Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by roaming_indian
Going there this August for 5 nights. Super excited. Booked a Premium room and Club 91 and applied SNA for the Grand Ocean front suite. Hope it comes through and the weather stays nice🤞
Please let us know your impressions, I am going in September and have no current input on this property.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Originally Posted by danola
I found some Six year old comments that don’t give me a warm and fuzzy about the current state of the JW. I also would like some insight on Club 91 (I read the Marriott pitch) and want to know if it’s worth the extra expense, more room amenities, better floors. They say five food presentations, such as ? Sounds like a Ritz Carlton Club level, is it ? Any help will be appreciated.
We did a 5 night stay December 4-9 2022. Booked a 5 night point stay king ocean front club 91 ($100 a day cash add for the Club 91 for 2 persons) and used SNA's to upgrade to one bedroom ocean front suite. Our original cost Our overall experience was outstanding. The Club 91 offerings included a full bar (supposedly bar only open 6-10pm, but in practice all day long), with fair to excellent food offerings multiple times per day. Other than a poolside lunch one day, we took all our meals at Club 91. Service in the club was outstanding. We are not heavy drinkers -- maybe one cocktail a day, and we still found the Club 91 to be an excellent value add. We are returning again this December and hoping for a similar experience.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Delta
Like everyone else

Seems like the arrival offer for titanium members is a deep secret. Apparently there is a reduced rate at check in (below the standard 250 pd). I’d probably go $80-100 for the two of us. We’ll see I would imagine we’d spend that on food otherwise. Any titanium’s recently show up and get a decent offer?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DougB23114
Seems like the arrival offer for titanium members is a deep secret. Apparently there is a reduced rate at check in (below the standard 250 pd). I’d probably go $80-100 for the two of us. We’ll see I would imagine we’d spend that on food otherwise. Any titanium’s recently show up and get a decent offer?
I was there two weeks ago and got access to Club 91 for $150 for the two of us per day for three days, that was rock bottom, they would not go below that. It was well worth it, I did the rest at the restaurant for four more days. There was a greater food variety at the restaurant, so I had the opportunity to compare. The three meals a day at the Club were wonderful but probably too much for the waist line. The rest of the on site restaurants were superior as well and they constantly recognize your Titanium status and bring extras to your table. One of the best resorts I have ever been.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 5:19 am

Programs: Marriott Delta
Club 91

The add on, specifically for elite members seems to be seasonal as for the cost. We paid 125 day to add it. The real deal was 128k points for 4 nights (and had I been able to, o would have stayed the 5th night free) and we got the grand ocean front suite. So far so good!
Illinwu likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:09 pm

Issues with JW Marriott Cancun, sanity check.

So I’m at a JW Marriott in Cancun. And the problems seem endless. Great to get a sanity check on this.

this is my review I wrote on google. They did comp me by giving back my resort fee and 30k points due to amenities and toilet issues. then another issue arose with not having hot water and having to change evening plans that left me beyond frustrated. I’m also a titanium but not sure that matters. All said and done I just want a night comped back or something, feels like I’ve been just lied for most of the stay as I came here for vacation and it being a jw thought it would be good.

My current stay at the "JW Marriott" was a far cry from the luxury experience I had anticipated. The failure to disclose ongoing renovations, the closure of the restaurant, and the additional amenity fee for subpar services left me feeling unsatisfied and deceived. When you add a leaking toilet and a shower with no cold water into the mix, the experience becomes downright unacceptable. It's essential for a hotel of this supposed caliber to be transparent about its current conditions and to deliver on its promises. I cannot recommend this hotel in its current state and advise potential guests to look elsewhere for a truly luxurious experience. To be clear normal Marriott's and even business hotels in general are better than this JW. This is unlike other JW's I've been too, this is in name only.

First and foremost, there was no prior disclosure in the welcome email or at the front desk that the property was undergoing extensive renovations. With it listing closed amenities that were under renovation since July based on other reviews I've seen, with no actions taken to address the matter, is updating a welcome email that hard?

