Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:09 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
I'm currently at Sheraton Schipol on C&P. Upon checkin, the front desk drone told me that she couldn't accept my $110 USD in cash (the money potion of the 6000 points + $110 USD rate) and instead had to convert them to Euros, which would obviously be somewhat more expensive for me when factoring in the hotel's mysterious currency conversion algorithm.

Should I be able to pay at checkout with $110 USD that I brought with me, or do I need to psyche up (or down, actually) to have to pay the $110 + some hotel-favoring Euro conversion fee?
I think the hotel is well within their rights here -- the T&C on the booking page state:
For non-US hotels, rates confirmed in USD may be converted to local currency by the hotel at your time of stay, based on the exchange rate used by the hotel and are subject to exchange rate fluctuations. Credit card charges are subject to additional currency conversions by banks or credit card companies, which are not within the hotel's control and may impact the amount charged to your credit card. Please contact the hotel if you have any questions.
Furthermore there are taxes on the $110 so your $110 isn't enough money anyway.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by colerc
I think the hotel is well within their rights here -- the T&C on the booking page state:
For non-US hotels, rates confirmed in USD may be converted to local currency by the hotel at your time of stay, based on the exchange rate used by the hotel and are subject to exchange rate fluctuations. Credit card charges are subject to additional currency conversions by banks or credit card companies, which are not within the hotel's control and may impact the amount charged to your credit card. Please contact the hotel if you have any questions.
Furthermore there are taxes on the $110 so your $110 isn't enough money anyway.
This is standard practice for C&P, hotels always convert to local currency in my experience.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Should I be able to pay at checkout with $110 USD that I brought with me, or do I need to psyche up (or down, actually) to have to pay the $110 + some hotel-favoring Euro conversion fee?
Would you expect US hotels to take Euros? Or any of a hundred other currencies? The best thing to do is use an ATM to get Euros and pay with that. Or use a credit card that doesn't have forex fees.

I was just as this hotel last week and had another good stay. The club is just as good as ever in all areas except the beer and wine quality is quite poor now.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Would you expect US hotels to take Euros? Or any of a hundred other currencies? The best thing to do is use an ATM to get Euros and pay with that. Or use a credit card that doesn't have forex fees.

I was just as this hotel last week and had another good stay. The club is just as good as ever in all areas except the beer and wine quality is quite poor now.
Hotels worldwide in many locations convert rates from US$ or Euros to local currencies at checkout. Generally speaking the conversion is done at a reasonably fair rate. Has the OP never travelled beyond the US before?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:15 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Well, to be fair, I think DJMeatBall was complaining more that the hotel would use a bad rate in calculating the $110USD->Amount to be charged in Euros conversion, not so much that his credit card might have additional fees (though possibly that too). Which is a fair complaint but unfortunately it's just part of the package on C&P rates outside the US. And while I get your point about US hotels not taking Euros, it is also the case that you are highly unlikely to be quoted any US hotel stay price in Euros as part of a rate like this.

Perhaps if the rate which you are charged looks truly outrageous you can try complaining to Starwood corporate, though I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

As I noted in a previous post, this hotel does generously offer to charge you in your home currency and save you the credit card fees ... but charges you 3% for the privilege. Perhaps they would make you a similar deal here. Bottom line is you're probably going to pay up either way.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Hotels worldwide in many locations convert rates from US$ or Euros to local currencies at checkout. Generally speaking the conversion is done at a reasonably fair rate. Has the OP never travelled beyond the US before?
I've traveled all over the world and I'm quite sure I've never seen a reasonably fair rate of conversion at hotels. Hence my suggestion to use an ATM.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:27 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

I've traveled all over the world and I'm quite sure I've never seen a reasonably fair rate of conversion at hotels. Hence my suggestion to use an ATM.
But the ATM doesn't solve the problem that the hotel gets to decide how many Euros are equal to 110 USD.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure what you meant, I meant in the conversion on the invoice from the original terms of booking to the local currency not in using cash notes.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure what you meant, I meant in the conversion on the invoice from the original terms of booking to the local currency not in using cash notes.
Same thing. They don't use the bank rate.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colerc
But the ATM doesn't solve the problem that the hotel gets to decide how many Euros are equal to 110 USD.
Yeah, but it's just cleaner in that you can give them the exact amount, rather than effectively changing a higher amount in dollars and getting change back in Euros.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same thing. They don't use the bank rate.
Never seen massively egregious conversion rates myself. I tend to look at this closely and the differential is typically a fraction of a standard credit card loading.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:53 pm

Wow, I didn't mean to start a $@$#-storm of comments on this master thread. Of course I go beyond the U.S. a few times per year, it's just that this is the first time I've actually been able to properly score (for me, a seemingly rare) C+P rate on an International property and I had the (apparently mistaken) impression I could just give them USD cash or the exact amount of travellers cheques and be done with it, versus having to deal with whatever their conversion fees are. I'll suck it up and do the Euro thing when I check out.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The C+P amount at the Sheraton Schiphol should be inclusive of the VAT, but exclude the Amsterdam City Tax for overnight stays, which is 5.5% now.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by FD1971
The C+P amount at the Sheraton Schiphol should be inclusive of the VAT, but exclude the Amsterdam City Tax for overnight stays, which is 5.5% now.
To be precise, my C+P receipt from Sheraton Schipol was 80.97 € (I guess their equivalent of 110 USD), plus VAT of 6% (4.86 €, i.e. not inclusive), and City Tax (4.59).
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Offered paid upgrade to club room (bonus 1500 starwood points)

I apologize if this was documented already. I have not seen it in this thread. I am Gold and booked a 1 night award stay in October. In an email following the standard confirmation email, I received the following offer:

Welcome Starwood Preferred Guest® Gold member

Want to join our club? Upgrade to a Club room for just €60 a night.

Our Club Level rooms offer extra space allowing you to work more effectively, entertain new friends, or just enjoy a well-earned rest at the end of another packed day.

Club members also wake to complimentary breakfast, snacks and beverages throughout the day, and high-speed Internet access in their room and the Club lounge. Life is better in the club.

Upgrade now and receive 1500 bonus Starpoints® plus all this:

Access to the Club Lounge with free Tea, coffee, snacks and drinks throughout the day
Complimentary Breakfast
Complimentary Wifi in the Club Lounge

To secure your upgrade, all you have to do is fill in the form on the right, and we'll amend your reservation for you.
This offer is only available online so be sure to book your benefit today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.