Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Atlantis, Bahamas an Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Good details in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30029755-post302.html

The Atlantis is made up of 4 towers that will participate for redemption stays. They are as follows:

Atlantis, Beach Tower - Do not participate in Marriott reward booking(?) (old Category 7)
Atlantis, Coral Towers - New Category 5 (35k) (old Category 8 (from March, 2018 https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/use/category-update.mi)
Atlantis, Royal Towers - New Category 6 (50k) (old Category 8)
The Cove Atlantis - New Category 7 (60k) (old Category 9)

Apparently, you cannot redeem points for a stay at The Reef Atlantis, but you can earn points on a paid stay there.

Points are earned for room rate only. No points on incidental spend. Platinum Arrival Gift (PAG) is 500pts or food/drink amenity. $20 internet fee* is NOT waived for Gold/Plats per Marriott's T&Cs. For rooms that will have more than two people aged twelve or over, there is an "additional adult charge" per person. *For Royal, Coral, Beach Towers, internet is included as part of the daily resort fee of $50.

"For clarification purposes, the daily charge is not a resort fee. The additional charges associated with the stay currently include mandatory gratuities and a utility service fee per person per day. The amount can vary by unit type by building. These additional charges have always been in place at Atlantis."

ADDITIONAL CHARGES:

Guests of Atlantis, Harborside Resort, The Cove and The Reef Atlantis are subject to an 20% charge per night that includes taxes, the Paradise Island Tourism and Development Association levy, the Nassau Paradise Island Promotion Board levy and compensation for servicing your reservation. In addition, guests will be required to pay a mandatory gratuity and utility service fee of (i) up to $25.95 per person per day depending on unit type for Atlantis guests, (ii) up to $20.70 per person per day depending on unit type for Harborside Resort guests, and (iii) up to $65.95 per person per day depending on unit type for The Cove or The Reef Atlantis guests. If you purchase a pre-paid package these charges are already included in your package price. If you do not purchase a pre-paid package, these charges will be assessed upon check out at the property. Please be advised that all mandatory gratuities, taxes, levies and service fees are subject to change.

As of 01-Jan-2015, In addition to the previous 20% tax on room rate and purchases, there is an additional VAT of 7.5%, 12%* (as of July 1, 2018), making a total tax on room rate and purchases of 37.5%. This also applies to additional adult fees (for more than two person ages 12 and older staying in the same room), but does not apply to the mandatory gratuity and utility fees. https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/05/30/vat-hike-to-12-percent/
*If you booked prior to the VAT increase, you should be able to have the original 7.5% VAT honored. https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/06/07/hotels-and-resorts-allowed-to-honor-prior-bookings-at-7-5-vat/

Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas participates in Marriott Rewards as follows:
- Points or Miles may be earned for reservations booked through www.marriott.com/atlantis or by calling 1-855-696-4732.
- Points or Miles will not be earned and Points cannot be redeemed for reservations booked through Atlantis Paradise Vacations, Atlantis.com, or AtlantisBahamas.com.
- Reward booking can be done online from Marriott website. You can also book stays with points advance (borrow points). The cancellation policy is normally 14 days in advance. Points may be redeemed for stays only by calling 1-855-696-4732. At this time, redemption stays cannot be booked online.
Print Wikipost

Atlantis, Bahamas an Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:08 pm

That is very surprising and great news! You definitely lucked out.

As for me, I did not receive a call back from Christy but did receive a call from another gentleman who stated that they couldnt figure out who Christy was but that the other rep made him aware of what was going on and he wanted to help clear things up for me. He was very knowledgeable and explained the charges in detail. This is the break down:

1. $27.95 per day per person (While originally this was described to me as a "resort fee" that is not correct. Its a fee that Marriott pays/charges for utilities, gratuities and "services". Also while I was told about the fee at booking, I was told that it was a daily fee and not a per person daily fee.)

2. $50 per day per adult if more than 2 adults (Despite me telling them during the reservation that my youngest child was 6yrs, they entered in 4 adults on my reservation. In addition, I was not informed at all about this additional charge and there was no real explanation offered other than "Thats what Atlantis charges")

3. 27.50% tax on any charges above & beyond the service fees. So in this case, the $27.50 on my reservation was indeed 27.5% of the $100 ($50 per adult for adults #3 & #4). It's worth noting that the 27.50% includes the 7.5% VAT that was added on Jan 1st. Previously this amount was 20%.

