Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Triada Palm Springs, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Triada Palm Springs, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the really detailed trip report. Much appreciated. Lot of good info for folk to be aware of when staying there.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:31 pm

Awful experience

I stayed at Tridad and it was so bad I bailed after 1 night of a 5 night stay, checked into the Hyatt Downtown and OMG what a difference

Arrival

Valet sign for restaurant, but not clear where hotel check in was. It was the same place, but extremely confusing.

Check In

Arrived around noon. The front desk guy snapped "check in is at 4pm" and I had to ask if I could check in and leave my bags and return when the room was ready.
This seemed like a problem for the guy. Anyway, eventually I was handed a sheet with room details and three things to initial. I think one was rate, one was that I wouldn't smoke and the third was "$25 resort fee" - That included parking, internet and use of the fitness center.

I questioned it and was told it was mandatory, so I asked where on the hotel website was it mentioned and the guy said "It says there is parking fee of $25, and it is good deal as you get extra amenities"

I replied "But I don't have a car and as a platinum guest I get free wifi" so I am not going to sign that it is OK.

He replied "well I'm going to have to get permission from some manager to waive this mandatory fee."

Room

We were called back after 2 hours and told the room was ready. They offered no help with bags and gave vague directions to the room. We had to ask a housekeeper the way after we got lost.

I'd booked a King Casita Suite for 5 nights at a rate of about $300 a night. The room was not great. It was very sterile, had limited comfy seating, had an ADA bathroom (not requested) that meant water flooded the whole room on showering, there was a tiny amount of counter space for toiletries and no room for towels. The Shower head was cheap. The major issue was noise. THE tile floors throughout the property meant the cleaning carts made incredible noise. The guy next door checked in and I could hear his conversations. The connecting door had a large gap - I did put a towel down to block some noise.

The outside balcony was nice. The Kitchen area was a fully size kitchen and would have been useful if you wanted to cook.

Loud music was blaring in the outside area.

How do you relax??

Pools

Tiny pools, low quality chairs, no pool service experienced

Breakfast

I love a nice relaxing breakfast and this experience was so bad. Upon arrival we were told to sit anywhere. We had to ask for them to turn down the blaring tv which it appeared was set to be watched by the front desk staff. They had just one guy serving. Waited 15 minutes for him to show. Ordered coffee and it took another 10 minutes for coffee and menus to come. I had platinum breakfast coupon offering a free continental breakfast that was described as a fruit plate, muffins and drink.

The waiter came back, I asked if we could use the coupon as a discount for menu items (there were a couple of cold items like yogurt parfait on the menu but this request was refused).

Ordered eggs Benedict and the fruit plate/muffin and a refill of my coffee

The refill never came. While we were waiting another guest was clearly mad as he had ordered 2 coffees and been waiting for over 15 minutes. HE complained and the waiter said "Oh we ran out of coffee and it will take 5-6 minutes to brew another spot" There were 5 people at breakfast!! and they ran out of coffee!

He left mad 10 minutes later. My mistake was to not grab his coffee as mine never came.

Eventually the breakfast came. The Potatoes were not cooked and still raw. The English muffin on the eggs was saturated with water, no doubt from a poorly drained poached egg, that was over cooked and the ham slide was so thin it seemed to have only one side. It was inedible.

The fruit plate had melons and strawberries. THE melon was not ripe. THE muffin was like cardboard.

I told the waiter about my uncooked potatoes and he said" They are not uncooked they are fried and started to argue that raw potatoes were fine. I told him to just take them away and I was not going to pay for the benedict.

HE returned with the bill, made big fuss about how the eggs had been removed from the bill and upon review, he had charged me for part of the free continental breakfast.

I asked to speak to the manager and was told the restaurant manager would talk to me and come right out. He never did, but the front desk lady told me he had said to just comp the whole meal.

So I ended up with exactly what I was entitled to - A tasteless muffin, a cup of coffee and some unripe fruit.

