FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:53 am
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by DAYflier
Just checked in yesterday. To help Bungvoy elites who have an upcoming stay here, the property honors the upgrade policy in a "funny" way.

4.3.c ii. of the Bungvoy T&Cs provides, at pertinent part, "Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in." (emphasis mine)

My wife and I (traveling with our 3 young children) booked into the Club 91 level (the food spread, by the way, has been lovely so far). When we inquired about an upgrade, we were assured we'd been provided one. But the upgrade we were given was a room with an "enhanced" view with balcony. I'll represent to you that every room in this joint has a great view with balcony...there are no "lagoon" or "garden" view rooms.

On the Bungvoy app, they were still selling parlor suites. My wife went through at least two levels of management at the front desk to be upgraded in accordance with the unambiguous terms of the program. The best they would do to upgrade us to one of the available parlor suites with an up-charge of about $500 for the entire stay. I spoke to Marriott CSR (I'm on vacation, so I thought I'd waste my time). She apparently called the property and then got back onto the line and advocated on behalf of the property. You see, the property only makes "available" enhanced view rooms as an upgrade for elites. This seems like a not-so-sneaky away around giving elites a complimentary upgrade -- especially when they claimed they would have given us the suite if we had applied SNAs in advance. If it's "available" for purposes of a SNA, then it should be available for a complimentary upgrade.

Sweaty, tired, and ready to get our vacation started, we begrudgingly took the $500 up-charge and moved into the suite. But this is another nail in the coffin for Marriott's and my relationship. They have to get these properties under control.

So, moral of the story, this property *does not* honor the upgrade T&Cs -- be aware if you have a stay planned here. Doing it over, I would have bought three interconnecting rooms for less money at the Westin Resort & Spa (or just moved over to the Hyatt Ziva and not had a bad taste in my mouth).
This is just outrageous since you've already paid for a Club 91 level room.

You definitely need to escalate this with Marriott. I would call back and ask for a supervisor. You're entitled to the up-charge being refunded.

Marriott confirmed to @gleff at View from the Wing that a resort has to give you a suite upgrade for free if a suite is available.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...acaste-resort/