Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...g-service-2621
Print Wikipost

Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Managed to find a single night award open so I changed a two night stay at RC Kyoto using 60k certs to one night at RC and one night Suiran. Confirmed with two double beds, but they were so good about upgrades last time even when their database still had me as a pre merger SPG gold instead of a post merger platinum, so I'm sure they'll do what they can to upgrade us and get us a single bed room if inventory permits.

Going to lurk every day and hope someone cancels their stay on the other day so I can switch it too.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Thought it was worth noting that the wonderful team at Suiran “upgraded” us from the moderate to a superior room in order to guarantee us a king bed. Being a return guest probably didn’t hurt. That also means the moderate room on Feb 24 was released so it’s available as an award if anyone is in Kyoto around then. The hotel is basically fully booked for awards throughout 2019.

Nov 25 Update: An award room opened on the Saturday. Hoping they'll be able to also bump this one to a king superior room and let us maintain our room for both award nights on separate reservations.
bhrubin and pauq like this.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Nov 24, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Just because I'm looking now - availability for redemptions are WIDE OPEN for nearly all days in the months of January-March. Very sparse after that unfortunately, but for those going soon and trying to book before it switches to Cat8 that's gotta be a huge steal.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Just because I'm looking now - availability for redemptions are WIDE OPEN for nearly all days in the months of January-March. Very sparse after that unfortunately, but for those going soon and trying to book before it switches to Cat8 that's gotta be a huge steal.
Yeah late Feb opened a little while back, and now mid March. Pretty sure they're messing around with the availability for the Moderate room to prevent 60k bookings from being made for all of 2019 which is a little annoying. I don't think I'll be fortunate enough to change my 5 night RC-Kyoto booking to Suiran at this rate.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Yeah late Feb opened a little while back, and now mid March. Pretty sure they're messing around with the availability for the Moderate room to prevent 60k bookings from being made for all of 2019 which is a little annoying. I don't think I'll be fortunate enough to change my 5 night RC-Kyoto booking to Suiran at this rate.
We're headed to Kyoto in July and I'd have loved to make a booking for 1-2 nights - but the cash rate for that is insane atm (~1k usd/night) and points is nonexistant for our dates, so that's probably gonna be a no unless some magic happens for christmas.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:50 pm

We're headed to Kyoto in July and I'd have loved to make a booking for 1-2 nights - but the cash rate for that is insane atm (~1k usd/night) and points is nonexistant for our dates, so that's probably gonna be a no unless some magic happens for christmas.
When inventory becomes normal for your dates it should be closer to ~60k JPY for the Moderate room and ~70k JPY for the Superior, so it's worth keeping an eye out anyway I think. I'm in the same boat, but I'm booking for November so I might be waiting a while.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:45 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I know my son was able to book a points stay for September 2019 in October. So they definitely didn't block out everything.

This is such a special hotel it is worth being patient and checking to see if award dates open.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

July should be doable. Kyoto in summer is kind of miserable. Hot, muggy and rainy monsoon season - should definitely be able to get something.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:21 am

Thought it was worth noting that the wonderful team at Suiran “upgraded” us from the moderate to a superior room in order to guarantee us a king bed. Being a return guest probably didn’t hurt.
Looks like they upgraded me as well. Good work Suiran.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:12 am

Award space opened after moving the booking platform to Marriott. I managed to get a 5 night point advance award stay at the end of April for 240k. They also had it set up such that you could book into either the Moderate or Superior room at the same 240k points.

It's kind of agonizing though. I'll have been to Suiran twice before already. Not sure if I should keep RC-Kyoto and make use of their activities team, or do Suiran. I doubt I'll get upgraded to Deluxe (outdoor bath) at Suiran, but nothing is impossible. I might email them and see if I can pay to upgrade. If anyone has been to both and has thoughts on the matter, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Dec 11, 2018 at 7:24 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Award space opened after moving the booking platform to Marriott. I managed to get a 5 night point advance award stay at the end of April for 240k. They also had it set up such that you could book into either the Moderate or Superior room at the same 240k points.

It's kind of agonizing though. I'll have been to Suiran twice before already. Not sure if I should keep RC-Kyoto and make use of their activities team, or do Suiran. I doubt I'll get upgraded to Deluxe (outdoor bath) at Suiran, but nothing is impossible. I might email them and see if I can pay to upgrade. If anyone has been to both and has thoughts on the matter, I'd love to hear them.
We stayed 5 nights at Suiran and 2 nights at RC Kyoto in May of this year. Both are amazing hotels, so you really can’t gro wrong. My reviews are posted to the Luxury Forum.

Suiran:

RC Kyoto:
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624

While we loved both hotels, we still much preferred and still yearn most for Suiran—but to each, their own. We did pay to upgrade from our award room to the Presidential Suite at Suiran. We were upgraded at no cost from our award room to the Kamogawa Suite at the RC Kyoto.