I asked to speak to the general manager again and again was refused and told you can talk to me. So at that point I gave up, and called the Hyatt booked room and then checked out.

Fundamentally the issue was a complete lack of staff and those few they had had no concept of customer service. Stay here at your peril. Expect noisy rooms, poor food and lousy customer service and no ability to escalate any issue.

Last edited by SteveinA2; Feb 25, 2016 at 6:51 pm
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
What a horrible stay, start to finish. Good for you on walking out and cancelling the remainder of your stay!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I didn't have any noise issues but you're right about the tiles and luggage/carts.
Yes the 3 buildings are confusing if you don't know but they offered to take you to your room and you declined, right?
The "restaurant" just from looking seemed like a sad state of affairs. Was not all tempted to use it, so many good breakfast spots in PS.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
What a horrible stay, start to finish. Good for you on walking out and cancelling the remainder of your stay!
Vote with your wallet
Plus hopefully it helps others avoid this property
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:43 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Vote with your wallet
Plus hopefully it helps others avoid this property
I guess that gives me an incrementally better chance for an upgrade as I am happy to have a boutique hotel in one of the best parts of Palm Springs: in the Movie Colony contiguous to a nice residential area and a quarter of a mile from the playhouse and two Rewards Networks' restaurants.

My $123 rate on Sunday compared with a Homewood Suite and even with the $26 resort fee, named something else, it compared to the Palm Desert Embassy Suites: I'll take the Triada any day.

I did a quick rate check for a random future date and adding the resort fee to the Triada, and the parking fee to the Palm Springs Hilton, those two hotels are within a few bucks of each other. Despite the better breakfast at the Hilton, I prefer the small intimate Triada.

Upgraded to the kind of suite with a full kitchen that was mentioned upstream, I was sorry to only have a 14-hour stay. Maybe not mentioned was the patio off the kitchen door faced opposite from the front of the unit.

The pools, as mentioned, are small, so no lap swimming. But on the plus side this isn't the kind of place that attracts large families. Mostly couples, equally split, it seemed, between men/women and women/women and men/men. Staff were extremely friendly, which seemed to be picked up by the guests, and although it would have been a challenge to find the room I was practically walked to my door by the clerk.

I didn't valet park, just putting my car in a slot in the back and then later putting a parking slip on the dash.

Some would find the breakfast meagre. I am guessing that since there weren't enough guests to open the kitchen only a continental buffet was laid out self-service: fruit, juice, muffins are just what I want at 7 a.m., but YMMV. I didn't get a coupon and it appeared that, at least on this Sunday in March, everybody ate for free.

Other than the gym being a bit meagre as well, I cannot think of anything not to be liked about the Triada. Also, at check-in the clerk mentioned that Marriott is rehabbing another vintage hotel around the corner, and I'm looking forward to another small-style hotel in a place I cross over and over again for business.

Last edited by Jailer; Mar 22, 2016 at 9:59 am
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update & different viewpoint. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:58 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the update & different viewpoint. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
I hereby rescind my upthread positive review.

The points continue to fail to post, and the added effort to get stays to accrue takes this hotel out of my bi-monthly biz-trip Palm Springs hotel lottery. The desk manager did helpfully point out that it's not their problem, but a problem with the system. I resisted responding with a helpful comment of my own.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:34 am

ack... couple of negative reviews here. hopefully it's gotten better. anyone have any recent stays in the last 9 months?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I stayed in Jan 2017.

I also had a problem with nights credit and points not posting. Had to submit a claim at marriott.com and both points and nights finally did post.

I have stayed at a number of Autograph Collection hotels in the past. Generally, these tend to be very unique and interesting properties that we have really enjoyed. The ones that come to mind right away include: Boscolo Venezia in Venice, Palacio de Santa Paula in Granada (Spain), and the property in Taos, New Mexico (which I believe is no longer part of the Marriott chain). We loved those hotels.

