Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Atlantis, Bahamas an Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Good details in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30029755-post302.html

The Atlantis is made up of 4 towers that will participate for redemption stays. They are as follows:

Atlantis, Beach Tower - Do not participate in Marriott reward booking(?) (old Category 7)
Atlantis, Coral Towers - New Category 5 (35k) (old Category 8 (from March, 2018 https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/use/category-update.mi)
Atlantis, Royal Towers - New Category 6 (50k) (old Category 8)
The Cove Atlantis - New Category 7 (60k) (old Category 9)

Apparently, you cannot redeem points for a stay at The Reef Atlantis, but you can earn points on a paid stay there.

Points are earned for room rate only. No points on incidental spend. Platinum Arrival Gift (PAG) is 500pts or food/drink amenity. $20 internet fee* is NOT waived for Gold/Plats per Marriott's T&Cs. For rooms that will have more than two people aged twelve or over, there is an "additional adult charge" per person. *For Royal, Coral, Beach Towers, internet is included as part of the daily resort fee of $50.

"For clarification purposes, the daily charge is not a resort fee. The additional charges associated with the stay currently include mandatory gratuities and a utility service fee per person per day. The amount can vary by unit type by building. These additional charges have always been in place at Atlantis."

ADDITIONAL CHARGES:

Guests of Atlantis, Harborside Resort, The Cove and The Reef Atlantis are subject to an 20% charge per night that includes taxes, the Paradise Island Tourism and Development Association levy, the Nassau Paradise Island Promotion Board levy and compensation for servicing your reservation. In addition, guests will be required to pay a mandatory gratuity and utility service fee of (i) up to $25.95 per person per day depending on unit type for Atlantis guests, (ii) up to $20.70 per person per day depending on unit type for Harborside Resort guests, and (iii) up to $65.95 per person per day depending on unit type for The Cove or The Reef Atlantis guests. If you purchase a pre-paid package these charges are already included in your package price. If you do not purchase a pre-paid package, these charges will be assessed upon check out at the property. Please be advised that all mandatory gratuities, taxes, levies and service fees are subject to change.

As of 01-Jan-2015, In addition to the previous 20% tax on room rate and purchases, there is an additional VAT of 7.5%, 12%* (as of July 1, 2018), making a total tax on room rate and purchases of 37.5%. This also applies to additional adult fees (for more than two person ages 12 and older staying in the same room), but does not apply to the mandatory gratuity and utility fees. https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/05/30/vat-hike-to-12-percent/
*If you booked prior to the VAT increase, you should be able to have the original 7.5% VAT honored. https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/06/07/hotels-and-resorts-allowed-to-honor-prior-bookings-at-7-5-vat/

Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas participates in Marriott Rewards as follows:
- Points or Miles may be earned for reservations booked through www.marriott.com/atlantis or by calling 1-855-696-4732.
- Points or Miles will not be earned and Points cannot be redeemed for reservations booked through Atlantis Paradise Vacations, Atlantis.com, or AtlantisBahamas.com.
- Reward booking can be done online from Marriott website. You can also book stays with points advance (borrow points). The cancellation policy is normally 14 days in advance. Points may be redeemed for stays only by calling 1-855-696-4732. At this time, redemption stays cannot be booked online.
Print Wikipost

Atlantis, Bahamas an Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds terrible, but I would like to point out that gift shop discounts for plat are only available at Marriott managed and operated gift shops. Autograph Collection hotels are not managed by Marriott, so I'm guessing their gift shops aren't either.

Bed type guarantee states: "At locations throughout the U.S. and Canada, we'll always honor your bed type request. Outside U.S. and Canada, smoking/nonsmoking preferences are honored based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary."
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:15 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
This sounds terrible, but I would like to point out that gift shop discounts for plat are only available at Marriott managed and operated gift shops. Autograph Collection hotels are not managed by Marriott, so I'm guessing their gift shops aren't either.

Bed type guarantee states: "At locations throughout the U.S. and Canada, we'll always honor your bed type request. Outside U.S. and Canada, smoking/nonsmoking preferences are honored based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary."
I hadn't noticed the bit about the gift shop guarantee being specific to Marriott properties, although in the same sentence, it mentions that gift shops at Autograph properties are included. Thanks!

As to the bed type guarantee, the T&C currently says this: "Outside U.S. and Canada: smoking/non-smoking preferences may also be given priority, based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary and only Platinum members will have guaranteed priority for your requested type of bed and room."

However, my expectations were based on my research on Marriott.com and AtlantisBahamas.com, as well as calls made to Marriott reservations (the Plat desk) and the property itself. I understand that these things can change over time and with or without notice, but these expectations were pretty clearly spelled out to me in advance of booking the hotel.

Cheers!

Last edited by jwlowry; Jan 7, 2015 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:17 pm

Smile I wish . . .

