Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:59 am

I find this place to rather austere: the rooms are large but very dull...little colour, rather stark. The public areas are a bit better.
I plan to try the Renaissance for my next stay. I note you reviewed it recently on your site. The shuttle is a bit of a pain but the hotel itself sounds more appealing, even in the absence of a lounge.

Originally Posted by Steve_19
We had a brief one night stay at the Sheraton in early October. Since we had a 7:30am departure the next day we decided to stay close to the airport and not have to bother with a hotel shuttle or taxi in the morning.

The hotel location is good, literally steps from the airport. Also the airport concourse has numerous options for food. In general the hotel was so-so. We were given a room on the executive floor but besides being on the floor itself, it was an ordinary room. The room (and property) could also use a refresh in some places - the room was showing it's age with a lot of dings. However this was not such a big issue.

I was surprised to find the club lounge not as great as others have commented. Selection of beer was limited to just one and the other drinks and snacks were not too plentiful. Maybe we just came on the wrong night, but the main warm dishes were a few processed meats which reminded me of something from my school cafeteria days. We ended up going to the airport to find some other food options.

A few pictures from our trip: https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...airport-hotel/
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:06 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
The shuttle is a bit of a pain, I agree. But the Renaissance is nicer then the Sheraton and feels like it has been updated recently.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
I was surprised to find the club lounge not as great as others have commented. Selection of beer was limited to just one and the other drinks and snacks were not too plentiful. Maybe we just came on the wrong night, but the main warm dishes were a few processed meats which reminded me of something from my school cafeteria days. We ended up going to the airport to find some other food options.
While not outstanding, the spread in the club lounge doesn't seem that far off from what they had at Renaissance Amsterdam (the one in central Amsterdam) when I stayed there this fall -- some cold salads, meats, and cheeses and a couple hot hors d'oeuvres that were about on par with Febo.

I hope it's not a trend that the hotels in the area feel they can get by with less in the lounges without losing business.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by twa777
While not outstanding, the spread in the club lounge doesn't seem that far off from what they had at Renaissance Amsterdam (the one in central Amsterdam) when I stayed there this fall -- some cold salads, meats, and cheeses and a couple hot hors d'oeuvres that were about on par with Febo.

I hope it's not a trend that the hotels in the area feel they can get by with less in the lounges without losing business.
Maybe it is also a matter of presentation, but the Renaissance Amsterdam's spread was much more appealing to us when we visited. Also we were able to identify all of the food items - no mystery meat

https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...nce-amsterdam/
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Maybe it is also a matter of presentation, but the Renaissance Amsterdam's spread was much more appealing to us when we visited. Also we were able to identify all of the food items - no mystery meat

https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...nce-amsterdam/
And I thought the opposite. I found the lounge offerings much more appealing at the Sheraton than the Renaissance. If I had to choose, this is how I would rank them:

1) Marriott
2) Sheraton
3) Renaissance
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
And I thought the opposite. I found the lounge offerings much more appealing at the Sheraton than the Renaissance. If I had to choose, this is how I would rank them:

1) Marriott
2) Sheraton
3) Renaissance
Of course it is a matter of opinion. But I have to ask, did they have the same meat dish I had when you were at the Sheraton? Hopefully that is not the norm and just a bad day.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Of course it is a matter of opinion. But I have to ask, did they have the same meat dish I had when you were at the Sheraton? Hopefully that is not the norm and just a bad day.
I’m a vegetarian.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I’m a vegetarian.
I am not, but considered it after that day
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:31 pm

I had two stays at the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport this month, and overall I was quite pleased with both stays. My first stay was just one night, but I got upgraded to a Junior Suite with a separate living room. For just one person, that was enough room that I was afraid I was going to lose things. The second stay was four nights, and I was at least upgraded to a Club Level room (for what's that's worth) but with a nice view of the airport that I had requested. On both stays, my room was ready by 11am when I got in from my overnight flight.

The rooms do have a color palette that's silver plus six shades of gray, but everything seemed pretty modern and it great shape. The bathrooms have both a tub and a shower, though the shower is cozy and it's easy to shower half the room if you're not careful with the shower heads and controls.

