Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by eastnortheast
Will you have platinum status when you travel? I recommend the JW, but others will just as vehemently say the Ren. Can't go wrong with either one.

Courtyard is an acceptable option - maybe a "star" below the JW and Ren, but sometimes the cost savings is worth it.
No, i will likely be losing my status since i no longer travel for business(though i feel like i saw that there may be a way to buy back status?). I do plan on booking with points and there isnt a huge difference. The 57 is 30k cheaper for the stay and the Ren and JW are the same price.

Of the 3, which has a better location?

ETA: actually, i just checked and apparently have lifetime gold status. My account still says platinum but i didnt have many stays last year so i assume i will get dropped down to gold.

Last edited by njxbean; Jan 26, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by njxbean
No, i will likely be losing my status since i no longer travel for business(though i feel like i saw that there may be a way to buy back status?). I do plan on booking with points and there isnt a huge difference. The 57 is 30k cheaper for the stay and the Ren and JW are the same price.

Of the 3, which has a better location?

ETA: actually, i just checked and apparently have lifetime gold status. My account still says platinum but i didnt have many stays last year so i assume i will get dropped down to gold.
Renaissance clearly better location. Walk to major shopping. BTS station right there. JW is almost that good. A bit longer walk to BTS. 57 is "down the road aways". But still walk to BTS.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:17 am

Ugh, what to do, what to do. Have two Cat 5's that I can use at 57, but the REN location is better. How long is the BTS ride from 57 to the temples/tourist sites? REN to sites?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Not very long. I would accept the ride for the ability to use the certs. Seems like a good deal for you.

Bruce
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Ugh, what to do, what to do. Have two Cat 5's that I can use at 57, but the REN location is better. How long is the BTS ride from 57 to the temples/tourist sites? REN to sites?
The distance is negligible. I've stayed at all three and as I've mentioned above, the best choice is whichever is cheapest when you are going. I just booked seven days at the Soi 57 property in March. It was the best deal. I'll monitor that. If it changes, I'll change hotels.

Each is an excellent hotel. The JW has the best CL, the Ren has the best location for first time tourists (except for the construction next door) and the FS has the best views and upgrades. The Ren and FS have excellent CLs, and there are recent reports that the JW CL may have lost some if its exceptional fantasticness. The staffs at all three are top notch. The restaurants at the JW and Ren might be a little better than at the CL, but, IMO, nothing beats street food in Bangkok. The workout facility at the FS is best.

I could go on and on spotlighting which hotel is slightly better than the other on each feature, but it would be impossible to ultimately declare one the best, or even one to hit your parameters the best. In most cities, there isn't a single choice as good as any of these three. Depending on how you look at it, we are lucky or cursed to have these three great choices in a single destination.

You are going to have an amazing trip. No matter which hotel you wind up at, you will leave thinking the other two couldn't possible be any better. You will think you made the right choice. Each offers easy access to public transportation (although the Ren is the only one that doesn't require walking a path that would be considered dangerous in the US.)

One last thing... The BTS train runs very frequently. It might be an additional ten minutes to get from the station near the Soi 57 property to the station near the Ren. Ten minutes a few times a day is worth using the certs, IMO.

The benefit of staying at the least expensive option is you will have more money left to spend on other things or more points available towards your next trip. Just stop agonizing over this. There is not right or wrong choice. Rather, there are three great choices.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:40 pm

Thanks CJ. Any idea on how long the construction by REN will be? Seems a lot of them in Asia have construction ongoing. HK has it going on as well.

And how safe is walk from station to 57? My wife has blonde hair that can cause problems at times. I assume we'd just want to take taxi's after dark. Definitely checking out Sirocco / Sky bar at sunset.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Time is not the factor on BTS. Trains run regularly. 57 to REN location is less than 10 minutes. The factor to me would be that the walk from REN to BTS is a minute or less and the walk from 57 to BTS is quite a bit longer. And in 100 degree temperature with 99% humidity, that can be a factor.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:15 pm

Thanks CJ. Any idea on how long the construction by REN will be? Seems a lot of them in Asia have construction ongoing. HK has it going on as well.

And how safe is walk from station to 57? My wife has blonde hair that can cause problems at times. I assume we'd just want to take taxi's after dark. Definitely checking out Sirocco / Sky bar at sunset.
My safety concern is limited to navigating a busy intersection. Unless I'm missing something that others might know, there's no crime issue.

