Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I was there from 2 weeks ago and the menu's were as you describe them to be now, so happened prior to then.

I would agree with you on early wobbles on service as well!
Did they recover for you?

Our butler has been solid so far. The restaurant staff have been excellent as well, and food has been quite good.

EDIT - I made a comment about the beach towels, but just found them in the bathroom so they must have been there the whole time. I was looking for them outside like on day one and two, but maybe because of the potential rain they left them inside.

We're in one of the ocean facing (non-sunset) villas, next to the one we had last time, and while the pool is not as cold as on our last visit, it's still not ideal. The privacy is second to none, so if that's what you're after request 524 or 525. Just know that they get very little sun, and the pool is cooler (from what I can tell the pool portion of the deck gets no sun whatsoever). I had hoped they had something with a bit more sun while still being fairly private, but I guess they don't (unless you upgrade to a sunset overwater villa).

If anyone is looking for the new minibar menu, feel free to reach out and I can send it.

Last edited by tylerc; Nov 10, 2018 at 11:40 pm
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by tylerc

Our butler has been solid so far. The restaurant staff have been excellent as well, and food has been quite good.

EDIT - I made a comment about the beach towels, but just found them in the bathroom so they must have been there the whole time. I was looking for them outside like on day one and two, but maybe because of the potential rain they left them inside.

We're in one of the ocean facing (non-sunset) villas, next to the one we had last time, and while the pool is not as cold as on our last visit, it's still not ideal. The privacy is second to none, so if that's what you're after request 524 or 525. Just know that they get very little sun, and the pool is cooler (from what I can tell the pool portion of the deck gets no sun whatsoever). I had hoped they had something with a bit more sun while still being fairly private, but I guess they don't (unless you upgrade to a sunset overwater villa).

If anyone is looking for the new minibar menu, feel free to reach out and I can send it.
We had 523 and loved its view and privacy, there are plenty of places you can watch and enjoy the sunset from on the island so prefer the privacy for the rest of the day and evening, actually found the pool to be a good temperature and didnt bother us at all!

Our mistake was probably on arrival we didnt take control of dinner reservations, the butler had made us some and never occured twice a week they have buffets and no other restuarants open so its buffet or IRD, which is great unless you do IRD the night before a buffett as there is nothing in the room to tell you any sort of schedule! Once we got that information it was certainly better. Overall found the food to be very good just some issues on the wine would not be chilled or take a extra long time to arrive (30-40 minutes on one occasion and yes warm when it did)

The stay was unique in some ways but what I will say is when there were issues management dealt with them and were proactive on that! They have a new resort manager (Dominic) who is excellent and we left feeling like given 3-6 months he will have the issues we faced ironed out.

The breakfast is stunning and overall the food was (obviously not cheap) really good also, they just need to sort out the dining venues a bit better and use Whale Bar to its full potential to be what they aspire to be which is one of the very best resorts in the Maldives! On points this place is a bargain, would I pay the rates as things stand or go elsewhere in the Maldives, probably elsewhere, but given time that opinion might change!
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Bump. Anyone?
I stayed at both, albeit 7 years apart. The W was fine but I preferred the StR in every way EXCEPT the snorkelling. I'm not sure if the W reef may have degraded since as the region has been affected but 7 years ago the W was amazing for snorkelling. The StR was disappointing from off the bungalows. I saw a few octopi but nothing like the plush colour of the W. Even the excursion wasn't much to write home about. I suspect if I made more an effort w/ the dive centre i could have found better areas farther away, but I was pleased in every other way and frankly didn't bother and just relaxed the whole time.
onlysuites and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Sounds like a very nice plan. I would prefer the banquet at StR, but fireworks at R-C HK is a great idea too.

Aha. This is the reason, it’s simple economics. No hotel is ever going to publish discounted rates, including upsell upgrades, or open up award availability more than a year out. Especially during peak season. That’s why they have quoted you figures based on their peak season rack rates, i.e. the highest possible.

