Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Atlantis, Bahamas an Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Good details in this post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30029755-post302.html

The Atlantis is made up of 4 towers that will participate for redemption stays. They are as follows:

Atlantis, Beach Tower - Do not participate in Marriott reward booking(?) (old Category 7)
Atlantis, Coral Towers - New Category 5 (35k) (old Category 8 (from March, 2018 https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/use/category-update.mi)
Atlantis, Royal Towers - New Category 6 (50k) (old Category 8)
The Cove Atlantis - New Category 7 (60k) (old Category 9)

Apparently, you cannot redeem points for a stay at The Reef Atlantis, but you can earn points on a paid stay there.

Points are earned for room rate only. No points on incidental spend. Platinum Arrival Gift (PAG) is 500pts or food/drink amenity. $20 internet fee* is NOT waived for Gold/Plats per Marriott's T&Cs. For rooms that will have more than two people aged twelve or over, there is an "additional adult charge" per person. *For Royal, Coral, Beach Towers, internet is included as part of the daily resort fee of $50.

"For clarification purposes, the daily charge is not a resort fee. The additional charges associated with the stay currently include mandatory gratuities and a utility service fee per person per day. The amount can vary by unit type by building. These additional charges have always been in place at Atlantis."

ADDITIONAL CHARGES:

Guests of Atlantis, Harborside Resort, The Cove and The Reef Atlantis are subject to an 20% charge per night that includes taxes, the Paradise Island Tourism and Development Association levy, the Nassau Paradise Island Promotion Board levy and compensation for servicing your reservation. In addition, guests will be required to pay a mandatory gratuity and utility service fee of (i) up to $25.95 per person per day depending on unit type for Atlantis guests, (ii) up to $20.70 per person per day depending on unit type for Harborside Resort guests, and (iii) up to $65.95 per person per day depending on unit type for The Cove or The Reef Atlantis guests. If you purchase a pre-paid package these charges are already included in your package price. If you do not purchase a pre-paid package, these charges will be assessed upon check out at the property. Please be advised that all mandatory gratuities, taxes, levies and service fees are subject to change.

As of 01-Jan-2015, In addition to the previous 20% tax on room rate and purchases, there is an additional VAT of 7.5%, 12%* (as of July 1, 2018), making a total tax on room rate and purchases of 37.5%. This also applies to additional adult fees (for more than two person ages 12 and older staying in the same room), but does not apply to the mandatory gratuity and utility fees. https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/05/30/vat-hike-to-12-percent/
*If you booked prior to the VAT increase, you should be able to have the original 7.5% VAT honored. https://thenassauguardian.com/2018/06/07/hotels-and-resorts-allowed-to-honor-prior-bookings-at-7-5-vat/

Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas participates in Marriott Rewards as follows:
- Points or Miles may be earned for reservations booked through www.marriott.com/atlantis or by calling 1-855-696-4732.
- Points or Miles will not be earned and Points cannot be redeemed for reservations booked through Atlantis Paradise Vacations, Atlantis.com, or AtlantisBahamas.com.
- Reward booking can be done online from Marriott website. You can also book stays with points advance (borrow points). The cancellation policy is normally 14 days in advance. Points may be redeemed for stays only by calling 1-855-696-4732. At this time, redemption stays cannot be booked online.
Print Wikipost

Atlantis, Bahamas an Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kyden
I can't comment on the hotel portion of Atlantis, but I was one of those "cruise ship passengers" that people are discussing on here. We paid $140 each for a 5 hr stay at Atlantis for the Aqua Adventure waterpark option. Not only did we have to stand in line to pay for an overpriced locker, we noticed that pipes were leaking on some rides, someone commented that the waterpark "smelled", the lines were long due to 4 ships being in port that day, and the areas around the shark tank slides had cracked and dirty glass.

Never will I visit there again. I too, got a sleeziness factor from the staff while there, and I wasn't even a hotel guest. We had vouchers for lunch and while the voucher clearly stated that we were entitled to a conch meal, they were "out". I mean really?

