Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:23 am

Interesting as that coincides with a significant cost increase for food & beverage at the W Maldives as well. I wonder if it's related to significant uptick in award bookings?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Interesting as that coincides with a significant cost increase for food & beverage at the W Maldives as well. I wonder if it's related to significant uptick in award bookings?
Any idea when prices jumped at the W Maldives? I'm wondering if I have old menus with old prices. The ones they sent me are from Feb/June/July 2018 and are already off the charts!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:15 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by h8stn4d
Any idea when prices jumped at the W Maldives? I'm wondering if I have old menus with old prices. The ones they sent me are from Feb/June/July 2018 and are already off the charts!
I posted a recent W menu here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30348006-post358.html and someone in that thread noted they had seen prices go up a lot from a few months earlier.

If it is related to the increase in points bookings, hopefully it was at least only a one-time jump and there won't be similar inflation again and again...and the W does at least give 20% discount on F&B to Platinum members, unlike the St. Regis.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Have room service food menu prices increased as well or only drinks?

Last time we were here we ordered pretty well anything from the restaurants at the regular prices (I don't think most items we ate were on room service menu). From what I can see, the items on the room service menu are more expensive than the in-restaurant versions...
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:33 am
kkl

Has anyone done the night fishing and managed to catch something? If so, did they cook it up for you the next day?

Any private dining options on sandbar etc?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Has anyone stayed at both the W and the St Regis? Which one would you say is better? I know the St Regis costs much more but I have stayed there earlier this year so was contemplating trying out the W. Or should I stick to the STR? We will be a family of 4 with two kids under 12.
Bump. Anyone?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
OWV Upgrade Rates

Interesting DP: Was quoted $924/nt for OWV upgrade and $1540/nt for OWV Sunset upgrade for December 26-31, 2019. This seems high based on other numbers I've seen in this thread.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
Interesting DP: Was quoted $924/nt for OWV upgrade and $1540/nt for OWV Sunset upgrade for December 26-31, 2019. This seems high based on other numbers I've seen in this thread.
i think it mainly due to the dates........

December rates are crazy to start off with I think!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Bump. Anyone?

why not try the new Westin or JW Marriott??

i think W is more for young couple/honey moon party.

fhe other two all have dedicated kids club!!!!!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your dates are the peak of peak season. BTW, how did you book December 2019?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:03 am

Hello, smack in the middle of Xmas and NYE. You are departing on NYE? Seems like it would be better to stick around a couple more days and experience the countdown festivities at the resort.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:35 pm

same question as poster above, how did you manage to book December 2019 on points?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:35 pm

OWV Upgrade

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Hello, smack in the middle of Xmas and NYE. You are departing on NYE? Seems like it would be better to stick around a couple more days and experience the countdown festivities at the resort.
I completely understand that it's high season, just seemed a bit steep relative to what the actual rate differentials seem to be. I'm planning on staying the 25th-30th to avoid the Xmas eve/NYE banquets and so that we can spend NYE at the Ritz HK to enjoy the fireworks
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ashap

same question as poster above, how did you manage to book December 2019 on points?
Haven't yet booked, just wanted to get an idea of what the upgrade would cost so took a shot and reached out to see if there were set rates yet.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:49 pm

I completely understand that it's high season, just seemed a bit steep relative to what the actual rate differentials seem to be. I'm planning on staying the 25th-30th to avoid the Xmas eve/NYE banquets and so that we can spend NYE at the Ritz HK to enjoy the fireworks
Sounds like a very nice plan. I would prefer the banquet at StR, but fireworks at R-C HK is a great idea too.

Haven't yet booked, just wanted to get an idea of what the upgrade would cost so took a shot and reached out to see if there were set rates yet.
Aha. This is the reason, it’s simple economics. No hotel is ever going to publish discounted rates, including upsell upgrades, or open up award availability more than a year out. Especially during peak season. That’s why they have quoted you figures based on their peak season rack rates, i.e. the highest possible.

This does not mean that you will not get a lower offer closer to the date of travel.

My advice is to secure award availability first when it opens up. Then wait until closer in, and ask for an upsell offer.

It’s simply how things work. If you want something confirmed a year in advance, the hotel has no incentive to negotiate with you. They aren’t going to give up the potential opportunity to sell that sunset overwater for full price on what could be a sold out night. Two months before arrival, if the hotel determines they are not likely to sell that inventory at full price, then they have the incentive to make more enticing upsell offers to award guests.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.