To make matters worse, the bathroom in my room was plagued with issues. The toilet had a persistent leaking problem, which took over 12 hours (reported at 11am and took til 11pm) to fix after being told repeatedly that someone was going to take care of it right away. Waiting for the engineering staff to fix your washroom before you can go to bed and use your washroom is quite an interesting experience I've never had before, as it was the 5th time I had to go request for it to be dealt with. Additionally, the shower had no cold water, so dinner plans had to be rearranged while smelling like the ocean as we waited for the shower to be fixed. These issues compounded my growing list of disappointments during my stay.

One of the most significant letdowns was the closure of the hotel's restaurant. Imagine my surprise when, after a long day of travel, I was informed that the on-site restaurant, which was supposed to be a highlight of my stay, was closed for renovations. This left me with limited dining options, forcing me to explore other establishments in the area. Even when ordering room service on the Marriott App, it turned into an illusion as it does not even accept the saved card on file for the stay.

Adding insult to injury, I was charged an amenity fee for services that were nothing short of disappointing. The enhanced internet promised was anything but enhanced, as the connection was excruciatingly slow with dropped video calls and slow loading. As a traveler who relies on a reliable internet connection, this was a major inconvenience. The promise of luxurious pools was shattered when I discovered that they were located right next to active construction zones. The noise and dust from the ongoing renovations made it impossible to relax and enjoy the adult only pool area. It was far from the serene oasis I had expected. Furthermore, the hotel advertised tennis courts as one of its amenities, but I was left disappointed and frustrated. I had to request to have it removed from the folio.

The only saving grace is one of the front desk staff members by the name of Fernanda was amazing. A life vest in a sea of disappointment.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by danola
I was there two weeks ago and got access to Club 91 for $150 for the two of us per day for three days, that was rock bottom, they would not go below that. It was well worth it, I did the rest at the restaurant for four more days. There was a greater food variety at the restaurant, so I had the opportunity to compare. The three meals a day at the Club were wonderful but probably too much for the waist line. The rest of the on site restaurants were superior as well and they constantly recognize your Titanium status and bring extras to your table. One of the best resorts I have ever been.
This is good to know. Club 91 is tempting but I am trying to reduce my weight :-) I have successfully lowed my BMI from 25.5 to 23.

The add on, specifically for elite members seems to be seasonal as for the cost. We paid 125 day to add it. The real deal was 128k points for 4 nights (and had I been able to, o would have stayed the 5th night free) and we got the grand ocean front suite. So far so good!
Congrats to your upgrade. Grand Ocean View Suite is indeed GRAND! We got SNA cleared to that before.

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
We did a 5 night stay December 4-9 2022. Booked a 5 night point stay king ocean front club 91 ($100 a day cash add for the Club 91 for 2 persons) and used SNA's to upgrade to one bedroom ocean front suite. Our original cost Our overall experience was outstanding. The Club 91 offerings included a full bar (supposedly bar only open 6-10pm, but in practice all day long), with fair to excellent food offerings multiple times per day. Other than a poolside lunch one day, we took all our meals at Club 91. Service in the club was outstanding. We are not heavy drinkers -- maybe one cocktail a day, and we still found the Club 91 to be an excellent value add. We are returning again this December and hoping for a similar experience.
Good to hear this. We are staying at JW for 5 nights tomorrow. :-)

Originally Posted by pixel_landsa
So I’m at a JW Marriott in Cancun. And the problems seem endless. Great to get a sanity check on this.

this is my review I wrote on google. They did comp me by giving back my resort fee and 30k points due to amenities and toilet issues. then another issue arose with not having hot water and having to change evening plans that left me beyond frustrated. I’m also a titanium but not sure that matters. All said and done I just want a night comped back or something, feels like I’ve been just lied for most of the stay as I came here for vacation and it being a jw thought it would be good.

My current stay at the "JW Marriott" was a far cry from the luxury experience I had anticipated. The failure to disclose ongoing renovations, the closure of the restaurant, and the additional amenity fee for subpar services left me feeling unsatisfied and deceived. When you add a leaking toilet and a shower with no cold water into the mix, the experience becomes downright unacceptable. It's essential for a hotel of this supposed caliber to be transparent about its current conditions and to deliver on its promises. I cannot recommend this hotel in its current state and advise potential guests to look elsewhere for a truly luxurious experience. To be clear normal Marriott's and even business hotels in general are better than this JW. This is unlike other JW's I've been too, this is in name only.