So...
$27.95 X 4 People X 7 Days = $782.60
$50.00 X 2 People X 7 Days = $700.00
$27.50 X 7 Days = 192.50
Total = $1675.10 which is what my reservation shows.

If you adjust the total number of adults to 3 as the reservation should have been the total would be $1228.85.

So to the point, this is clearly due to a lack of communication/transparency by Marriott and a lot of price gouging by Atlantis. The rep I spoke with was very apologetic and admitted that Marriott dropped the ball in properly explaining the fees and of course that things were a little rocky when the transition of Atlantis over to Marriott began. He was very friendly, never shifting the blame away from Marriott and did a great job making me feel like he truly wanted to keep my business. I spend 200-280 nights a year at a Marriott (I'm sitting at one right now) so thats the kind of service I appreciate.

In the end, there just wasn't a whole lot he could do to waive fees or taxes because they are what they are. He did offer me a small room credit each day that I could use for any purchases made while we were there and the offer is appreciated but I told him to hold off for now as I need to speak with my wife and decide if this is still a vacation we would want to take.

I have a feeling we will be cancelling the reservation and looking to stay at a different property that treats their guests a little better and has me thinking more about relaxing and less about checking my bill each day.

Edit: The rep did say they they frequent these forums and was aware of this thread. So if nothing else you have made a great contribution with posting your experience.

Originally Posted by jwlowry
I have heard back from a Quality Assurance Manager at the Atlantis Property. He has offered me $300, applied as a credit to my credit card. This is surprising; I have never been offered what amounts to cash compensation over the elite benefit guarantee limit of $200 (which was the best I hoped to achieve).

In addition to this, Marriott Customer Care has already added 10,000 points to my Rewards account.

The cash offer is intended to address only my loss of elite benefits, not any of the other issues that came up during my stay. However, as $300 amounts to about 16% of my total spend, this seems pretty fair and reasonable to me. What think ye?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:33 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Tirade
I have a feeling we will be cancelling the reservation and looking to stay at a different property that treats their guests a little better and has me thinking more about relaxing and less about checking my bill each day.

Edit: The rep did say they they frequent these forums and was aware of this thread. So if nothing else you have made a great contribution with posting your experience.
If I had it to do over again, I would definitely have headed somewhere else.

It's good that my experiences have been informative. Sometimes one just has to take one for the team.

I hope you find a great place and have a relaxing vacation in the sun!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:37 am

Thanks jwlowry & Tirade for providing the details on this place. I'll put it on the watch list until more positive reviews are posted.

Paying 340k points plus $1,500+ just for the room is way too much for 7 days. You'd be better off at the St. Thomas Ritz Carlton for about the same points & much less money.

At the Surf Club in Aruba, there's a "Lazy River" pool & water slide. You can get 2BR villas for ~340k for a week. And they include full kitchens to help save on food costs.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bucs0721
...Paying 340k points plus $1,500+ just for the room is way too much for 7 days....
I totally agree. I have stayed at Atlantis and cannot believe that anyone would accept that level of cost. Valuing Marriott points at a penny apiece, the total cost comes to $700+/night. That's just crazy for the Bahamas. Way out of line. Look 200 miles west and find a great spot in South Florida for half the price or much less.

Bruce
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:17 pm

Thumbs down Uggggh!

Here's another unhappy little tidbit: I put all of my Atlantis charges on my Marriott Premier credit card from Chase. I was of course expecting to receive the 5x bonus for my purchases made at the property. Nope, just 1x (1800 instead of 9000).

I am going to take this up with Marriott and Chase and will post an update once I have resolution to the issue.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:42 am

Update on Premier Card points

I am going to take this up with Marriott and Chase and will post an update once I have resolution to the issue.
I spoke with Chase and they referred me to Marriott Rewards, as I expected. Marriott Rewards told me that no bonus points will be given for spend at the Atlantis property until the database that triggers the bonus points in updated by Chase. In the meantime, I was told that Premier Card holders should contact Marriott Rewards and they will request to have the bonus points applied manually. I was told the process could take up to one billing cycle.