This does not mean that you will not get a lower offer closer to the date of travel.

My advice is to secure award availability first when it opens up. Then wait until closer in, and ask for an upsell offer.

It’s simply how things work. If you want something confirmed a year in advance, the hotel has no incentive to negotiate with you. They aren’t going to give up the potential opportunity to sell that sunset overwater for full price on what could be a sold out night. Two months before arrival, if the hotel determines they are not likely to sell that inventory at full price, then they have the incentive to make more enticing upsell offers to award guests.
Yes, debated doing NYE at the StR but ultimately decided HK would be a better new years for much cheaper. Also find MLE-DOH-HKG on QR with their new biz class for 40k AA to be a good and efficient way to string the two together.
Thanks for explaining the details!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:28 pm
kkl

Does anyone have the whale bar drinks menu and the crust ala carte menu?

Have asked the property a couple of times but they keep sending me the mini bites menu for whale bar and set menu for cargo
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by kkl

Have asked the property a couple of times but they keep sending me the mini bites menu for whale bar and set menu for cargo

There is no ala carte at cargo, only set menu. Send me a DM with your email and I will send the whale bar menu if I have it.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by kkl

Can't help you with the whale bar drinks menu but OMAAT posted the crust menu in their StR review: https://onemileatatime.com/st-regis-maldives-review/
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:52 am
kkl

There is no ala carte at cargo, only set menu. Send me a DM with your email and I will send the whale bar menu if I have it.
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
Can't help you with the whale bar drinks menu but OMAAT posted the crust menu in their StR review: https://onemileatatime.com/st-regis-maldives-review/

Thanks! Finally received the whale bar menu. Prices for the cocktails aren't as extreme as the food. 20-30usd each. Cheaper the. RC hk ozone bar

Was looking for crust menu! Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Pre upgraded

Flying over to the Maldives next week and upon checking my reservation, realised that I have been pre upgraded for free to the Beach Villa, from the base Garden Villa that I booked with points. As much as I appreciate the 2 category upgrade, I would have much preferred the Overwater Villa.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Jerrremy
Flying over to the Maldives next week and upon checking my reservation, realised that I have been pre upgraded for free to the Beach Villa, from the base Garden Villa that I booked with points. As much as I appreciate the 2 category upgrade, I would have much preferred the Overwater Villa.
Wow! A complimentary 2 category upgrade during high-ish season? Generous! The Beach Villas look like they're north facing?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:38 pm

Most likely overbooked the GVs or had a group booking and were one short. Curious to know what they'd do if you refused the upgrade.

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Wow! A complimentary 2 category upgrade during high-ish season?
October through May is high season in the Maldives.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
October through May is high season in the Maldives.
According to the resort map in the Wiki, it looks like the BVs are north facing whereas the GVs are south facing- which suggests that the GV's outdoor pools are more likely to stay warm. Also the GVs appear to have more privacy than the BVs.

While the BVs have over twice the square footage of the GVs, I think I'd stick to the GVs.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
According to the resort map in the Wiki, it looks like the BVs are north facing whereas the GVs are south facing- which suggests that the GV's outdoor pools are more likely to stay warm. Also the GVs appear to have more privacy than the BVs.

While the BVs have over twice the square footage of the GVs, I think I'd stick to the GVs.

While the GV's may have more privacy there are no views of the water. I would prefer a bit less privacy and a view of the water when I am in the Maldives.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:00 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Wow, for me it would be the ideal situation to ask about a further cash upgrade from BV to Sunset OWV. Those OWVs are so much more private than the regular OWVs and you are exposed to the sun from your terrace pretty much all day after 11am given that they are facing more or less west or south-west.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by escape4; Nov 13, 2018 at 8:58 pm
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:30 pm

Hey, thanks for sharing.

Could you pleaae elaborate on the little sun part?

if i want to sunbathe on the deck, would i be in the shade most of the day? Or would there still be plenty of sun?

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.