
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:29 am
Suspended

Just walk up Market Street and you will find QVB (Queen Victoria Building). Theres an Asian foodcourt in the basement. Its a lot closer than Chinatown. Walk a little further and you will find Sydney Central Plaza which has one of the most impressive foodcourt in SYD.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
4 points at the moment is having promotional rates. For cheap eats, your best bets is to go to chinatown or use the food courts.

cheers
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:44 am

Programs: QF Gold, HH Gold
Doyles (watsons bay & harbour) is also recommened if you like seafood.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
For a morning arrival, if you walk out the front door of the hotel and turn left, there is a decent deli about a half block down (actually attached to the small shopping arcade accessible through the Four Points where you can get a light breakfast or lunch. I always find a spot of raisin toast will hold me over a couple of hours until I get to where lunch will be.

If you need to get your bearings about town and "see" a lot of stuff, all of the tour companies have a lunchtime harbour cruise that departs out of Darling Harbour. Check around for what they include... the price points between them are usually only a few dollars, but some include a raw bar or drinks. The tour companies all sell an add-on tour in the afternoon that is a bus trip out to some of the further points like Bondi Beach. I did it the first time I was in Sydney and it was great to get my bearings and see stuff I wouldn't otherwise see, but otherwise not necessary. Since I was jet-lagged that day, however, it was nice to just get on a bus and doze in between stops and the tour wound up before dinner time, leaving us plenty of time to do other things later in the day.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
Just back from my third stay at the 4Points. It is probably my favorite
Starwood property in SYD, but others may feel otherwise. Have used
the Westin and the Sheraton on the Park as well, and they are great
properties, but I think I get more for my money (or SPG points) at the
4Points.

If you have elite SPG status you can request to be upgraded to a Maritime
Studio at the 4Points (or you can use some extra SPG points).

This will give you a large room with a balcony and an awesome view of
Darling Harbour. The higher floor the better, obviously.

There is a microwave in the room and some basic utensiles, in
case you want to do some in-room cooking (nah - didn't think so).

On the other hand, you are only in SYD for a couple of nights so
you may not care about the upgrade, unless it is complimentary.

But do ask for a harbour view room, as the "city view" is directly into the building across the street.

Annoyingly, on my first two visits I was charged for minibar use post-
departure, in spite of not even having opened the minibar. The charges
were minor (A$ 10.00 - 12.00) but incorrect. E-mails to the hotel
corrected the "mistakes", but it was an unnecessary hassle.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
only spg plat members get the suites. as a spg gold member, the upgrade for me usually consists of a view change from city view to harbour view... thats all....
also this is a former nikko hotel so many rooms differ in size
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trekkie
as a spg gold member, the upgrade for me usually consists of a view change from city view to harbour view... thats all....
and you have been a very lucky gold. When I was gold all that I got was a higher floor room with no harbour view unless I booked one
Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by trekkie
...also this is a former nikko hotel so many rooms differ in size
A japanese tradition as room size must match corporate status ... so the underling gets a room 1/3 the size of that of the boss. This tremendous diversity in room sizes (it really is 200%) accounts for the sometimes differing opinions about the 4Pts that are found on the web (and makes upgrades much more valuable than at most hotels, where the rooms are all the same size). Last year the pricing was very high for 4Pts, often it was within 10% of the Westin price -- absurd (there is a huge difference in quality). But prices have fallen dramatically (when I checked last November the cheapest rate was AUD 250, no these sub-100 rates being mentioned).
Old Jun 7, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
I've stayed here alot.. Central Plaza is my choice as another person noted above. I also like to walk to the Quay and eat in the rocks.. It's a nice walk either to get breakfast or following.. On the weekend, they will also have an open air market that opens about 10 or 11 am.. It will pass the time until your room is available.. A nice thing to do is to take the ferry to Manly, which provides excellent harbor views and you end a short walk to the Atlantic Ocean. You can also go to Bondi on the bus or via the train. The train leaves from QVB which is close to the hotel. Another neat place to go for lunch is the fish market.. Great sushi and other fish.. Busy on the weekend. A short walk from the hotel.. For a nice night out, I really enjoy Wildfire which is in the Quay overlooking the opera house. You can also just go there to sit outside overlooking the opera house.. It's a fun city with plenty of neat spots to visit... Enjoy the trip..
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: AA: Exec. Plat, 4MM+, UA: 1K, 3MM+, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt: Globalist, Hilton: Diamond
Originally Posted by DZMAN
I've stayed here alot.. Central Plaza is my choice as another person noted above. I also like to walk to the Quay and eat in the rocks.. It's a nice walk either to get breakfast or following.. On the weekend, they will also have an open air market that opens about 10 or 11 am.. It will pass the time until your room is available.. A nice thing to do is to take the ferry to Manly, which provides excellent harbor views and you end a short walk to the Atlantic Ocean. You can also go to Bondi on the bus or via the train. The train leaves from QVB which is close to the hotel. Another neat place to go for lunch is the fish market.. Great sushi and other fish.. Busy on the weekend. A short walk from the hotel.. For a nice night out, I really enjoy Wildfire which is in the Quay overlooking the opera house. You can also just go there to sit outside overlooking the opera house.. It's a fun city with plenty of neat spots to visit... Enjoy the trip..
Depends on what you consider a short walk, but IMHO it is a very LOOONG
walk from Manly to the Atlantic Ocean. A walk to the Pacific Ocean on the
other hand is quite short from the Manly ferry terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.