First and foremost, there was no prior disclosure in the welcome email or at the front desk that the property was undergoing extensive renovations. With it listing closed amenities that were under renovation since July based on other reviews I've seen, with no actions taken to address the matter, is updating a welcome email that hard?

To make matters worse, the bathroom in my room was plagued with issues. The toilet had a persistent leaking problem, which took over 12 hours (reported at 11am and took til 11pm) to fix after being told repeatedly that someone was going to take care of it right away. Waiting for the engineering staff to fix your washroom before you can go to bed and use your washroom is quite an interesting experience I've never had before, as it was the 5th time I had to go request for it to be dealt with. Additionally, the shower had no cold water, so dinner plans had to be rearranged while smelling like the ocean as we waited for the shower to be fixed. These issues compounded my growing list of disappointments during my stay.

One of the most significant letdowns was the closure of the hotel's restaurant. Imagine my surprise when, after a long day of travel, I was informed that the on-site restaurant, which was supposed to be a highlight of my stay, was closed for renovations. This left me with limited dining options, forcing me to explore other establishments in the area. Even when ordering room service on the Marriott App, it turned into an illusion as it does not even accept the saved card on file for the stay.

Adding insult to injury, I was charged an amenity fee for services that were nothing short of disappointing. The enhanced internet promised was anything but enhanced, as the connection was excruciatingly slow with dropped video calls and slow loading. As a traveler who relies on a reliable internet connection, this was a major inconvenience. The promise of luxurious pools was shattered when I discovered that they were located right next to active construction zones. The noise and dust from the ongoing renovations made it impossible to relax and enjoy the adult only pool area. It was far from the serene oasis I had expected. Furthermore, the hotel advertised tennis courts as one of its amenities, but I was left disappointed and frustrated. I had to request to have it removed from the folio.

The only saving grace is one of the front desk staff members by the name of Fernanda was amazing. A life vest in a sea of disappointment.

Sorry for your experience. Just found out your post. They gave back the resort fee plus 30K points? Did you use points to book your stay?

We have stayed at JW multiple times and always had a good experience. SNA always worked (upgraded to Grand Suite and JW Suite, respectively).

We are going to JW tomorrow for 5 nights and SNA cleared to the Caribbean Suite with an ocean view.

JW sent us a welcome email, but there is no mentioning of any ongoing construction and restaurant closure. On the contrarily, the email lists all the restaurants.

We would be super disappointed and annoyed if indeed on site restaurants are not available.

See email below.

Your post is getting us nervous. Will report back.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I booked an initial night with Club 91 to see how things had changed since we stayed ~5 years ago before deciding if I'd commit for all 3 nights of my short weekend getaway. After a few hours, I was eager to leave and as a Hyatt Globalist (vs. Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium) the Hyatt experience over at the Dreams Vista is far better for a similar points value.

First, they've removed Club 91 check in they previously offered as part of the amenities, so arriving was not a pleasant experience. There was a 30 minute wait after which another angry guest was pestering the check in agent over some other issue. Turned out they couldn't provide me with late check out because they had upgraded me to a JW Suite. When I said I'd be fine with the Club 91 room I booked, they admitted they didn't have any available -- so it seems they are selling Club 91 via points when they don't have any actual Club 91 rooms (this used to mean rooms on that level which apparently have better amenities in room). Heading to Club 91 for "dinner" was chaos -- the place was packed with many families with kids, barely any place to sit and the small staff had a hard time keeping up. I was never offered a drink as they had their hands full just cleaning up plates constantly but I did ask for one and they made a nice mocktail for me.

Edited to add: There was no separate Bonvoy Elite check in area. The doorman said "everyone is Bonvoy Elite" Maybe at least a Titanium/Ambassador line?

