Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reservations: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel AMS, Netherlands [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by stylo4444
I'll be staying at this hotel for a night later this month. I was strongly considering staying at a hotel in the heart of Amsterdam but this location seems convenient considering I have to catch a morning flight. This will be my second international Sheraton in the SPG property list, the other being the Sheraton Towers in Singapore which was fairly nice. I've always found that international Sheraton's tend to be much better in terms of overall quality and service from Sheraton's in the U.S. so I'm very much looking forward to this stay and providing a review upon my return.
How was your stay? I have a reservation there next week and was wondering if SPG Gold members get access to the lounge.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Another great stay here the week before. As many times before, I was upgraded to a suite facing the airport. Since my last stay they have done some renovations making the room feel a bit more contemporary without looking cheap or out of place. (Think the decor of the lounge since the remodel). Flat screen tv's in both the bedroom and living room.

As usual, there was a bottle of Evian and San Pellegrino complements of the hotel as well as a stroopwafel.

They also added a coffee/tea machine with 'to go' cups near the elevator of the Executive Floor.

Lounge same as always; very good.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Another great stay here the week before. As many times before, I was upgraded to a suite facing the airport. Since my last stay they have done some renovations making the room feel a bit more contemporary without looking cheap or out of place. (Think the decor of the lounge since the remodel). Flat screen tv's in both the bedroom and living room.

As usual, there was a bottle of Evian and San Pellegrino complements of the hotel as well as a stroopwafel.

They also added a coffee/tea machine with 'to go' cups near the elevator of the Executive Floor.

Lounge same as always; very good.
Never had a suite at this property in 5 stays to date as a Plat.

Likewise never had the pellegrino/evian comp either only a dodgy small bottle of water.

Lounge is no great shakes. It is OK but nothing exceptional, OK snacks and fair wine selection but not a place where you would want to spend lots of time.

Breakfast is OK but expect extremely slow and surly service if you have the temerity to arrive as the restaurant opens (perhaps as is often the case for the Mrs and I, because you are taking an early morning flight ex AMS).

As airport hotels go this property is about 20 years behind the Sheraton Skyline Heathrow, which is my benchmark for Airport properties worldwide. I have never had a suite upgrade at the Skyline either in around 40 stays but I have paid for a suite myself 2 or 3 times.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've had that suite at the end of the hallway on over 90% of my stays. It's pretty rare that I don't get one of these. Only when the hotel is completely full and I check in late.

As for LHR, never at the Sheraton but often at the Skyline.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood Area Manager the Netherlands

Smile

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Never had a suite at this property in 5 stays to date as a Plat.

Likewise never had the pellegrino/evian comp either only a dodgy small bottle of water.

Lounge is no great shakes. It is OK but nothing exceptional, OK snacks and fair wine selection but not a place where you would want to spend lots of time.

Breakfast is OK but expect extremely slow and surly service if you have the temerity to arrive as the restaurant opens (perhaps as is often the case for the Mrs and I, because you are taking an early morning flight ex AMS).

As airport hotels go this property is about 20 years behind the Sheraton Skyline Heathrow, which is my benchmark for Airport properties worldwide. I have never had a suite upgrade at the Skyline either in around 40 stays but I have paid for a suite myself 2 or 3 times.
Send me a PM when you'll come to Amsterdam the next time. We really try to upgrade Platinums whenever possible and I would like to make sure that you'll be able to enjoy one of our suites!

Have a nice weekend

Kurt Renold
Area Manager Starwood Hotels The Netherlands
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
Send me a PM when you'll come to Amsterdam the next time. We really try to upgrade Platinums whenever possible and I would like to make sure that you'll be able to enjoy one of our suites!

Have a nice weekend

Kurt Renold
Mr. Renold is in a tough position being in charge of both the Pulitzer and the Sheraton AMS.

Very good Platinum recognition and almost always a suite for me and several colleagues at the Sheraton AMS, very solid lounge ( staff used to check regularly, if dishes need to be replaced or refilled ) and really good value for money. Clearly, a better hotel in comparison to the Hilton down the 'walkway' so maybe not the best airport hotel on the planet, but a very very solid one.

The Pulitzer is a different story, though, and one often leaves the property with the impression that the value for money and/or status recognition could have been (far) better. A little more consistency of some staff members could not hurt either, I have experienced, witnessed and read everything from world class service to an attitude normally found at the Travelodge Odessa, TX...

Some rooms should not be sold at all ( maybe as a walk in closet attached to a suite, but not as a room ) and a rebranding ( back to the roots ) to a Sheraton would probably match the actual performance more than the "Luxury Collection' branding currently does.

Classic case of sky high expectations by many guests that the hotel is not able to fulfill regularly.

Although, one has to state that the recent Euro 175,- sale is a solid value for this location in Amsterdam.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Compared to Sheraton lounges in the USA, it's great shakes.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
The FAM's seem to enjoy it and hang out there a lot.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam

Have a nice weekend

Kurt Renold
I'm only a measly SPG Gold (Gasp! how dare me trying to talk to anyone high up the ranks!) and i'm debating between the Pulitzer or the airport hotel (more to Pulitzer cuz of the C+P option). Should I be expecting anything as a SPG Gold?

I suppose anyone besides Mr Renold can answer this as well
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:48 am
Company Representative - Starwood Area Manager the Netherlands

Originally Posted by kaka
I'm only a measly SPG Gold (Gasp! how dare me trying to talk to anyone high up the ranks!) and i'm debating between the Pulitzer or the airport hotel (more to Pulitzer cuz of the C+P option). Should I be expecting anything as a SPG Gold?