Originally Posted by iztok
OMFG! The story jwlowry tells is just incredible. I am not saying I don't believe him, I do! Just jaw dropping how are they deliberately and actively setting up traps to catch guests to cough up more $. Just amazing.

Thank you! I was looking forward to go there but now, nah, I'll go somewhere else.
I really, REALLY wish I was making this up. I don't think I'm that creative, though.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
looks like Marriott has their work cut out for themselves lot's to do here, no wonder the hotel is in rough waters,
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wow jwlowry - thanks for the heads up. I was already leaning against Atlantis. This just cements it. Too many other nice places to stay.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jwlowry
I really, REALLY wish I was making this up. I don't think I'm that creative, though.
I had a very similar experience. Absolutely awful. I had no idea that when I went to the pool that I would be fighting thousands of people for pool chairs. And where did all of those thousands of people come from? They all had "Carnival Cruise Line" towels. I realized this resort does not care about the people staying there, they just want to sell as many tickets to the water park as possible. Made it a very unenjoyable experience.

Also had issues with fraudelent billing. The phone companies are good at "stuffing" artifical items on your bill and I think the Atlantis learned from them. They probably figure that if 10% of those artifical amounts get paid then it is just more revenue.

I am Platinum Premier and stay in a Marriott every week. This place is just not ready to be labeled as a Marriott.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:52 am

Would The Cove be better for some of the crowd issues?
I need to decide in next few days whether to buy $600 in points for a stay at the Cove. Because it is an upgraded room it is a total of 230K points for five nights.
I know others have said there are better places to spend those points. What are they?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey
I know others have said there are better places to spend those points. What are they?
In my experience, I would recommend the JW Marriott in Miami.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:57 pm

jwlowry,

Question for you. I have a trip for 4 (3 adults, 1 child) to Atlantis coming up the last week of May/June for 7 days that I purchased with points the first week of November (prior to any T&C's being updated). I was not told about any additional charges per adult over 2, nor was I told there were base charges per person.

Ive already purchased airfare so at this point Im stuck with this trip. So my question is, did you have any luck getting refunded for your per person or per adult charges?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tirade
jwlowry,

Question for you. I have a trip for 4 (3 adults, 1 child) to Atlantis coming up the last week of May/June for 7 days that I purchased with points the first week of November (prior to any T&C's being updated). I was not told about any additional charges per adult over 2, nor was I told there were base charges per person.

Ive already purchased airfare so at this point Im stuck with this trip. So my question is, did you have any luck getting refunded for your per person or per adult charges?
In a manner of speaking, yes, for the additional adult charges. I still had to pay the gratuity and utility fees, which are charged per person for all adults, regardless of the number. I discovered the additional charge when I reviewed my reservation at Marriott.com prior to taking the trip. The reservation listed total estimated costs for the trip as 105,000 points plus ~$611. I called Marriott Customer Care right away and explained the situation to them (at the time, the reservation had all four of us listed as adults). After some research, Christy at Customer Care updated my reservation to be three adults and one child, and she agreed to pay for the additional adult fees associated with my son. Atlantis still tried to charge me for the fees (for both my son and daughter), but Marriott took care of it.

So, not really a refund, but Marriott paid the fee. I have no idea if this is something they are offering to do in general, but it might be worth a shot to contact Customer Care. The total amount that Marriott took care of was $240+, which was quite generous, in my opinion.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Just as there is a special reservations line for Atlantis (for reward stays, it is the only way to book them), there is also apparently a special group within Customer Care whose members have been trained to deal with Atlantis issues. I mention Christy's name because she is a member of that group, but I suspect there are others as well. The direct number to that group that I was given is 800.466.8068.

I wish you the best of luck. My best advice is to be very diligent in checking everything that ends up on your folio. Also, if there are discrepancies, I would contact Marriott Customer Care right away while you are still no the property. Finally, have low expectations about any benefits of being a Marriott Rewards member.

Last edited by jwlowry; Jan 6, 2015 at 9:58 pm Reason: Clarification of fees that I recovered.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:53 am

Thanks and it looks like you are correct. Here is what it shows under my reservation:

Summary of Charges
Reward Description Qty Points
Hotel Reward: 5 Nights, Category 9 Hotel 1 180,000
Hotel Reward: 2 Nights, Category 9 Hotel 1 90,000
Standard Upgrade Reward 14 70,000
Total points for stay: 340,000
Summary of Room Charges Cost per night per room (USD)
Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - Wednesday, June 3, 2015 (7 nights , Marriott Rewards Upgrade, eCertificate plus 2 upgrade certificates required per night ) Marriott Rewards points
(see Reward Description)
Extra adult charge (children may be exempted) 100.00
Service charge 111.80
Estimated government taxes and fees 27.50
Total for stay (per room) 1,675.10

So $1675 on top of the 340k points I used and none of these fees were discussed before, during or after the reservation was made. One of our 4 is a 6yr old and I told them that at the time of booking. I'll be on the phone with Marriott today and if this doesnt clear up quickly I'll be vacationing elsewhere. Ive called United and luckily as a platinum member there is no fee to change my award tickets.

