Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm currently talking to the concierge, so I strongly hope it does haha. I believe all Club91 level rooms include Club91 access, even if not specifically spelled out in the rate details. (And when I check my confirmation, I can upgrade to a Club91 suite for much less than the daily Club91-access fee). I've just shot off another e-mail to the concierge just to clarify though and I'll let you know once I get a response.

Secondly - Also asked the concierge if upgrades to Club91 suites are available for Platinum, will also let you know as soon as I hear back.
@Smiley90 please do let me know what you hear from the concierge/hotel!

Last edited by sesflyerday; Apr 7, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sesflyerday

@Smiley90 we’re getting the same price quote for a room on the Club91 floor but our rate does not include access to the Club91 lounge. Does your rate include lounge access?
if the room description says Club 91 floor, you get all of the privileges.

If any of you use Ebates, they have frequently been having 10% back on Marriott bookings. So on top of the great rate and $50 daily credit, I’m getting 10% cash back (on room rate, not inclusive of taxes).

Today it is only 2%, but they’ve had 10% almost weekly this winter. You still book direct via Marriott, just start at Ebates.

https://www.ebates.com/coupons/marri...rrq7IbqQ%3D%3D
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Also I wouldn’t bother with getting breakfast elsewhere - I got choice of breakfast, dessert tray, or cheese/crackers/fruit tray - plus beverages (water, beers, wine) - or points. Amenity delivered to room st time I specified. I’m only Gold so Platinum options probably better!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by curl
Does anyone have email for the hotel? I contacted the Club 91 concierge via email and no response. Trip is not far out and no info from the hotel, particularly concerned about airport transportation which is included for Club 91.
Having the same issue of a very-slow responding concierge. Did you find a better contact-person?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Having the same issue of a very-slow responding concierge. Did you find a better contact-person?
I sent you a PM.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
Just checked in yesterday. To help Bungvoy elites who have an upcoming stay here, the property honors the upgrade policy in a "funny" way.

4.3.c ii. of the Bungvoy T&Cs provides, at pertinent part, "Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in." (emphasis mine)

My wife and I (traveling with our 3 young children) booked into the Club 91 level (the food spread, by the way, has been lovely so far). When we inquired about an upgrade, we were assured we'd been provided one. But the upgrade we were given was a room with an "enhanced" view with balcony. I'll represent to you that every room in this joint has a great view with balcony...there are no "lagoon" or "garden" view rooms.

On the Bungvoy app, they were still selling parlor suites (they call it the "Caribbean Suite" - it's a bedroom with a separate living area). My wife went through at least two levels of management at the front desk to be upgraded in accordance with the unambiguous terms of the program. The best they would do to upgrade us to one of the available Caribbean Suites with an up-charge of about $500 for the entire stay. I spoke to Marriott CSR (I'm on vacation, so I thought I'd waste my time). She apparently called the property and then got back onto the line and advocated on behalf of the property. You see, the property only makes "available" enhanced view rooms as an upgrade for elites. This seems like a not-so-sneaky away around giving elites a complimentary upgrade -- especially when they claimed they would have given us the suite if we had applied SNAs in advance. If it's "available" for purposes of a SNA, then it should be available for a complimentary upgrade.

Sweaty, tired, and ready to get our vacation started, we begrudgingly took the $500 up-charge and moved into the suite. But this is another nail in the coffin for Marriott's and my relationship. They have to get these properties under control.

So, moral of the story, this property *does not* honor the upgrade T&Cs -- be aware if you have a stay planned here. Doing it over, I would have bought three interconnecting rooms for less money at the Westin Resort & Spa (or just moved over to the Hyatt Ziva and not had a bad taste in my mouth).

Last edited by DAYflier; Apr 15, 2019 at 6:00 am
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by DAYflier
Just checked in yesterday. To help Bungvoy elites who have an upcoming stay here, the property honors the upgrade policy in a "funny" way.

4.3.c ii. of the Bungvoy T&Cs provides, at pertinent part, "Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in." (emphasis mine)

My wife and I (traveling with our 3 young children) booked into the Club 91 level (the food spread, by the way, has been lovely so far). When we inquired about an upgrade, we were assured we'd been provided one. But the upgrade we were given was a room with an "enhanced" view with balcony. I'll represent to you that every room in this joint has a great view with balcony...there are no "lagoon" or "garden" view rooms.