We much preferred Suiran’s more outskirts, out-of-the-way, more suburban/neighborhood-feeling, less touristy Arashiyama location on the more remote feeling Western side of the city. Others may prefer the RC’s more eastern, city feeling, more touristy, and certainly closer location to many of the most popular temples/shrines/gardens and restaurants in the city. It was only about a 30-35 min drive across the city between the two properties, however.

We much preferred Suiran’s hybridized arrangement blending authentic Japanese ryokan elements with a Western hotel. Suiran was quite unique in that regard. Others may prefer the RC being a proper Western hotel.

We much preferred Suiran’s smaller size with only 39 total rooms. Others may prefer the RC being a more proper hotel size with more rooms, more room and suite options, and many different restaurant outlets, let alone a proper spa.

Food and beverage were amazing at both hotels, but there is more restaurant choice that also is more easily accessible at or near the larger and closer to the tourist center RC. That being said, we loved the smaller, out of the way restaurant options near Suiran in Arashiyama. But note that most retaurants in Arashiyama close around 8 pm, so choices are more limited.

We plan to return to Suiran. We loved the RC, but we were truly swept away by Suiran in a way that might be most personally applicable only to us and those who travel more like us.
damon88, Aventine and rny321 like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 12, 2018 at 12:34 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin

We stayed 5 nights at Suiran and 2 nights at RC Kyoto in May of this year. Both are amazing hotels, so you really can’t gro wrong. My reviews are posted to the Luxury Forum.

Suiran:

RC Kyoto:
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624

While we loved both hotels, we still much preferred the still yearn most for Suiran—but to each, their own. We did pay to upgrade from our award room to the Presidential Suite at Suiran. We were upgraded at no cost from our award room to the Kamogawa Suite at the RC Kyoto.

We much preferred Suiran’s more outskirts, out-of-the-way, more suburban/neighborhood-feeling, less touristy Arashiyama location on the more remote feeling Western side of the city. Others may prefer the RC’s more eastern, city feeling, more touristy, and certainly closer location to many of the most popular temples/shrines/gardens and restaurants in the city. It was only about a 30-35 min drive across the city between the two properties, however.

We much preferred Suiran’s hybridized arrangement blending authentic Japanese ryokan elements with a Western hotel. Suiran was quite unique in that regard. Others may prefer the RC being a proper Western hotel.

We much preferred Suiran’s smaller size with only 39 total rooms. Others may prefer the RC being a more proper hotel size with more rooms, more room and suite options, and many different restaurant outlets, let alone a proper spa.

Food and beverage were amazing at both hotels, but there is more restaurant choice that also is more easily accessible at or near the larger and closer to the tourist center RC. That being said, we loved the smaller, out of the way restaurant options near Suiran in Arashiyama. But note that most retaurants in Arashiyama close around 8 pm, so choices are more limited.

We plan to return to Suiran. We loved the RC, but we were truly swept away by Suiran in a way that might be most personally applicable only to us and those who travel more like us.
You should come see it now during the Fall foliage koyo period, Your Iciness.
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
July should be doable. Kyoto in summer is kind of miserable. Hot, muggy and rainy monsoon season - should definitely be able to get something.
Just checked again and viola - my dates had availability!

And not just my dates - It looks like the ENTIRE calendar just opened up in the last few days.

It's a holiday long weekend too (I just realized - not like I know Japan's public holidays...) so even better! The two different room types that are avaibable for points booking are SUIGETSU & TSUKINONE - I chose Tsukinone because it has a balcony and the cash price is slightly higher (124k Yen/night... whew), but anyone who's stayed there has any insight on if either room is particularly advantageous over the other? I won't be Platinum anymore next year ( ) so no upgrade or breakfast for me either way

... Now the real question is - do I stay at the Ritz, the Suiran, or a few nights at both...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked again and viola - my dates had availability!

And not just my dates - It looks like the ENTIRE calendar just opened up in the last few days.

It's a holiday long weekend too (I just realized - not like I know Japan's public holidays...) so even better! The two different room types that are avaibable for points booking are SUIGETSU & TSUKINONE - I chose Tsukinone because it has a balcony and the cash price is slightly higher (124k Yen/night... whew), but anyone who's stayed there has any insight on if either room is particularly advantageous over the other? I won't be Platinum anymore next year ( ) so no upgrade or breakfast for me either way

... Now the real question is - do I stay at the Ritz, the Suiran, or a few nights at both...
A split would be rather enjoyable. Arashiyama and the Kamogawa Imperial palace areas are quite different from each other.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
A split would be rather enjoyable. Arashiyama and the Kamogawa Imperial palace areas are quite different from each other.
Yeah we're a bit worried with how far removed Arashiyama is from a lot of the destinations in Kyoto, that adding 1hr+ of transit time each way would be a bit of a hassle. We might just split it 2&3 west/east instead of staying 5 at Suiran. Sad about the free night but probably a better idea in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.