Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Wanted to give an update on our trip: it was great!

We started off in a luxury suite (i.e., junior suite), but were offered an upgrade to a Grand Oceanfront Suite for $80/night. We took the offer and are so glad we did. With that being said, there was no budging from the hotel perspective about it being free - they said their policy is to only upgrade standard rooms to premium rooms for Plat members and that next best room upgrades don't apply for suites...i found this to be a bit cheeseball as that is obviously a very self-serving change to general Marriott policy that disenfranchises the highest status customers.

It was our 10 year anniversary and when they brought up our Platinum welcome gift (2 beers and a small fruit/cheese plate), they also brought a bottle of champagne - so that was nice!

The property was really nicely laid out and overall the staff was very friendly. The was never a situation when we couldn't get a desired hut/table on the beach - even if you showed up at noon. That was refreshing.

We would stay here again although the property is showing its age somewhat, so current / upcoming renovations are welcome.

One side note, my wife and i debated heavily about doing Club 91 room vs non-Club suite because in the past we have been doing CLub levels at the Ritz quite a bit. In this case, we were really glad to NOT have gone the Club route.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update - and happy anniversary!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:51 am

Does this property have an all-inclusive meal plan add on that you can purchase at check in?

And what are the five meal presentations at club91? Appetizers or proper meals?

Thanks!

Last edited by whistler814; Jun 28, 2017 at 5:59 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by whistler814
Does this property have an all-inclusive meal plan add on that you can purchase at check in?

And what are the five meal presentations at club91? Appetizers or proper meals?

Thanks!
It wasn't offered. If you want the 'all inclusive' experience, both JW and Ritz want you to do the Club IMO.

We specifically chose to not do Club 91 since there are so many options in Cancun for food and once you choose the Club you are kinda linked to it. From my experience in the Ritz Club, the breakfast is full-fledged deliciousness and the lunch is also a full lunch, but the evening spread is more appetizer-ish, but if you really like those apps, easy to fill up.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:15 pm

We just booked a 7 night stay here for next year and added the Club 91.We liked the ability to get food up there almost anytime and the free drinks didn't hurt either. We are planning on some meals out to try the restaurants around the hotel as well. The website said that they do a different dinner spread each night based on the restaurants in the hotel, asian,mexican,etc. for variety

ETA: I emailed the hotel if we should book ahead of time or wait until we got there as we were still deciding and was told that the cost is a lot more than just booking it ahead of time something like 125 a night vs 250 at check-in. Not sure if that is true or just a hard sell for the Club level, but we went ahead and prebooked it.

Last edited by AtlLhr; Jun 28, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by AtlLhr
We just booked a 7 night stay here for next year and added the Club 91.We liked the ability to get food up there almost anytime and the free drinks didn't hurt either. We are planning on some meals out to try the restaurants around the hotel as well. The website said that they do a different dinner spread each night based on the restaurants in the hotel, asian,mexican,etc. for variety

ETA: I emailed the hotel if we should book ahead of time or wait until we got there as we were still deciding and was told that the cost is a lot more than just booking it ahead of time something like 125 a night vs 250 at check-in. Not sure if that is true or just a hard sell for the Club level, but we went ahead and prebooked it.
I'm sure it will be great! We had a car and wanted to go explore the area (which we did)....really depends on the goals for the trip - I personally don't think there is a wrong way to go. As mentioned above, we ended up in a Grand Oceanfront Suite. Not sure if these panorama pics will do it justice, but it was really great room.

welcome gift
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Just made a 7 night booking over Christmas (2018). Two adults, two kids (2 and 12), one room. I'm getting conflicting information from associates at Marriott central reservations and Marriott Rewards. I've been told twice that we would have to pay a per person charge for Club 91. Does that sound right? Should I call the hotel directly to book Club 91 at a more preferable right? Can I pay to use the club for just half the trip?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:46 pm

I will be staying at the JW Cancun this March. I have been trying to find an email to use for several request. Anyone has an email?

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by vivrant
Just made a 7 night booking over Christmas (2018). Two adults, two kids (2 and 12), one room. I'm getting conflicting information from associates at Marriott central reservations and Marriott Rewards. I've been told twice that we would have to pay a per person charge for Club 91. Does that sound right? Should I call the hotel directly to book Club 91 at a more preferable right? Can I pay to use the club for just half the trip?
Just got back from Cancun a few weeks ago -- our second stay at Club 91.