This particular hotel does have some unique characteristics, but to be frank, it is just not quite up to the same level as other Autograph hotels I have stayed in. If heading to Palm Springs/Palm Desert, consider carefully if you would prefer staying in the Palm Springs area or the Palm Desert area. My wife and I are now more partial to Palm Desert for our stays.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Just needed to book 3 rooms for a Thurs-Mon for Mother's Day weekend. While the hotel was fine when I stayed there for a few nights last year I opted for Avalon instead. Nothing about the Triada made me have the urge to come back (small pool areas, bad breakfast) but the kitchenette is nice.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
I just completed a one night stay here. To be totally frank, I’m not sure I understand the above criticism. Maybe things have changed since the previous reviews?

To start, I didn’t find the valet situation confusing at all. If you’re coming in from the north, as most folks do, the valet stand is literally right in front of the building and you just u-turn into it. Not an issue.

Upon check in, I was given a map of the property and the layout of the three buildings and two pools was explained. I again did not find anything confusing, and finding my room in the Corazon casita was easy and painless.

This is was a points stay and my platinum premier status was recognized at the front desk. I was upgraded to a junior suite. No kitchen, but spacious. Nice bathroom with a separate tub and marble shower. Amenities by Beekman.

Breakfast is free for two - anything off the small menu - but you’re better off taking the 1000 points instead and walking across the street to Cheeky’s. Just get there before they open at 8 or you’ll be waiting. You can also take 1000 points in place of a $10 food/bev credit.

I heard no noise whatsoever through the night. Ask for a room in Corazon — it’s on the interior of the property, off the road, and the only casita not next to a pool.

All in all I find this property charming and would not hesitate to return. Heading down now to the Autograph property in Palm Desert.

Last edited by VisaW; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:00 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the recent trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:51 pm

This property is not what it was two years ago. In a bad way.

I really hate to do this. I've now stayed at this property twice now. The first time was probably 2 years ago and the stay was absolutely wonderful. I wanted to go back, so I did very recently.

I will preface this by saying that I know that things are different because of the pandemic, but I've traveled many times during the pandemic already, and this was just unacceptable. Especially for something that is at least a borderline luxury hotel where I paid $250 for 1 night. I arrived at the property around noon on my check in day, asked for an early check in which is normally 4pm. They said no they could not do that because the hotel was entirely full the night before, so I understood and accepted that, gave them my luggage, and went out on my early afternoon. I came back around 3 pm and they had a room ready. I asked for a late check-out because I am titanium, they could only give me 2pm... even though I know the hotel was not full for the following night after my check-out. Of course, on a hot desert day I wanted to hit the pool. Pool towels are kept outside in bins. They said that if the pool towel bins are empty to come to the lobby and get some there. The bins were empty in both pools so I asked the lobby for towels. Apparently the hotel had literally no towels for anyone. They said to go into your room and take your room towels out to the pool and they will be replenished. 1 towel on a pool chair isn't really as good as 2, but whatever. The pool bar was closed, the only place to get a drink was in the hotel restaurant. I ordered a margarita to take the pool... I don't think whoever made the drink knew how to make a margarita... At best it was a margarita minus the lime juice, like completely minus it. Anyways, I was at the pool for a couple hours and by the time I was done, they did replenish the room towels. So that's good.

I got home and looked at the folio, I just realized that they charged me for valet parking even though I selected self parking and parked myself. So there's another few dollars gone.

The one redeeming quality of the hotel is that your fellow guests are very nice, hospital, and welcoming. Despite that, it really pains me to say this, but I don't think I'll be back any time soon. Service was really really really lacking.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I stayed there several years ago. I was curious about trying a place in town instead of my usual Westin Mission Hills. The location was fantastic, walking distance to several things including Cheeky's restaurant, amazing breakfast. I was upgraded to a nice suite with a nice kitchen, the staff was very pleasant, but the room just seemed empty...almost unfinished. I know ... the word I'm looking for is sterile. The room was sterile and lifeless. Yes, this description is warm and fuzzy yet curiously accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.