I suppose anyone besides Mr Renold can answer this as well
At the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel we are running now a pilot with additional benefits for Gold members:
- one hour free internet per day
- a special package rate of 29 € for 24 hours of internet and full American breakfast (value 48 €)
- 250 additional SPG points if you take dinner at the restaurant

Regards

Kurt Renold
Area Manager Starwood Hotels NL
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Air France, Lufthansa, Continental Air
What a great airport property!

Upgraded to suite 756. My little boy loved the views of the airport/airplanes.
The suite was clean and quiet. All the staff we encountered were very nice. Great free wifi and breakfast for plats. Club lounge was nice with lots of tempting treats and drinks.
This is a great airport location and I will gladly stay here again.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Great treatment

Just completed a stay at this past weekend. The service and treatment of this Plat was excellent. I arrived at 8am before an early meeting and without asking was offered access to the fitness center and lounge for a shower and breakfast. ^ I was upgraded to a top floor room but didn't get upgraded to a suite. Considering there was a huge conference in town, I wasn't expecting anything. Front desk staff was very helpful in explaining the train system and offering advice on activities downtown. The hotel & team enhanced my stay and at the end of the day that is the mark of a great property. Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always had a positive experience to date at this property up to my last trip. I have never been upgraded as a Plat beyond a "Club Room" which I assume is a normal room with the automatic entitlement to Lounge I get as a Plat anyway.

I last stayed here almost a month ago and as my stay coincided with an important Rugby World Cup fixture I took up the offer of a suite upgrade for €100++ in the pre arrival email, so that I would be able to watch the Rugby in comfort in a living room rather than waking up the Mrs early with TV noise. As part of this deal I should have received 2000 bonus SPG points.

I was somewhat disappointed with the suite layout as it wasn't much larger than the rooms I normally find myself in at this property, being long and narrow rather than square. However it did have 2 rooms so a deal is a deal it also included breakfast (which I should have had anyway as a Plat in either the lounge or restaurant, from prior experience of the property) but I had no benefit from this as there was no credit for the room service breakfast that we had.

After the stay I had no sign of the 2k bonus points promised. A follow up with Plat Concierge told me that the situation would be rectified within a week, 2 weeks later it is still not rectified and I am told it will take a further week for the property to sort out.

As a result of all this I am planning to cancel 2 existing bookings at this property later this month and move them to the Hilton next door and to dispute the €100 with my credit card company since I did not get what I paid for (i.e. delivery of the 2k points which were an integral part of the deal). I will also be escalating the issue with Corporate Customer Services.

All in all I am rather disappointed with the behaviour of the property and the follow through from Plat Concierge and I will switch this property from being my default choice at AMS to my worst case option. It really should not be this difficult to get a simple Starpoints credit and I am becoming rather annoyed at the number of occasions I have had to jump through hoops this year simply to get the SPG credit I am entitled to
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
I have always had a positive experience to date at this property up to my last trip. I have never been upgraded as a Plat beyond a "Club Room" which I assume is a normal room with the automatic entitlement to Lounge I get as a Plat anyway.

I last stayed here almost a month ago and as my stay coincided with an important Rugby World Cup fixture I took up the offer of a suite upgrade for €100++ in the pre arrival email, so that I would be able to watch the Rugby in comfort in a living room rather than waking up the Mrs early with TV noise. As part of this deal I should have received 2000 bonus SPG points.

I was somewhat disappointed with the suite layout as it wasn't much larger than the rooms I normally find myself in at this property, being long and narrow rather than square. However it did have 2 rooms so a deal is a deal it also included breakfast (which I should have had anyway as a Plat in either the lounge or restaurant, from prior experience of the property) but I had no benefit from this as there was no credit for the room service breakfast that we had.

After the stay I had no sign of the 2k bonus points promised. A follow up with Plat Concierge told me that the situation would be rectified within a week, 2 weeks later it is still not rectified and I am told it will take a further week for the property to sort out.

As a result of all this I am planning to cancel 2 existing bookings at this property later this month and move them to the Hilton next door and to dispute the €100 with my credit card company since I did not get what I paid for (i.e. delivery of the 2k points which were an integral part of the deal). I will also be escalating the issue with Corporate Customer Services.

All in all I am rather disappointed with the behaviour of the property and the follow through from Plat Concierge and I will switch this property from being my default choice at AMS to my worst case option. It really should not be this difficult to get a simple Starpoints credit and I am becoming rather annoyed at the number of occasions I have had to jump through hoops this year simply to get the SPG credit I am entitled to
Considering the quality of the Hilton down the walkway, the Sheraton would need to perform far worse in order to make me switch.

SPG CS is a disgrace from time to time ( had some brilliant interactions via the chat though ) , so ymmv here.

Try to contact the GM for the two props in AMS, who is active here on FT. He seems to be a pro-active customer focused manager, who will make sure that the points post.

Final thought:

Is the offer ( 100 + 2k points ) for a suite actually a good one or way overpriced. Cannot make up my mind yet...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FD1971

Is the offer ( 100 + 2k points ) for a suite actually a good one or way overpriced. Cannot make up my mind yet...
Way overpriced in my view and something of the thin end of the wedge too in pushing a paid upgrade to a room type I should have a fair expectation of a complimentary upgrade to. There was a specific rationale for this particular stay however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.