Since returning from vacation I answer questions from people all the time about Atlantis. If I have one thing to say to them, it is that Atlantis is nothing like the commercials make it out to be. It is way worse.
I'm with you.

Bruce
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
140 dollars for 5 hours a water park? We paid less than that for a season pass to our local wp.
Oh believe me, I know. I live quite close to our local water park which pales in comparison, but it was still extremely overpriced. I understand the cruise line needs to get a portion somehow, but I would never recommend that someone from a cruise ship take this "excursion".

If I was an Atlantis hotel guest, I would check which ships are in port that day and make plans accordingly. Each cruise ship brings a large group of willing victims/passengers each and every visit!

Oh and as a Marriott guest from time to time, I can't believe that they associate themselves with this place. We walked through one of the hotel hallways and it smelled damp/like a cheap Las Vegas hotel. Ew.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Are river rapids worth potentially paying several hundred $$ in various fees?

Cheers.
Thanks. No, I don't think it's worth hundreds in fees. It's just that I wasn't familiar with another hotel that had similar water attractions.

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Go to Costa Rica. They have nice MR resorts and plenty of options for whitewater rafting.

--Jon
I've heard great things about Costa Rica. That said, it's a bit further away...and whitewater rafting is quite a bit more extreme than a controlled jaunt around a chlorinated lap pool.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Go to Orlando and hit one of the Disney or Universal water parks. You'll save money and probably enjoy the visit a lot more. And I suspect there are other Marriott's close by other water parks as well.
I've never been to the Disney or Universal water parks. Will have to look into those options. Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Paying at Atlantis with Chase Marriott / RC Card

FYI for those of you who have stayed at Atlantis and paid with the Chase Marriott or Ritz Carlton Rewards Card. These stays are posting at 1 point per dollar rather than 5 points per dollar.

A few secure messages later to Chase and they agreed to credit the remaining 4 points per dollar, but it was a bit of a hassle. Check your statements.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Good grief! Yet another reason not to stay at Atlantis. How many do we need?

Bruce
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:40 pm

Updates on Atlantis.

We are booked for Xmas 2015. Booked it back in Jan.
Original taxes and fees were $293.30 for two adults and 2 kids and now it's $514.50 for the two adults only and the kids need to pay extra $5 per child per night as gratuity.
my reservation was updated to the new rate but i called while they checked with the resort and said that as long as i don't make any changes to the booking the old price will remain, it's a good thing i checked as i wanted to add the meal plan and was told that would mean a change and i will have about $300 extra in Taxes.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Good grief! Yet another reason not to stay at Atlantis. How many do we need?

Bruce
And yet another (just above) !!!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:00 am

We returned from a 6 night stay at Atlantis Royal Towers last week. We booked this a while back when it became a Marriott property and booked it completely on points. My husband is platinum, we booked a terrace view room, and were upgraded to ocean view on arrival. Tried for a suite, but they were not budging on that,

