Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Yeah, but they're asking for 4800 + $90 !
Originally Posted by Rock72
yeah 4800 + $90 is a lot. that's a good $250 value over there for C+P which is high. i'd rather stay at the pulitzer...
4,800 points + $90 does seem a little high for this property but i just booked this rate for a one night stay in september....my flight gets in around midnight & i will be leaving for the hague early next morning so i basically need a place to get 5-6 hours of sleep....the cheapest pre-paid rate was €283 so compared to that i think 4,800 points & $90 is not too bad....
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
day rate

Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
At the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel we are running now a pilot with additional benefits for Gold members:
- one hour free internet per day
- a special package rate of 29 € for 24 hours of internet and full American breakfast (value 48 €)
- 250 additional SPG points if you take dinner at the restaurant

Regards

Kurt Renold
Area Manager Starwood Hotels NL
Hello,

I would like to book a room from 8am to 8pm. Can I do this online? Is there a way to use points or cash and points for this?

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I had a reservation at the Pulitzer but had to change my flight plans/dates which made my attempt a change to my reservation coming up with unavailability. As such, I turned to the airport Sheraton this weekend.

Any updates from anyone on this property? Would love to hear them.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I had a reservation at the Pulitzer but had to change my flight plans/dates which made my attempt a change to my reservation coming up with unavailability. As such, I turned to the airport Sheraton this weekend.

stayed here for a night about 8 months ago....pretty decent property for a one night stay....at the airport so very convenient from that point of view....lounge offerings were good....did not get an upgrade since the hotel was full but the room was nice enough....
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by yyznomad

It is the best airport property in AMS, but also by far the most expensive one. Depending on the length of your stay and your requirements, you might also consider the competition. Cheapest rate at the Sheraton should be around Euro 140 these days for a weekend stay..., which is nearly 100 Euro more than the four star competition close by.

You cannot beat the convenience, though.

Food in the lounge is good for a property in Europe, solid variety and at least some freshly prepared salads aside from the usual fried snacks lounge variety. You will also find some stores at the Schiphol Plaza that offer decent food to go options.

Rooms are a bit dark, especially on a cloudy day, but otherwise still good for a few more years before a major renovation is due, the TVs are from the first generation LCD 40-42 inch era, so SD and a bit slow, IIRC.

The staff has always been pleasant and very well trained, no issues whatsoever there over the last years. Suite upgrades happen, often into a junior suite ( no not knowif any other suites are in the pool )

The Gym is nice as well.

Basically, it is worth a certain premium, even over the Hilton which is 500+ metres down the walkway, so it is up to you what you are willing to pay.

For early morning departures, I always opt for the Sheraton. If time is of less importance, the Hilton can be a good alternative at 50-100 Euros below the Sheraton.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FD1971
You cannot beat the convenience, though.
Well you can beat the convenience with the Mercure which is actually inside the terminal, past security and immigration. Much cheaper too. But it isn't as nice as the Sheraton and doesn't have the excellent health club facilities that the Sheraton does, nor does it have a Club room.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thanks all for the updates.

I am always about convenience, even if I am paying for it (and usually, that's how it goes)... so this property it is! Will report back if I experience anything outside of what has been posted so far/recently.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 4:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Well you can beat the convenience with the Mercure which is actually inside the terminal, past security and immigration. Much cheaper too. But it isn't as nice as the Sheraton and doesn't have the excellent health club facilities that the Sheraton does, nor does it have a Club room.
Actually, it depends on your the departure gate, if it is more convenient. For Schengen flights leaving from the B gates, it is about the same distance plus immigration and an additional security check for certain parts of the airport.

The price difference is also not that huge anymore, however back in the days the hotel within the airport was available in the 60's while the Sheraton used to be in the high 100's.

Due to BTT for the Sheraton and a major renovation of the hotel, the price difference is not as substantial as it used to be.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, it depends on your the departure gate, if it is more convenient. For Schengen flights leaving from the B gates, it is about the same distance plus immigration and an additional security check for certain parts of the airport.
Yes there is an immigration check if you are flying Schengen, but only one security check and MUCH less of a walk. Do you know where the Sheraton is? And of course if you have a non-Schengen flight, your gate is probably only a minute or two from from the Mercure and no immigration check as you are airside.

The price difference is also not that huge anymore, however back in the days the hotel within the airport was available in the 60's while the Sheraton used to be in the high 100's.

Due to BTT for the Sheraton and a major renovation of the hotel, the price difference is not as substantial as it used to be.
Sorry, that is completely wrong. The price difference is huge. I just booked a date in the middle of August. Sheraton's best price is €239 plus tax. Flexible is €249, plus 14.94 in tax for a total of €263.94. The Mercure is €89, plus 5.34 in tax for a total of €94.34 on a flexible rate.

Like I said the Sheraton is a better hotel, but it is expensive and only the 2nd most convenient.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:31 am
Suspended

Yes there is an immigration check if you are flying Schengen, but only one security check and MUCH less of a walk. Do you know where the Sheraton is? And of course if you have a non-Schengen flight, your gate is probably only a minute or two from from the Mercure and no immigration check as you are airside.
Again, and as pointed out before, it depends on your departure gate. If there is one thing to avoid at Schiphol, it is the immigration, Privium helps, though. Therefore, it is def. not much less of a walk, if you leave from the B gates, for example ...

