Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel, Mlini-Srebreno, Croatia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joakgarp
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Dubrovnik Riviera Hotel, Mlini-Srebreno, Croatia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Looking at the website, doesn't appear to be an exec lounge. If there isn't one, hopefully someone who has stayed there can report on the breakfast situation & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx!

Cheers/
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Looking at the website, doesn't appear to be an exec lounge. If there isn't one, hopefully someone who has stayed there can report on the breakfast situation & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx!

Cheers/
Just finished a stay here of eight nights and I can report there's no exec lounge. Rates usually comes with breakfast included though if booking on marriott.com

Last year we had a fantastic stay at Sheraton Rhodes Resort so we were looking forward to Sheraton Dubrovnik Resort and it didn't disappoint at all.
Sheraton Dubrovnik is just four years old and the building is stunning. Everything feels great here and service is great. I hope there will be more Sheraton Resorts opening up because I really like them. If booked in advance the daily rate is very fair priced. The value of what you're paying for is amazing.
On arrival we had some raspberries with smoothie waiting for us in our room with a welcome letter thanking us from being Bonvoy elite members.
This is a classic Sheraton thing in southern Europe and it's always appreciated from us after a flight. I don't really get this so often at other properties for some odd reason.
​​​​​
Location is in a small town called Srebreno 15 min away from the airport and 15 min away from Dubrovnik. You have everything you need here including a shopping mall. But I still recommend to rent a car so you can explore both Dubrovnik and outside area as it's plenty to see with stunning views. If not there are ferries from the Srebreno pier to Dubrovnik. If you decide to rent a car don't rent a big suv or something as the roads are not that wide all the time in southern Croatia. With Hertz we had a small B class car so B or C class. Of course it depends how much you are used to drive on narrow roads and how big party you have...

Last edited by joakgarp; Jul 6, 2019 at 1:20 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
@joakgarp...thanks for the update!

If if possible could you tell us a little more about the elite treatment. Did you get an upgrade? How was the room? How was breakfast? Service?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by christianj
@joakgarp...thanks for the update!

If if possible could you tell us a little more about the elite treatment. Did you get an upgrade? How was the room? How was breakfast? Service?
Sure! Elite treatment is not more than what was waiting for us in our room after we checked in. Also some dry fruits in the evening before we checked in. Apart from that there is no more elite treatment than the usual room upgrade if room is availale.

There are very few suites here and the suites are apparently facing the mountain and not the sea so I can recommend a Deluxe Room here for the sea view and the nice balcony (which we never used rather than drying our towels etc). Classic rooms are facing the mountain, superior rooms give partial sea views. So we were upgraded on the day of arrival with two categories from Classic to a Deluxe Room. I think the rooms look all the same though, a bit different perhaps with a couple of more SQM in the Deluxe Rooms compared to Classic and Superior, but our room felt great and spacious. We had no trouble with our two big luggage of 20 kg each to fit them in the room.
Bathroom comes with both shower and bathtub and two wash basins so it's easy for two people do their own thing at the same time.

Breakfast was wide with plenty to choose from also with two omelette stations. It's located in the main restaurant so it's very big and we had no trouble finding ourself a table at all. Service in the restaurant was a bit slow with asking us if we wanted a cup of coffee after we were seated, so had to reach out to the waitress almost all the time. I think once or twice they asked us for coffee so the waitress can be busy. There are however two coffee machines by the juice so you can do your own espresso etc by yourself. Of course the waitress are doing their best as they pick up empty plates pretty fast.
Also possible to sit outside on the terrace but it's so hot in Croatia that I need the air condition. Plenty of variety and it's got what you need to start your day. Classic Sheraton but a little bit more than the regular Sheraton.

Couple of more notes. One pool outside and one inside. Inside pool just used once. Gym was great the one time I used it. Wished I used it more often but beach life and driving around southern Croatia can be tough time Also spa area with sauna, hot steam and a jacuzzi.
The hotel feels a lot like Sheraton Rhodes but in a very much newer building. Also sweet with the complimentary parking in the garage of the hotel. Service was a little bit better at Sheraton Rhodes but still great here.
Pool ordering was okay but fast delivery. Did not try to have any dinner at the hotel as there are plenty of great restaurants at the beach pedestrian path.
I'm one of the few here who are actually a fan of the Sheraton brand and I think their properties are great, especially in Europe and Asia. This is easily my top five Sheraton anyway as probably shows.

Dubrovnik town was really cool to visit and as a fan of GOT it sure delivered Will be awesome to rewatch GOT this fall and notice one of the locations which were actually filmed there.

Last edited by joakgarp; Jul 6, 2019 at 6:49 am
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:37 pm

@joakgarp....thanks for all the additional details! More than I was hoping for so much appreciated! One follow up question.,,,where there a lot of kids at the hotel?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:07 pm

@joakgarp....thanks for all the additional details! More than I was hoping for so much appreciated! One follow up question.,,,where there a lot of kids at the hotel?
Not so much kids at all. Was expecting much more.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
When I stayed in 2017 they had a kids club. But even with that surprisingly few kids but the area it is in was full of families.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same here. When we stayed there in 2017 there were hardly any kids in this hotel but the area indeed had lots of families vacationing.

The ferry to Dubrovnik is a much more convenient option than the bus option (the station is on the main road just at the intersection of the street leads down to the beach area.

