Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:15 am

An update

The online confirmation that I received quoted a total price of $150 and said nothing of the $15 that was added earlier in the booking process. However,the email confirmation was for $150+$15.

Even though it was an Internet Only rate it wasn't pre-charged (or at least I hope it wasn't!) and on check-out only $150 was charged.

So I presume it is just an error in the loading of the GST being included or not.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Hilton Silv; AA Plat; QF Gold;
Just booked my first ever stay at Four Points Sydney...

I'm usually a Westin boy, however the rates at both Sheraton and Westin are ridiculous at the moment, which I think has something to do with APEC happening last week.

Anyway, I found (and booked) this little gem at the 4-Points:
Spa Studio
70 Sqm Studio Room Overlooking Sussex Street.bathroom With Spa Bath.
Spa Studio, Contemporary Furnishings, Smoking, Separate Spa Bath Shower, Spacious Lounge And Dining

Funnily enough, this is at the same rate as their lowest category room (City-side). Is there anything I need to be wary off, or is it too good to be true?

I believe they only have 1 of these type of rooms, and I'm a non-smoker. Hopefully the smell isn't too overpowering, however I've never really had a bad experience with Starwood when put in a smoking room. I don't really care about the view, because I'm a Sydney-sider anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with this room? Could it be a nasty surprise??

Thanks for your feedback!!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:45 am

Just noticed this hotel has extended their "Prepaid" rate plan.

Check out: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...egory=GENDRE_H

Previously, only Sheraton and Westin were appearing, but this has changed in the last day or so.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Do you mind sharing how much you paid for this room?

While I haven't stayed in this particular type of room, from my past experience, the cheapest rate is somewhere around AUD$180 to AUD$220.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Leumas
Do you mind sharing how much you paid for this room?

While I haven't stayed in this particular type of room, from my past experience, the cheapest rate is somewhere around AUD$180 to AUD$220.
A$190 p/night.

Almost seems too cheap for a room that size. I'm wondering what's the catch!?!

Last edited by SnoozingWithStarwood; Sep 13, 2007 at 3:45 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by SnoozingWithStarwood
A$190 p/night.

Almost seems too cheap for a room that size. I'm wondering what's the catch!?!
I have never stayed in this room type but have stayed in several other types including the most basic (city side twin) to a harbour view suite. All I can say is I have never had a "nasty" room, just some very small ones.

If the description says "overlooking Sussex Street" it may well be a city view, however at that price, I would jump at it. Actually, I'm jealous.

Last edited by snufl; Sep 13, 2007 at 5:14 pm
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:31 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I stayed in the studio overlooking the harbour (I think) I was actually upgraded as a Gold.
I was very very impress and satisfied with the 4P. The checkin staff was nice, addressed me by name, the manager called twice during my 4 day stay to make sure everything was good. The concierge were also helpful, including the baggage problem we had. And breakfast was good (good it was included in the rate cause I think it was normally like $45)
Room was nice. There was a balconly, big king bed, desk, bar with a microwave, a big bathroom with 2 sinks. I would say bigger then the Westin in Melbourne, but not finished off as nice as that Westin was, but being a lot cheaper than the Westin.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
This hotel has Cat 3 Cash and Points for most if not all of January. I booked 8 nights, 4 one week, 4 a couple of weeks later.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 1:32 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Considering an MR to get the Q4 bonus points from SPG. So far I can find the 4P for $185 for King City View room (on a GOVT rate). Does anyone know, as a gold SPG will I get an upgrade being on a Govt rate (yes, I have ID)? Or do they save their small rooms for govt rates .

I am thinking of a Friday night booking.

Both the SOP and Westin are coming up more pricey.

Does the 4P have a lounge? If yes, can I get free access as a gold SPG?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 2:17 am

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Considering an MR to get the Q4 bonus points from SPG. So far I can find the 4P for $185 for King City View room (on a GOVT rate). Does anyone know, as a gold SPG will I get an upgrade being on a Govt rate (yes, I have ID)? Or do they save their small rooms for govt rates .