Sorry, that is completely wrong. The price difference is huge. I just booked a date in the middle of August. Sheraton's best price is €239 plus tax. Flexible is €249, plus 14.94 in tax for a total of €263.94. The Mercure is €89, plus 5.34 in tax for a total of €94.34 on a flexible rate.

Like I said the Sheraton is a better hotel, but it is expensive and only the 2nd most convenient.
Again, and as pointed out before, the difference is not as huge as it used to be. In the good old days, the Sheraton was one of the most expensive Sheraton properties in Europe with rates in the high 100's on weekends and 200's for weekdays. The Airport Hotel used to go for ~ 60 and charged KLM for using their showers

Since BTT and Starpicks have come around quite frequently, we are talking about rates as low as Euro 140 for the Sheraton, the Mercure is always priced around Euro 90. Hence, the difference is significantly lower as it used to be for many dates.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, and as pointed out before, it depends on your departure gate. If there is one thing to avoid at Schiphol, it is the immigration, Privium helps, though. Therefore, it is def. not much less of a walk, if you leave from the B gates, for example ...
I'm sure if you measured it, the walk would be about 400 meters longer from the Sheraton to the B gates. Maybe that's not a lot, but it is something. And of course if it is the E or F gates, then there's not much of a walk at all from the Mercure.

And I'd call a difference of €170 per night an awful lot. But maybe if you are rich it's nothing to worry about. Not everyone has Starpoints and C&P isn't available every night.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:47 am
Suspended

I'm sure if you measured it, the walk would be about 400 meters longer from the Sheraton to the B gates. Maybe that's not a lot, but it is something. And of course if it is the E or F gates, then there's not much of a walk at all from the Mercure.

And I'd call a difference of €170 per night an awful lot. But maybe if you are rich it's nothing to worry about. Not everyone has Starpoints and C&P isn't available every night.
We talked about convenience...and a major immigration checkpoint during certain times of the day is not really improving the scores on the Schiphol Convenience Meter. Therefore, and as pointed out two times before now, it depends on your departure gate whether a night at the Mercure or Sheraton turns out to be more convenient. If you leave from the F gates, we do not have to start discussing, a transfer to the Schengen gates and some * carriers leaving from the B gates is another ball game.

Nobody talked about Starpoints and/or C&P, but in the last couple of years, the Mercure has become more expensive, ( post renovation ) the Sheraton is still far more expensive, but offers Starpicks and BTT rates, so the difference on most days is lower than it used to be.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Just stayed at this property for a few nights during a business trip to Amsterdam (office was in the Amsterdam Zuid office district one train stop away). If you want to see Amsterdam there are better locations, obviously, but for a trip like this the Sheraton was pretty perfect, and also reasonably priced -- it seems that they give some significant discounts for multi-night stays.

Room: As a plat got a top-floor club-level room with no view, but I did not ask for an upgrade as they were graciously letting me check in at 7am so just having a room was pretty good. Room was in good condition, though the climate control would not get quite cool enough for my American tastes. Bathroom had a tub and a separate stand-up shower (though weirdly with no rack or anywhere to put toiletries other than on the floor in the shower). Never heard any aircraft noise at all throughout the stay.

Lounge: Small but nice, with an impressive breakfast selection (though most of my previous Sheraton lounge experience was in North America, so may not be the best comparison). Breakfast included pastries, cereals, breads, yogurt, cold cuts, scrambled eggs, baked beans, bacon and sausage. Evening presentation included a few rotating fried items, cheese, cold cuts and smoked fish, bread, and a sweet item. Mini stroopwafels at both services.

Other amenities: Gym was quite nice with a good selection of cardio machines, weight machines, and free weights. Room service was decent; not cheap but less expensive than many European capital center-city hotels (17EUR for a burger and fries). Restaurant on second level is similar.

Location: As others have mentioned, very convenient to the terminal, and also to the train station located below the terminal, which makes this a potentially good location if you are going somewhere near another train station, as I was.

A couple of minor complaints: My "Make a Green Choice" request was ignored one day that I put out the door hangar, though this hotel makes Making a Green Choice a harder choice than most due to the package of full-size stroopwafels provided each day that the room gets made up (at least on the club level). The express check-out form offers a service where they bill you in your home currency rather than Euros, and charges a 3% fee for the privilege--a horrible deal compared to any credit card forex fee I'm aware of. (And yet as far as I can tell when calculating how many Starpoints I earned for the stay it seems they used an exchange rate in their favor; even after taking off anything that might plausibly be ineligible for points earning my earned total seems to come up short.)

But on the whole, satisfied with the stay and would do the same again under similar circumstances (though not for a tourist visit to Amsterdam, of course). I would definitely ask for an airport view room next time, as the tarmac views from the outside rooms are awesome for plane-spotting, whereas the atrium rooms can see nothing.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:38 pm

great plat recognition with suite upgrade, frontdesk also called to make sure I had everything. great location and nice breakfast in the lounge
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:57 pm

I'm currently at Sheraton Schipol on C&P. Upon checkin, the front desk drone told me that she couldn't accept my $110 USD in cash (the money potion of the 6000 points + $110 USD rate) and instead had to convert them to Euros, which would obviously be somewhat more expensive for me when factoring in the hotel's mysterious currency conversion algorithm.

Should I be able to pay at checkout with $110 USD that I brought with me, or do I need to psyche up (or down, actually) to have to pay the $110 + some hotel-favoring Euro conversion fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.