Agree with the suggestion on having a rental car. Rental car rates in Croatia were very reasonable. We had an Avis for 2 weeks. Just make sure if you plan to go to Monte Negro, you would need additional liability insurance and the rental car company can supply that - Avis charged an additional 50 euro for the "green book" which would be examined by the border control. If you do not process the insurance coverage you can buy the required coverage at a kiosk near the border for slightly cheaper, like 35 euro - but I am not sure should you actually get into an accident, just how do you file claim on that? Better just deal with the rental car company for some peace of mind.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:34 am

Updated wiki with the correct email adress to the hotel. The one listed was false and giving error replies.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Does the hotel provide any kind of bus or shuttle to/from the airport ?
Or to/from the old town of Dubrovnik ?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Does the hotel provide any kind of bus or shuttle to/from the airport ?
Or to/from the old town of Dubrovnik ?
No. But Uber is available and not overly expensive. The route to the hotel has spectacular views. You may want to ask the driver to stop at some outlooks and take photos.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Question Hilton Dubrovnik or Sheraton Dubrovnik?

Hilton Dubrovnik vs. Sheraton Dubrovnik?

For our family trip I am trying to decide between this property, Sheraton Dubrovnik, and the Hilton Dubrovnik in the old city. I have HH GLD so will get breakfast at Hilton. I only have MAR SLV so don't expect anything.

Cost wise: I grabbed the Sheraton on points before the fall devaluation so it is a good points deals. For the Hilton, I am staying on points @ their regular 70K per night per room (ouch!)

I don't intend to rent a car and will be in the area for 2-3 days. Can the ferry take us into the old city. What is the frequency and the cost?

Suggestions are welcome.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:42 am

miles_navigator I looked at these options recently for a trip I am thinking about. IMHO the big differences are that the Hilton is a more historic property in old town and the Sheraton a newer property outside of town near the water. Hilton Dubrovnik generally gets very favorable reviews and I have heard people say it is more like a Conrad than a Hilton especially after the recent reno and the lounge is very good based on comments I have read. Based on my research, there was a ferry at/near the Sheraton that went to Dubrovnik town and it took about 25 minutes and cost around $20. So for me it boils down to...in town or out of town and with a more resort feel. Not to throw even more uncertainty into this for you but remember there's always the new Hyatt option via SLH at Villa Orsula out there as well.

Last edited by christianj; Oct 10, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I stayed at the Hilton - much better location than the Sheraton. Walking distance to everything.

Lounge is great - top floor with outside terrace with a city view. Sitting out there for breakfast or evening drinks was awesome.

They e-mailed me in advance to ask if we needed anything; I mentioned it was our anniversary and when we arrived they had a huge tray of sweets, a bottle of bubbly, and swans made from towels and rose peddles on the bed. Classy place.

Pool not great.

As others have said, Sheraton for beach/pool, Hilton for location.

Make sure you take one of the day boat trips to the surrounding islands. They are all similar in where they stop but some boats are better than others so make sure you eyeball the vessel first. This was one of the most fun days I've ever had, but we could have had a better boat had we known.

Day trip to Montenegro was awesome as well.
christianj likes this.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Oct 10, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
I am currently there. I decided to risk and travel despite the pandemic, though when we made the plan the situation in Croatia seemed better. About the pandemic: the hotel staff is wearing masks quite consistently (though not everyone wears them on the nose) and gloves (not sure what's the point of gloves). All facilities are operating, including the swimming pools. Sunbeds etc are regularly disinfected, for what it's worth.

More generally. The hotel is in a nice location, a few km from Dubrovnik, with direct access to a public beach. Whether the location is good really depends on what sort of holiday you want, as others have said above.

My room (an executive suite) was large, well-appointed and with a nice view. The room had some minor but annoying issues: the shower would constantly leak due to the slope (or lack of slope) of the floor, and on occasion there would be a significant smell of sewage from the drains. I am not sure any of these can be easily fixed.

The service was somewhat lacking for a five-star hotel. Sometimes the cleaning of the room would be a bit disappointing for some details (the tables on the balconies were never cleaned over a week, bathrobes never replaced, cups and glasses were removed but not replace, the tea and coffee were not replenished, etc.).

The food offering is where the management could make most improvements. Having a balcony with view, we often dined in. The room service menu is quite poor, and the execution of the dishes is ghastly (we had a Cesar salad that would be fit for a canteen's buffet). The food from the Leut restaurant is somewhat better, but substantially worse than most restaurants around (and more expensive). The Lungo Mare restaurant was closed during our visit. Breakfast is mostly fine, though it is disappointing that old (dry) bread and pastry make their way to the buffet. Cold cuts are also relatively low-quality.

Service could also be improved. The younger staff in general speaks English well, but not all do. There are some miscommunications between staff (according to whom is asked, ordering a dish from the restaurant to the room would be either no problem or impossible). The waiters in Leut during breakfast are generally not attentive or efficient, which is a problem because currently all hot and cold drinks have to be ordered through them. [By the way, I also stayed at the Hilton and I think the Sheraton's breakfast is currently much better.]

A final concern is that the hotel is quite big with respect to the capacity of the facilities and of the beach (the latter is public, but beds and umbrellas are provided). If the hotel were anywhere close to being full, and if there had been more tourists in town from other hotels and apartments, I think this would make for a very cramped and stressful experience.

If I would return, I would probably do so off-season and take again a suite with view. I would avoid the hotel in high season and, from what I have seen, I think that regular rooms are a little on the small side --- fine for a 2-3 day stay but cramped for more.
MrSnoot78 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.