I found the food options in the lounge to be quite good in the evening, with two hot hors d'oeuvres, several types of cold sandwiches, and a number of cold salads -- plus soft drinks, beer, and wine. I'm more than happy drinking the prosecco (also out at breakfast time ) so I didn't pay much attention to the beer selection.

I only had one quick breakfast in the lounge, as the other days I had more time and as a Titanium they offered me complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. I thought the breakfast buffet with omelette bar in the restaurant was great, with quite an expansive selection of hot foods, fruit, breads, cereals, salads, etc. -- even fresh honey you could scrape off the comb. With so many choices it was a struggle to control my impulses and not over eat.

My biggest knock is that they decided to omit having coffee and tea service in the room and instead have a fancy central coffee machine near the elevators on each floor. I'm sure it could create better coffee than instant made with hot water that's common in many European hotels. However, I'm a tea drinker and I really need my first cup before I'm ready to walk down the hall. Fortunately the rooms have refrigerators so I could pick up cold caffeinated beverages to have ready in the room from the grocery store in the airport train station.

I definitely missed being able to walk out the door and have central Amsterdam at my doorstep, but it was so nice to just walk across the bridge with my luggage and not have to drag it onto a bus or train or taxi. For a trip like this one where I didn't have much time for sightseeing anyway, it really worked out well.
yyzflyer and unclepants like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Anyone know how flexible they are here when requesting late checkout? I know conference hotels etc. dont have to do this but i want to book this hotel but only if i can get a 2/3PM checkout on the day. What would be the best way to guarentee it in advance? Book it first then e-mail them or call them first before booking?
Or would one think it shouldn't be a issue when requesting in at check-in?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:30 pm

The Sheraton Amsterdam Airport is currently undergoing a major renovation, including the rooms, lobby, and lounge. I stayed in one of their new rooms last week and it looked great -- definitely a much more modern than before. The room no longer had a desk, but it had gained a comfortable corner sofa and a movable table that served as a reasonable proxy for a desk. The room also had a massive television, a very comfortable bed, lots of easily accessible ports and plugs, and a nicely updated bathroom with a spacious shower. It did seem like some cabinetry hadn't been installed yet, as the mini-refrigerator was just sitting bare in the room, looking for a place to be. Overall, the update looks to be in-line with the new new Sheraton brand vision, and if this is the future of the brand then I think I'm going to be a fan

A few notes on the renovation work:
  • I was there for about 24 hours on a weekday and didn't hear any noise from the work, though I think they were working in the other wing of the building
  • The lobby is currently closed, which means the check-in desk has moved downstairs and the convenient access from the bridge to the airport train station isn't available for use. If you happen to arrive at that main doorway, they do provide a clear path to find an available entry to the hotel. However, the shorter route is to just exit out the front of the station and walk across the street.
  • The lounge is also closed as part of the renovations. However, elite Bonvoy guests are given a pass that provides access to the lounge for soft drinks as well as evening wine, beer, and appetizers (my flight got in late so I missed these) and also the full breakfast buffet in the restaurant in the morning.
Service while I was there was excellent, as it has been before.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Quick update and a warning:

- Reception is open again with new desks - old area in Reception is undergoing construction.
- Lounge remains closed with alternative of drinks from the bar, small bites in the evening and breakfast in the restaurant but see below for COVID restrictions on the latter.

If you don't have an EU COVID passport you won't be able to eat in the restaurant unless you can show a vaccination certificate for a test in the last 24 hours. Dutch Law. The UK NHS Pass does NOT work.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
You can quickly get an EU pass from France.
Download the French TousAntiCovid app and upload both your vaccine certificates (scan the QR codes) and it will be accepted. You then just show the French EU app badge.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:31 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Markie
If you don't have an EU COVID passport you won't be able to eat in the restaurant unless you can show a vaccination certificate for a test in the last 24 hours. Dutch Law. The UK NHS Pass does NOT work.
Interesting -- paper CDC card from the US worked both in the Hilton AMS lobby/restaurant as well as at at least one restaurant out in the city for me recently. But obviously YMMV.

Last edited by bgriff; Oct 24, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Old Oct 24, 2021, 4:41 pm

I stayed here about two weeks ago. The CDC card worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.