On the Bungvoy app, they were still selling parlor suites. My wife went through at least two levels of management at the front desk to be upgraded in accordance with the unambiguous terms of the program. The best they would do to upgrade us to one of the available parlor suites with an up-charge of about $500 for the entire stay. I spoke to Marriott CSR (I'm on vacation, so I thought I'd waste my time). She apparently called the property and then got back onto the line and advocated on behalf of the property. You see, the property only makes "available" enhanced view rooms as an upgrade for elites. This seems like a not-so-sneaky away around giving elites a complimentary upgrade -- especially when they claimed they would have given us the suite if we had applied SNAs in advance. If it's "available" for purposes of a SNA, then it should be available for a complimentary upgrade.

Sweaty, tired, and ready to get our vacation started, we begrudgingly took the $500 up-charge and moved into the suite. But this is another nail in the coffin for Marriott's and my relationship. They have to get these properties under control.

So, moral of the story, this property *does not* honor the upgrade T&Cs -- be aware if you have a stay planned here. Doing it over, I would have bought three interconnecting rooms for less money at the Westin Resort & Spa (or just moved over to the Hyatt Ziva and not had a bad taste in my mouth).
This is just outrageous since you've already paid for a Club 91 level room.

You definitely need to escalate this with Marriott. I would call back and ask for a supervisor. You're entitled to the up-charge being refunded.

Marriott confirmed to @gleff at View from the Wing that a resort has to give you a suite upgrade for free if a suite is available.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...acaste-resort/
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by curl

if the room description says Club 91 floor, you get all of the privileges.

If any of you use Ebates, they have frequently been having 10% back on Marriott bookings. So on top of the great rate and $50 daily credit, I’m getting 10% cash back (on room rate, not inclusive of taxes).

Today it is only 2%, but they’ve had 10% almost weekly this winter. You still book direct via Marriott, just start at Ebates.

https://www.ebates.com/coupons/marri...rrq7IbqQ%3D%3D
This is not necessarily true in my experience. I've stayed on the Club 91 floor oceanfront, and not had Club 91 access. They offered it to me for an additional cost, and I declined.

I'm assuming I got the room because I had paid for a suite, and no other suites were available. My experience at this hotel is that you only get what you pay (or tip) for.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

You definitely need to escalate this with Marriott. I would call back and ask for a supervisor. You're entitled to the up-charge being refunded.

Marriott confirmed to @gleff at View from the Wing that a resort has to give you a suite upgrade for free if a suite is available.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...acaste-resort/
This is the property I was referring to in the other thread and it seems like someone ran into the exact same situation I was inquiring about!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by JW6130
My experience at this hotel is that you only get what you pay (or tip) for.
This is pretty much true for all of Mexico. I wonder if a $100 tip to the concierge or bellman would have gotten you a better room. I've never tipped the front desk clerks so I don't know if that's kosher, but tipping the concierge and bellman is totally legit.

The original poster should blast the property on Trip Advisor. If he is still on-property, I would ask for the general manager.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

This is pretty much true for all of Mexico. I wonder if a $100 tip to the concierge or bellman would have gotten you a better room. I've never tipped the front desk clerks so I don't know if that's kosher, but tipping the concierge and bellman is totally legit.

The original poster should blast the property on Trip Advisor. If he is still on-property, I would ask for the general manager.
I tip in Mexico like I tip in Las Vegas for a better room. Mostly directly to the check in person. At least with Mexico you can stuff more easily in the passport
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Gary Leff at View from the Wing picked this up. I disagree with him slightly because he says Marriott upgrades are limited to a "standard" suite when that's a legacy Starwood-thing:

Upgrades include standard suites, which ones those are though are determined by the hotel. You have to be a 75 night elite to get suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton but otherwise 50 night elites are entitled to available suites except at timeshare properties, Aloft, Element, and non-participating brands like Bvlgari.

​​​​​​​
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...but-its-risky/
I agree that theoretically a hotel could limit suite upgrades to only one physical suite in the entire hotel thereby ensuring there is never availability, but the old, legacy Starwood "standard" or "select" upgrade terminology does not appear in the terms and conditions of Marriott Bonvoy.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I spoke to Marriott CSR (I'm on vacation, so I thought I'd waste my time). She apparently called the property and then got back onto the line and advocated on behalf of the property. You see, the property only makes "available" enhanced view rooms as an upgrade for elites. This seems like a not-so-sneaky away around giving elites a complimentary upgrade -- especially when they claimed they would have given us the suite if we had applied SNAs in advance. If it's "available" for purposes of a SNA, then it should be available for a complimentary upgrade.
It's not just sneaky, it's a violation of the T&C.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club

Is there any chance there's an email contact? I haven't been on FT much lately...are the SPG lurkers still lurking?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Is there any chance there's an email contact? I haven't been on FT much lately...are the SPG lurkers still lurking?
try [email protected] but truth be told, they are hit or miss in being communicative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.