The upgrade fee covers 2 adults in the room, you will likely have to pay extra only for your 12 year old:

Special Packages

Upgrade your vacation to our Club level, for a daily fee of $250 USD + Tax, valid for two adults and two children(younger than 6 years old).

Children between 6 years old and 12 years old pay $75USD + tax per day per children. Children from 13 to 17 years old will be charged at $100USD + tax per children per night Every additional adult has a fee of $125 USD + tax per adult per night

If you are a Marriott Reward member let our front desk agent know, and they will explain to you all the different options you have to get an unforgettable Club 91 vacation.

Luxury Cancun Resort | Club 91 by JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by carlosr
I will be staying at the JW Cancun this March. I have been trying to find an email to use for several request. Anyone has an email?

Thanks
Sent you info in a private message
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by mmayer
Sent you info in a private message

Can you send me as well? Will be staying in a month or so.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We just finished a (5) night stay on a travel package. Upgraded to a premium ocean view room. Offered Club 91 at $250/night we declined. Interesting that when booking a point stay, they offer 91 at $150/night upgrade. Anyway.....

We had a wonderful stay. Perfect weather. The service outstanding at every opportunity. Restaurants, poolside, front desk etc. One thing that was an issue...the hotel was sold out...and their were major elevator problems. 2 of the 4 were out of service for 3 nights. One time, people were stuck-pounding on the doors to be released. Waiting got so bad, their was a revolt and guests started using the service elevators.

We had great breakfasts at Sedona Grill each morning...poolside lunches and dinners different places. All excellent. Drinks at the lobby bar were great. Some drinks mixed table side.

Mgmt did all they could to mitigate, and I truly understand these things happen.

Would go back again in a minute--but we are waiting until June.

I would highly recommend this place.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We just finished a (5) night stay on a travel package. Upgraded to a premium ocean view room. Offered Club 91 at $250/night we declined. Interesting that when booking a point stay, they offer 91 at $150/night upgrade. Anyway.....

We had a wonderful stay. Perfect weather. The service outstanding at every opportunity. Restaurants, poolside, front desk etc. One thing that was an issue...the hotel was sold out...and their were major elevator problems. 2 of the 4 were out of service for 3 nights. One time, people were stuck-pounding on the doors to be released. Waiting got so bad, their was a revolt and guests started using the service elevators.

We had great breakfasts at Sedona Grill each morning...poolside lunches and dinners different places. All excellent. Drinks at the lobby bar were great. Some drinks mixed table side.

Mgmt did all they could to mitigate, and I truly understand these things happen.

Would go back again in a minute--but we are waiting until June.

I would highly recommend this place.
We have an upcoming stay in a few weeks in a premium ocean view room. We also used a 5 night TP and upgraded. Do you happen to know if the room renovations are complete?

Thanks for the heads up on the elevators. Hopefully, they will be repaired before our stay.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Southdown13
We have an upcoming stay in a few weeks in a premium ocean view room. We also used a 5 night TP and upgraded. Do you happen to know if the room renovations are complete?

Thanks for the heads up on the elevators. Hopefully, they will be repaired before our stay.
They are def. not complete. We heard work being done on the floor above us-our room was not renovated. Have a great time! The note on the hotel web page say they will continue through the year:

Please note - Guest rooms will be under renovation April 16-December 15 2018. Work will be isolated, but construction noise may be heard between 9am-7pm on some days.
Southdown13 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
One thing that was an issue...the hotel was sold out...and their were major elevator problems. 2 of the 4 were out of service for 3 nights. One time, people were stuck-pounding on the doors to be released. Waiting got so bad, their was a revolt and guests started using the service elevators.
Ah, yes, forgot about that. There were issues with the elevators the third week of January. Heard tell of one of the elevators getting stuck occasionally. Another would not go to the top two floors -- get in and push button, nothing would happen. Also, one of the "Beach" elevators seemed out of service, only one of the two ever arrived.

As noted, it seems renovations will be on-going this entire year. It is pretty extensive, including new doors and hallway work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.