Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...g-service-2621
Print Wikipost

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
That one's already on our list...even though tofu terrifies me. YOLO

Thanks!
I love the tofu skins with wasabi. YUM!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Had some of the best steak I've ever had at Otsuka, which is close to the Suiran.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone likes Star Wars and wants to see the temple on the 10 yen coin! It's not in Kyoto proper though but Uji (very close by).

Star Wars folding screen at the Byodo-in
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously those are great options. Yet we don't want to only hit Michelin restaurants. It's always nice for us to have a more casual or simple meal or two between fancier options.
Marbled wagyu steak with a glass of red served in an open Kyoto kitchen . Very quaint butcher shop transformed into a restaurant. Kyoto classy enough but not stifling like some of those 3* places.

Hafuu Honten

http://hafuu.com/sm_en/
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you are into beef, I highly recommend Miyoshi. They serve amazing beef omakase dinner over here. Whenever I hit kyoto, I will always try to get a reservation here.

https://s.tabelog.com/en/kyoto/A2601/A260301/26002222/

I like Hachikian for Oyako Don, simple comfort food. They have a branch in Takashimaya.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
So am looking to do a night or two here next year - I have a choice of $600, 15k starpoints + $275 or 30k starpoints a night. These book into Moderate rooms (looks like the smallest rooms), but I'm assuming (hoping?) I get upgraded as a Plat to something with an onsen. Whats my best bet?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:58 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by elleana
So am looking to do a night or two here next year - I have a choice of $600, 15k starpoints + $275 or 30k starpoints a night. These book into Moderate rooms (looks like the smallest rooms), but I'm assuming (hoping?) I get upgraded as a Plat to something with an onsen. Whats my best bet?
Pick the rate that’s best for you. The award night is a slightly smaller value for your 30K points than the C&P rate, but it should be about what’s more valuable to you—your cash or your points. There is no absolute right answer.

You shouldn’t assume you’ll be upgraded as a Plat at a hotel with only 39 rooms. Even with SNAs, as there are only 4 suites. The smallest room is 40 sq meters, or 430 sq feet, so even that’s pretty sizable. If you’re visiting at a low occupancy time, you’re more likely to get upgraded, perhaps. But it’s still such a small hotel that you shouldn’t expect that.

We will be here in May for 5 nights, so the 5th night free with award nights made that a no brainer for us.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Pick the rate that’s best for you. The award night is a slightly smaller value for your 30K points than the C&P rate, but it should be about what’s more valuable to you—your cash or your points. There is no absolute right answer.

You shouldn’t assume you’ll be upgraded as a Plat at a hotel with only 39 rooms. Even with SNAs, as there are only 4 suites. The smallest room is 40 sq meters, or 430 sq feet, so even that’s pretty sizable. If you’re visiting at a low occupancy time, you’re more likely to get upgraded, perhaps. But it’s still such a small hotel that you shouldn’t expect that.

We will be here in May for 5 nights, so the 5th night free with award nights made that a no brainer for us.
In the end I booked a deluxe room - cheapest room with a private onsen, Didn't get upgraded but was a very nice room and had a very, very nice time. Was slightly worried that the Arashimaya area would have been a bit too quiet but in the end did not have to worry. Nice walk down the main street through the tourist area, through the bamboo forest, in the park, and the train was very convenient to get out.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
A very comprehensive review of the Suiran was posted over on the Luxury Hotels forum and may interest readers here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post29788671
Old May 27, 2018, 1:37 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by callmedtop
A very comprehensive review of the Suiran was posted over on the Luxury Hotels forum and may interest readers here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post29788671
@bhrubin ‘s review has Totally made me want to go back !
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:19 am

I have two nights confirmed here later this month. Two questions:
1.) SPG Platinums enjoy complimentary breakfast at this hotel, WITHOUT having to request "breakfast" as the Platinum amenity?
2.) Does this hotel guarantee 4pm late checkout, or is it subject to availability? Is the Suiran classified as a "resort"?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:45 am

Hmm.. Staying here in September. I wonder if how the merger with Marriott will impact things? I'm gold with Marriott, which I assume will become plat after the merger. Does that entitle me to comp breakfast?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:13 pm

Lovely Property, Amazing Staff

100 night platinum. Used points for 5 night stay.

I had stayed 2 nights back in 2016 and really enjoyed it. I wanted to go back.

I love this place. It is very zen. The location in Arashiyama is lovely.

I don't recommend August because it is hotter than you know what in Kyoto.

Our room was lovely - we had a deluxe room with private garden and onsen.

Breakfast was included because of my status. Also lovely.

There is a daily happy hour - I think it is for all guests but don't quote me - you can pick wine or champagne and get little treats to eat. All while looking out at the river and mountains.

This isn't in central kyoto but I love that you can walk 10minutes to the bamboo forest. Easy access to see it without the tourist hoards.

We did the train in/out of Kyoto center one day and it wasn't a big deal. Pretty easy.

They have a fitness center but it has 2 bikes only. Very small.

The staff are wonderful. Serivce is above average in Japan anyways, but the staff at the Suiran just took it up another notch. So kind, pleasant, polite. Just fabulous.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
It’s properties like this one that will keep me crawling back to Marriott. It’s simply stunning.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:01 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CLEguy
It’s properties like this one that will keep me crawling back to Marriott. It’s simply stunning.
+1000

We loved Suiran so much even after our 5 nights in May; it blew us away. We also had 2 nights afterward at the also quite amazing Ritz-Carlton Kyoto, but we still preferred the intimacy, the hybrid ryokan-hotel authenticity, and Arashiyama location of Suiran.

I’m already salivating at the prospect of getting back sometime in the coming years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.