Here is my review:
-We had issues before we left about them changing the fees, etc on our reservation. My husband called Marriott and were assured we would only be charged the original fees that were given to us when we booked. (The fees had increased from approximately $250 to $1000, so we were obviously concerned)
We talked with the check in agent at the hotel and she also assured us we would be charged the original fees if that is what Marriott has said. We had no issues on our bill and were charged the correct amount. I was very relieved, You can check the charges to your room on the TV which we did a few times just to make sure we had no surprises at checkout
-Our luggage arrived to our room within 10 minutes of checking in
-We requested a fridge for our room ($15/day) and it arrived within an hour of us checking in. (We were already at the pool when it came, but it was plugged in and cool when we got back to the room)
-Our safe would not open one day and security came immediately to fix the problem (within 5 minutes)
-Wi-fi worked pretty good, no major issues (and it was free due to our Marriott status)
-Food is expensive, but I felt it was similar to Grand Cayman or the Marriott's in Maui where we have stayed. Even the JW Marriott in San Antonio is pretty pricey. We were prepared for that and felt they were standard Marriott resort prices. We brought snacks from home for our kids, stopped by the grocery store for water and mixers for our drinks, ate lunch poolside, and ate dinner at the Marina. All of the food was good.
-Lines on the slides are longer when multiple cruise ships are in. We just went to the beach (Cove beach is the best) or swam in one of the many pools when the lines were long
-My only complaint was them closing the slides for hours one day when we had lightening. They didn't open things up for a long time and it went on way too long. Also, some slides were closed daily. They never had all the slides running on any of the days we were there. When we asked the lifeguards about it, they didn't really care. I think it was staffing and they way island life/work is in the Bahamas.
-Customer service inside the hotel, restaurants, shops was great/friendly. Customer service in the water park restaurants was good, but the lifeguards were pretty bad. They did not care about any complaints and I don't know how many of them were actually "lifeguarding". They seemed to be relaxing or just talking to each other. Now, there were a handful of them that I saw that were great and helping people. I'm hoping in time that Marriott will improve this and I plan on letting them know the concerns for the waterpark
-Overall, it was great and the water park has amazing slides/experiences. We would go back in a few years and were lucky we did not have any major problems as others have had.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Glad someone had a good stay!

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Roy Gal
We are booked for Xmas 2015. Booked it back in Jan.
Original taxes and fees were $293.30 for two adults and 2 kids and now it's $514.50 for the two adults only and the kids need to pay extra $5 per child per night as gratuity.
my reservation was updated to the new rate but i called while they checked with the resort and said that as long as i don't make any changes to the booking the old price will remain, it's a good thing i checked as i wanted to add the meal plan and was told that would mean a change and i will have about $300 extra in Taxes.
We are also headed in December
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:40 pm

Stayed here for the Battle 4 Atlantis basketball tournament and definitely wouldn't recommend it. There are better places to go if you are planning a trip to the Caribbean. Over-priced rooms and food (that isn't even very good). Might be okay with kids, but look elsewhere first.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Has anyone stayed at the Beach or Corral Towers? Are the fees different between the Cove? Thats what it seems like from the website. It seems like staying at the Corral is better than the Cove for fees. I'm looking at using 4 nights of points with the 5th free.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
point redemption at Atlantis

we are looking into trip to Atlantis this spring. Staying at Coral towers for 6 nights is 175000 points + $1000 in resort charges for the 6 nights. This includes $50 per night for my 12 and 13 year old who are considered "extra adult" (a bit shocking). Is it worth staying at Coral towers, using 175000 in points +1000$, or should we just stay at Comfort suites for $1650 and this includes breakfast... confused!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
First, welcome to Flyertalk! Second, stay somewhere else. From all reports, Atlantis isn't worth the extra $$, especially if you're talking $1K. You can find other Marriott places that don't require such an onerous fee or even one at all. But if you do decide to stay at Atlantis, hopefully someone can come along to answer your question. FWIW - I'd probably do the Comfort Suites, but you lose Marriott points. But if the Comfort Suites has a frequent stay program, then certainly sign up for it. Have a great trip wherever you stay.

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:55 pm

Looking to go here for a quick getaway. Flying from Miami so it's cheap for me to get there. 4 adults coming all family and would be sharing a room.

They quoted me at the Cove 45,000 per night and 2 upgrade certificates per night, which run 5,000 per night each. Essentially they are bumping this hotel into a category above the rest at 55,000 per night for a total of 220,000 per stay for me. On top of this they are going to charge me 50$ per person per night for fees and 27% tax?

I'm looking at 1000$+ and 220,000 in Marriott points for a long weekend stay here. .07 cpm @ 220,000 = 1540+1000 ... 2,500+ for a 4 night stay, and that's splitting a room with 4 adults.

Are there any secrets here ? Seems absurd...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.