I am thinking of a Friday night booking.

Both the SOP and Westin are coming up more pricey.

Does the 4P have a lounge? If yes, can I get free access as a gold SPG?
The 4P does not have a lounge. The SOTP and Westin do, but Gold does not give you access. As a Gold you get a "preferred room" but no entitlement to an upgrade. I stayed several times as a Gold at the 4P during the past year and did get an upgrade once. I was thrilled to get it . So, it can happen, but don't expect it.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by snufl
The 4P does not have a lounge. The SOTP and Westin do, but Gold does not give you access. As a Gold you get a "preferred room" but no entitlement to an upgrade. I stayed several times as a Gold at the 4P during the past year and did get an upgrade once. I was thrilled to get it . So, it can happen, but don't expect it.
Thanks for the info ^. I have booked at 4P so I will see how I go. I dont "expect" anything special, but will be happy if I am surprised with a preferred room .
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:05 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
The 4points was actually very nice in SYD. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were nice. I liked it.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:58 am

Smile 4 points

Where is the 4points located and what price range??
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:43 pm

4 Pts is at 161 Sussex St, Sydney, overlooking Darling Harbour. The cheapest price I have found recently was $185 AUD (govt rate). Check out the SPG website - you will get rates there.

I had 2 recent paid stays at this hotel. The first was not the greatest, but still ok. It was a busy night at the hotel and they were oversold, so I was not able to get a "preferred room upgrade", nor have my request for a high floor accommodated. I was told at check in that I did have the 4pm late check out. I was given a room on the 5th floor, city side, over looking the car park (only bonus of that was that I could see my car parked there ). The room was quite small, with a work desk right along side the king size bed, a TV cabinet, wardrobe as you walk in door and reasonable sized bathroom. It was nothing flash. However the bed was very comfortable.

I had issues with the lighting not working and the air cond was set at 9 degrees C! Freezing. I was not able to adjust it. Called reception, reported this. Advised someone would come straight up, almost 1 hr later (turning into an icicle), I called again - apologies and then maintenance arrived about 10 mins later. Fixed all the problems. Next day while I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door, housekeeping started knocking, wanting to clean room. I called to reception to see if there was a problem with my late check out, was told I didnt have late check out and they needed the room! After explaining that I was told I did have the late check out, receptionist didnt budge, so I advised I would be out by 2.30pm. Filled in the customer card, noting these issues.

While I was waiting in reception, Manager came out to apologise and offered to arrange a nicer room for me next time I stay ^.

My second stay was great ^. Upgraded to Darling Harbour Suite on SPG floor, 2 rooms, with lounge and workdesk, TV in one room and then king bed, TV, walk in robe in second room and huge bathroom leading off that. Balcony and great views overlooking Darling Harbour. A welcome bottle of wine, cheese, crackers, and nuts was also provided :-:. Very nice touch. This room also provides a toaster, microwave and plates, bowls and cutlery, bathrobes and slippers. Standard rooms do not have this AFAIK.

Ate at the restaurant for dinner, quite nice food but fairly pricey for the size of the main meal. Mini DG had child's meal - it was huge and very good value.

BTW - this hotel does NOT have a pool. A downside IMHO, if you feel like a dip on a hot day. Car parking is quite expensive and not within the property. You are given a voucher to park across the street - cost per day is $35 AUD (this is a discount price, apparently)!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
4pts sydney

I just completed a couple of nights at the 4pts Sydney and as a zero status SPG with cheapest available reservations, I was upgraded on both occasions to preferred floors and given a Harbor View Room and Harbour View Suite (separate lounge, abt 2x size or the harbor view room) respectively.....

I am of course on a mattress run with double stay promo and should hit Plat by mid February08......Will be checking out the SOP this weekend......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.