Now I just have to find an alternate Marriott tropical paradise with a water park...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:11 am

Extra adult charge (children may be exempted) 100.00
Service charge 111.80
Estimated government taxes and fees 27.50
Total for stay (per room) 1,675.10

So $1675 on top of the 340k points I used and none of these fees were discussed before, during or after the reservation was made. One of our 4 is a 6yr old and I told them that at the time of booking. I'll be on the phone with Marriott today and if this doesnt clear up quickly I'll be vacationing elsewhere. Ive called United and luckily as a platinum member there is no fee to change my award tickets.

Now I just have to find an alternate Marriott tropical paradise with a water park...
A couple of things to note from my experience:

After I called Marriott when I noticed these extra charges, they actually removed my daughter from the reservation. Christy, my awesome Marriott Customer Care angel, explained that this was the only way they could get the reservation to work. However, when we arrived on site, the person who checked me in tried essentially to coerce me into registering my daughter as an adult.

At the time that your (and my) reservation was made, Marriott folks were apparently themselves not aware of the extra adult charge, but are now. Hopefully that will be communicated clearly to people going forward.

When I made my reservation, the mandatory gratuity was explained to me, but not the utility aspect of it. Regardless, the fee of ~$62 was explained to me as a total for the stay, but ended up being per night. I believe Marriott is now making a better attempt at communicating this as well.

This has certainly been a learning experience for me as well as the Marriott team. If anyone has any other questions about my experience, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:00 pm

Well I called the number and the rep who answered told me that she wasn't 100% sure how things worked. She said that the Marriott site is showing my total as incorrect and when I asked her to explain it to me this was what she said:

There is a fee of $27.95 per day per adult. On top of this fee there is a 27.5% tax and as of Jan 1st 2015 there is now also a 7.5% VAT tax. So thats 35% tax total on top of the daily fee (if this rep was correct).

When I told her that the Marriott site shows a $27.50 cost per day and not a 27.50% tax and that nowhere does it mention a fee of $27.95 she became flustered and I asked her if she could transfer me to Christy. Christy was unavailable so I left my number and she is supposed to call me back. I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by jwlowry
A couple of things to note from my experience:

After I called Marriott when I noticed these extra charges, they actually removed my daughter from the reservation. Christy, my awesome Marriott Customer Care angel, explained that this was the only way they could get the reservation to work. However, when we arrived on site, the person who checked me in tried essentially to coerce me into registering my daughter as an adult.

At the time that your (and my) reservation was made, Marriott folks were apparently themselves not aware of the extra adult charge, but are now. Hopefully that will be communicated clearly to people going forward.

When I made my reservation, the mandatory gratuity was explained to me, but not the utility aspect of it. Regardless, the fee of ~$62 was explained to me as a total for the stay, but ended up being per night. I believe Marriott is now making a better attempt at communicating this as well.

This has certainly been a learning experience for me as well as the Marriott team. If anyone has any other questions about my experience, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:15 pm

When I told her that the Marriott site shows a $27.50 cost per day and not a 27.50% tax and that nowhere does it mention a fee of $27.95 she became flustered and I asked her if she could transfer me to Christy. Christy was unavailable so I left my number and she is supposed to call me back. I'll let you know how it goes.
Atlantis and Marriott are definitely still getting to know each other. In each conversation and email exchange that I have had with Marriott Customer Care, they have described these experiences as learning opportunities.

I hope Christy is able to help you; she has been a great person to work with in even trying to understand what happened versus what should have happened, and she has at least gotten the folks at the property to respond where I have come up short. I look forward to hearing about how it goes.

By the way, when I was there (which was right before the new year), there was a 20% tax on everything except the gratuity and utilities fee (which makes up the $27.95 per person in your case). The tax was assessed on all transactions (food, gift shops, etc.) and the additional adult fee (which, in my case, Marriott graciously paid). I suspect that the new 7.5% VAT is on top of the 20% and makes a total tax of 27.5%, but I that is just a result of my own deductive reasoning. If my reasoning is correct, your reservation shows $100 in additional adult charges, 27.5% of which is equal to the $27.50 estimated government taxes and fees also shown on your reservation.

This is all pretty confusing.

Cheers!

Last edited by jwlowry; Jan 7, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:48 pm

Update: response from Atlantis

I have heard back from a Quality Assurance Manager at the Atlantis Property. He has offered me $300, applied as a credit to my credit card. This is surprising; I have never been offered what amounts to cash compensation over the elite benefit guarantee limit of $200 (which was the best I hoped to achieve).

In addition to this, Marriott Customer Care has already added 10,000 points to my Rewards account.

The cash offer is intended to address only my loss of elite benefits, not any of the other issues that came up during my stay. However, as $300 amounts to about 16% of my total spend, this seems pretty fair and reasonable to me. What think ye?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.