If the BTS is running, it's usually the better and faster transportation choice over cabs.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:43 pm

Others have already commented on the BTS and safety issues. Just wanted to add that the Mariott Soi 57 has a nice rooftop bar. I dont think that Sirocco is that much better, so if you are staying at Marriott 57 and want something just an elevator ride away, that would fit the bill.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Each offers easy access to public transportation (although the Ren is the only one that doesn't require walking a path that would be considered dangerous in the US.)
So this comment had to do with traffic walking as opposed to walking through dangerous alleyways and that sort!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Safer than DFW, or any major US metroplex!!! Plenty of half naked beautiful western women seen walking around in Bangkok with no problem. But, of course, as in everywhere else use common sense caution and don't do anything you wouldn't do in your own hometown. And, modesty (be it in behaviour or clothing) is always advised. The walk between the hotel and Thong Lo BTS station is about 100 meters through Sukhumvit proper, which is a major thoroughfare. A 7-11 and many shops and restaurants on the side of the soi. Many photos of this short walk can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...7633998650183/

As he above recommended, there are several rooftop venues at the S57 and the sunset can be just as alluring!

Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by joeags
So this comment had to do with traffic walking as opposed to walking through dangerous alleyways and that sort!
Absolutely was directed towards traffic/walking.
  • FS Soi 57: Requires walking through an intersection that at no time has traffic stopped for you to cross. You do a half-cross thing, wait in the middle of the road and do another half-cross thing, usually dodging moving traffic on both legs. Once you do it a couple times, you'll get used to it. I don't think this is the intersection shown above, but you can see in the picture how people are standing on the street as traffic is coming. The traffic will not stop, rather, you have to allow space for it to whiz by you.
  • JW: You can turn right and take the longer walk to the BTS station to the east or you can take the shorter walk, which requires an adventure under a dirty overpass with a crumbling sidewalk and uneven curbs.
  • Ren: You walk through a pristine parking lot. The BTS entrance is three or four steps from the end of the parking lot. You can also walk through the building next door onto the covered SkyWalk, only having to be without roof cover for the few feet from the hotel to the building entrance. It's clean, covered and evenly paved.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: HY DIA, HI Gold, M Plat, SPG Gold, AC Plat
JW Marriott, FS Suk, and Gift Cards

I'm hoping someone has been in this same situation. I have a reservation coming up at the JW Marriott for (4) nights which both my wife and I are extremely excited about. However, I've become fascinated with the rooftop bar at the FS Suk Marriott and its rooftop bar. I've got a ton of Marriott Gift Cards (Picked up a bunch about 2 years back during some promotional stuff) and since most of my travel is for work, I never get to use them. So I was curious, has anyone tried to pay with the gift card at the Octave rooftop bar when not staying at the hotel? I thought it might be fun to grab drinks there one night and use the gift cards at the same time, but wasn't sure if that would even be possible.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
A bit of a dilemma for me here. Going to Bangkok with the GF in May. Right now we have a room at the GH with an applied DSU coming from me.

However she's a Marriott Plat and the FS Marriott is $252 less over the 3 days (factoring other costs - we're going to the Hyatt Hua Hin after so the transfer cost will be higher than leaving from the GH where they have the daily shuttle for 600 tbh a person) while the Renaissance and JW are $197 and $152 cheaper respectively.

Are we better off keeping the GH with the suite upgrade confirmed (I have since dropped back down to Plat so no Diamond treatment though the Suite does come with lounge access) or going with one of the 3 Marriott properties and using her Plat to get a potential upgrade and Plat treatment?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
A bit of a dilemma for me here. Going to Bangkok with the GF in May. Right now we have a room at the GH with an applied DSU coming from me.

However she's a Marriott Plat and the FS Marriott is $252 less over the 3 days (factoring other costs - we're going to the Hyatt Hua Hin after so the transfer cost will be higher than leaving from the GH where they have the daily shuttle for 600 tbh a person) while the Renaissance and JW are $197 and $152 cheaper respectively.

Are we better off keeping the GH with the suite upgrade confirmed (I have since dropped back down to Plat so no Diamond treatment though the Suite does come with lounge access) or going with one of the 3 Marriott properties and using her Plat to get a potential upgrade and Plat treatment?
In terms of upgrades, it appears that the Ren gives upgrades to what they call a junior suite, but is really a slightly bigger room. At the JW (and I am very familiar with that property), there is very little chance to be upgraded to a suite. Not sure about the chance of an upgrade at the FS Marriott. The Grand Hyatt is a very nice hotel and if you have a suite confirmed, that is definite plus. However, a couple of hundred extra dollars in your pocket may be enough to make you "put up" with a regular room in one of the other hotels. So, basically, I dont know. LOL If it were me, I would pocket the ~ $200 in savings and stay at one of the Marriott properties. All are very nice, and have great lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.