Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points (Darling Harbour), Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
And the other Starwood properties in Sydney have stellar service, so these expectations are quite modest compared to the service most guests get at the Westin Sydney or the Sheraton on the Park.

Much of the time the 4Pts Darling Harbour also does better, but it definitely has different staffing and aspirations than the Westin. Starwood has done a pretty good job in differentiating the brands at Sydney while having all the hotels be good in their own way.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ldsant
I'm confused . . . Suites are not automatic btw - the T&C is the next best room available.
The SPG T&Cs that I'm familiar with say:

"a. Upgrades to the best room at Participating Properties at time of check-in, based upon room availability for your entire stay, including Select Standard Suites. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. Best rooms are identified by each property. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. "

Although, I agree that the OP seems to be frustrated about things where it appears the hotel was trying to be accomodating.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:21 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by bigjim

Although, I agree that the OP seems to be frustrated about things where it appears the hotel was trying to be accomodating.
The hotel wasn't trying to be accomodating!! I was told that no rooms were available and the reservation agent instructed me to take a seat at the bar and wait for a couple hours. I will say it one more time: Imagine that you have just come off a 13 hours flight (little to no sleep), you e-mailed the hotel one month in advance that you would like a room (any room) upon arrival and upon arrival you are told there is absolutely no availability for ANY room. Then, you have to take it upon yourself to get back into line to talk to a different reservation agent who tells you that there is plenty of availability. Finally, the room you are given is filthy and small. One more thing: you are SPG Platinum, which should mean that you are at least entitled to a room if it is available when you check-in early and alert the hotel one month in advance. Does that not seem even a LITTLE ridiculous and if it doesn't, does it at least seem somewhat inconvenient given the circumstances? If it doesn't, then consider me spoiled.

Last edited by nymets; Oct 13, 2006 at 12:28 am
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:08 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
I'm surprised by your experience

I've stayed at the 4P 4 times in the last year. All 4 times I have checked in early with no problems (about 9 am)

Slightly OT but the first three times were as a GM and I was upgraded and the last time as a SPG gold and I was not

Will be able to try out the Sheraton next week and Westin in December

Jeff
Old Oct 14, 2006, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by nymets
Does that not seem even a LITTLE ridiculous and if it doesn't, does it at least seem somewhat inconvenient given the circumstances? If it doesn't, then consider me spoiled.
Consideration given.

I understand the frustration of getting inaccurate information from the first desk person. But, the fact that you travelled 13 hours doesn't change the fact that check-in time is a certain time. They get you a room, "any room" as you said, and then you complain because it isn't what you want.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
It seems to me the real problem is that this hotel has a poor computer system which is inadequate and, amongst other things, this resulted in a lack of realization that the OP was Platinum. The hotel then did the check-in as a non-status stay, thus the lack of upgrade when plenty of rooms were free. And taking over an hour to verify that he is Platinum, after the OP mentioned this to them. Overall I would rate the hotel behaviour at check-in as unacceptable. It is one thing to have no rooms available, and another to have rooms available but refuse to hand them out, just because it is not check-in time yet. And in SYD they are quite used to having early arrivals. A few hotels deliberately withhold rooms, with the aim of forcing people to book an extra night (the night before) on their next stay ... a by-product of SYD having a bit too much hotel capacity for much of the year ... up to now, Starwood was not one of the hotels that do this ridiculous practice. Westin still does not, but it rather looks like the 4Pts was caught red-handed at this game. It now goes on my blacklist, and the people working for me are now banned from staying at the 4Pts and must stay at the Westin instead (which is the best hotel in Sydney, in any case, so some hardship).
Old Oct 14, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I've stayed at various Starwood hotels in Sydney, and I always arrive early in the morning (before 9am). Each time I was able to check-in. I always note my early arrival in my reservations and I always hand over my card when I arrive. (I'm just a lowly gold.) Maybe that can get around the computer problem that #6 mentioned.

Specifically with the 4pts, each time I arrived early, I was 'upgraded' to a harbour-side room. I tend to book the cheapest rate. I've never encountered 'we have no room but really we just don't want to give it to you' problem at 4pts or any Starwood properties anywhere. (Knock on wood...)
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:42 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
4pts Darling Harbour

I am looking forward to another stay at the 4pts Darling Harbour.
I have enjoyed excellent service, and even an upgrade as a GOLD!
Further, of any, it is easiest walking distance to the restaurant scene around the harbour, and the monorail to connect to everything else.
Perhaps nothing fancy, but best locale, nice rooms, very fair priced, and excellent customer service...
I'd recommend it!
regards,
Christian
Old Dec 2, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Well, I decided to stay at the 4Points because I was able to book an award stay in a deluxe harbour view king room for 8500 points (vs 7000 for a standard non-view room). The rack rate is supposedly $620 for the March dates I booked...at least that's what I'll be charged if I cancel too late...so it seemed like a good use of the points & I won't have to worry about an upgrade or a small room. Will do a trip report in March.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:01 am
Suspended

4P SYD - Deluxe Harbour View

Originally Posted by lolosmama
I won't have to worry about an upgrade or a small room.
You will definitely have water view (though I feel the view is overated ) but I am not sure whether a "Deluxe" Harbour View is any larger than a "Standard" harbour view. I believe these rooms have a balcony and interms of size is quite similar to the standard rooms (maybe someone can confirm on this).

The larger rooms are usually described as "Maritime Studio" which is sort of a jr suite.

Last edited by mario33; Dec 3, 2006 at 1:09 am Reason: maritime studio
Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by mario33
You will definitely have water view (though I feel the view is overated ) but I am not sure whether a "Deluxe" Harbour View is any larger than a "Standard" harbour view. I believe these rooms have a balcony and interms of size is quite similar to the standard rooms (maybe someone can confirm on this).

The larger rooms are usually described as "Maritime Studio" which is sort of a jr suite.
You're right about the maritime studio...it's 50 sq meters vs the standard harbour view which is 28 & the deluxe harbour view which is 34. But the deluxe does have a balcony.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:29 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
As a Gold, I always book the cheapest rate available at the 4 Pts (i.e., standard room with city view), and have always been upgraded to a harbour view...
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Leumas
As a Gold, I always book the cheapest rate available at the 4 Pts (i.e., standard room with city view), and have always been upgraded to a harbour view...
/?

What to do....what to do
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:34 am

/?

What to do....what to do
For a delta of 1500 points, I would bite the bullet and rest easy knowing that there's no chance of getting stuck with a bad room. Of course, it all depends on how much the 1500 points are worth to you.

FWIW, when I stayed there as a Gold almost two years ago over NYE and booked an award stay in the cheapest room, I was upgraded to a harbour view room but without a balcony.

The view is certainly nothing that special, but it surely beats the parking structure you'd be looking at on the other side of the hotel.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:37 am
Suspended

But the deluxe does have a balcony.
A balcony would be nice but just be aware the balcony is directly above a freeway located between the hotel and Darling Harbour.

I have redeemed free weekend nights there for 3,000points per night when it was Cat2, and I am surprised some are now willing to spend up to 8,500points per night. When Starwood first took over the property from Nikko, it was only a Cat 1 hotel

Last edited by mario33; Dec 3, 2006 at 9:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.