As other had mentioned, the Resort Fee here is a joke and Club 91 bookings at least should definitely be exempt. I asked about activities (workout classes) at the gym and was informed that there were none on weekends (I was visiting for Friday-Monday). The Tennis Court on the list of resort fee amenities was closed. The "spa scrub" was fully booked until Monday (a 5-10 minute hand treatment). The 2 snacks provided in the room were a snickers bar and some nuts. Breakfast at Club 91 was a bit better because I waited until 10am to show up, and the omelette station guy admitted it was chaos from 7-10. Oddly, they started packing up the breakfast without a warning closer to 10:15, which was disappointing since it was supposed to be served until 10:30am.

The staff in the Club were friendly enough, but it appears the hotel is upselling access beyond just what used to be Club 91 rooms specifically and as a result they can't develop the personal relationships that I remember were more a part of the experience in the past (airport transfer also used to be included). The Spa access is great -- a very nice facility and hardly anyone seemed to use it.

However, the overall value was not there for over 90,000 Bonvoy points. This isn't too far off how much the wonderful Al Maha or Maldives properties charge per night -- for vastly superior service, inclusions and amenities. The beach is beautiful, but other than that, I won't consider the JW again. As discussed upthread, I suggest saving your points for a true luxury property elsewhere in the world and pay a cash rate at an all-inclusive nearby instead to access the same beach.
dgreen12 and Illinwu like this.

Last edited by mikeyyz; Nov 26, 2023 at 4:28 pm
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
5 Stay December 4-9, brief review

Mr. Tours and I just returned from a 5 night stay December 4-9. We booked a premium ocean view with Club 91 for $2350 all in, with $50 daily resort credit. Suite night awards for upgrade to Carribean suite granted the day before arrival. Great suite, very spacious, good view. Club 91 was just as it was last year, wide selection of food multiple times per day and an open bar. Officially, the bar runs from 6pm to 10pm, but we saw people consuming alcohol as early as 8am. Service in Club 91 was outstanding. Weather was lovely, pool very nice. Even though the place was nearly sold out, never felt crowded or unable to find beach or pool chairs. The one disappointment is the outrageously priced spa (50 massage with tip would be $275).
Overall, a well run, relaxing resort.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:23 pm

Does anyone have the emaii address for the concierge (or front desk) at the JW Marriott Cancun? I received a pre-arrival email asking for our arrival details but the email address provided doesn't work! Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tonyh120
Does anyone have the emaii address for the concierge (or front desk) at the JW Marriott Cancun? I received a pre-arrival email asking for our arrival details but the email address provided doesn't work! Thanks.
There’s one in the wiki. They should be able to answer your question or refer you to someone who can. Good luck.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott, United, Jetblue
Does the Club allow children?, if so is it restricted to certain times and what is the fee?
Old Apr 17, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat
4-Night Redemption Stay

Just finished a 4-night redemption stay at the JW. Overall enjoyed the experience, although not sure if straying away from AI is the way to go in Cancun.
  • Loved the pool area. Chairs filled up quickly in the morning, but it was also wonderful for swims or hot tub soaks in the evening when nobody was around. Beach had nice chairs under umbrellas that were much less crowded than the pool.
  • The housekeeping was incredible. I felt like I would put up the 'please makeup my room' sign and it would be done within an hour or two. This was both for morning cleaning and evening turndown service.
  • Selected breakfast as welcome gift. Limited to certain items at the buffet ($12/person upgrade available) with access to omelet station which was good.
  • You will be paying handsomely for food and drink. Standard drinks by the pool ran around $18 USD. Service was fast and easy.
  • Got no value out of the $45/day Resort Fee amenities.
  • Club91 upgrade never offered.
  • During check in the agent mentioned they had an upgraded room available. Thought this was going to be a complimentary upgrade, but he then mentioned a $139/night charge which he proceeded to drop to $109/night after seeing that I was a Platinum member. I politely declined.
  • Definitely take a trip down the main road to Don's Tacos for lunch or dinner one day.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ken C
Does the Club allow children?, if so is it restricted to certain times and what is the fee?
Yes, there's usually quite a few kids there, no time restrictions. $75-$100 per child per day depending on age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.