I contacted Marriott Customer Service and was given 10,000 additional points to make my "bad Atlantis experiences go away."

All in all, I feel as though I have been fairly compensated for the poor service and missteps, but it has also taken a lot of my time. I really hope things get ironed out for those who still plan to head to Atlantis.

Best wishes!!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:42 pm

I've stayed here before the Marriott affiliation and it is a rip-off.

Not only do they sell day-passes to cruise ship passengers but they also allow guests from Comfort Suites across the street to use the facilities. So there are times where you wait for more than an hour to get on a waterslide.

The attitude with front desk is just too laid back, no professionalism and no one takes ownership or responsibility.

For example: While having dinner I noticed an employee behind the buffet table eating from the displayed shrimp plate, he was picking up the shrimp with his bare hands! When I brought this to the attention of the "duty manager" she laughed and said "maybe he was hungry". I told her my concern was not if he was hungry but that it wasn't sanitary, To which she replied "all kitchen staff wash their hands".

I would never stay there again. In fact, you are better off staying across the street at Comfort Suites where the rooms are cheaper, bigger, include breakfast, FREE INTERNET and FULL ACCESS to Atlantis!

http://www.comfortsuitespi.com/

Last edited by imverge; Jan 13, 2015 at 11:09 pm Reason: added Comfort Suites Info
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:01 am

Does anyone know if its possible to use Marriott Vacations and book 7 days certificate with the airfare for this property? Seem to get conflicting results from representatives.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tirade
I completely agree with this sentiment. It's too bad more guests don't, because then more properties (and businesses in general) would act accordingly.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
A few observations:

1. There is likely a lack of service reason that Marriott got to run this and it is going to take a while (years) to get the place in shape.
2. The Bahamas is a mess in terms of people, resources and taxes. The new VAT has got everyone spun up and Nassau/New Providence is the worst given the size of the population. It also has a high crime rate given the poverty.

The chances of change at Atlantis is are give all of this in my opinion and the chances of me every spending a night in Nassau/New Providence by choice are 0. On the other hand I would gladly visit any of the family island and do yearly for the last 26 years.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta HHonors Marriott Hertz
Many thanks for the detailed reports. I'll look elsewhere for our Spring Break vacation
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:03 pm

More on the Premier Card points

I just noticed that 7052 bonus points were added to my Rewards account as a "Goodwill Adjustment", thus making me whole with the 5x bonus I should have received automatically for using my Premier Card at Atlantis. This was in addition to the 10,000 points that were added by Marriott Customer Service.

All in all, I think Marriott has done an excellent job of making a bad situation better. I really hope Atlantis raises their level of customer service to Marriott standards, or else I hope Marriott quickly reevaluates their relationship with Atlantis.

Hopefully, that closes the book on this sad episode. Again, my best wishes to anyone who chooses to go to Atlantis. May the Force be with you!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:36 am

Im glad that worked out for you in the end and again Im thankful we read your report before going there.

We ended up cancelling our reservation and are headed to Cancun instead. Marriott was nice enough to give us a $250 resort credit and a room upgrade, which they didnt need to do but it was very much appreciated.

We had to adjust our dates a bit but thats fine, I am already feeling a bit more relaxed haha. Now we wait...

I just noticed that 7052 bonus points were added to my Rewards account as a "Goodwill Adjustment", thus making me whole with the 5x bonus I should have received automatically for using my Premier Card at Atlantis. This was in addition to the 10,000 points that were added by Marriott Customer Service.

All in all, I think Marriott has done an excellent job of making a bad situation better. I really hope Atlantis raises their level of customer service to Marriott standards, or else I hope Marriott quickly reevaluates their relationship with Atlantis.

Hopefully, that closes the book on this sad episode. Again, my best wishes to anyone who chooses to go to Atlantis. May the Force be with you!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: MR PP, DL PM
fYI, my plans changed and I will be returning 2 five night rewards at the Cove Mar 21-26 In case anybody is interested and looking for rooms there 180k pts per stay.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:07 am

Per the Atlantis site and Marriott Customer Care it appears WiFi is now included as part of the resort fee and not a separate daily charge. I'm going to the Cove tomorrow so I'll report back if it actually is true and if it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.