Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by MCI777
I'm staying at this property this weekend Oct 24-27. I used a combination of Certs and Points and applied SNA's. So far, we've been confirmed in the Caribbean Suite for Saturday and the Grand Ocean Suite for Sunday. Still waiting to for the confirmation of the SNA for Monday night but I believe it should be confirmed shortly. Looking forward to my stay!
I was under the impression that they would upgrade you to a single type for the entire stay. How did you find out that you have upgrades to Caribbean for Saturday and Grand Ocean Suite for Sunday?
I'm looking to go in mid-November. Please report back on how your experience was! Are they still capped at 50% capacity?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
I was under the impression that they would upgrade you to a single type for the entire stay. How did you find out that you have upgrades to Caribbean for Saturday and Grand Ocean Suite for Sunday?
I'm looking to go in mid-November. Please report back on how your experience was! Are they still capped at 50% capacity?
They are still at 50% capacity (I emailed the hotel earlier this week). I was able to get confirmed in different suites due to the fact I have three separate reservations (one for each day) since I used different cert or point instruments for each one. I got an email for each upgrade that "cleared" so to speak. I just received an email that they are working on my Monday SNA (from Marriott Bonvoy). Fingers crossed since there is only one Suite left (Grand Ocean Suite).

I will definitely report back!
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MCI777
I just received an email that they are working on my Monday SNA (from Marriott Bonvoy). Fingers crossed since there is only one Suite left (Grand Ocean Suite).

I will definitely report back!
Since William isn’t here, I’ll say what he used to say. The SNA availability has nothing to do with the online availability so don’t look there.

I can confirm that this has happened to me twice. Once at the St Regis FLR where they were showing zero suite available (middle of July, so not surprising) and yet my SNA cleared at 5 days out (very surprising) into a fabulous suite with huge outdoor terrace. My friend was arriving a day after me. No suites were showing available for his arrival date either, but he also cleared at 5 days out. His suite wasn’t as big or as nice as mine though.

I think the other property that I got a suite in spite of nothing showing up online was at the Sheraton Waikiki. I can’t remember exactly when it cleared but it was definitely several days before check-in.

Good luck though! I’d like to go to this property so would like your impression of the different suites.
MCI777 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:31 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Checking my upcoming December awards reservation here and noticed that my online reservation suddenly shows a Resort fee. I have the following showing:

"Please note – A daily resort fee of USD 28 plus tax will be added to the room rate and includes Internet, fitness classes and more!"

I just checked making another reservation there and neither the website nor the hotel webpage show a resort fee yet. I'm guessing this hotel is in the process of adding one. So if anyone is thinking of making a reservation, you might want to do it sooner rather than later (unless you want to take a chance on having to pay a resort fee on top of the nightly rate.) And check/keep your email receipt (or screen shot your reservation info) just in case they try to add the resort fee to already existing reservations.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Checking my upcoming December awards reservation here and noticed that my online reservation suddenly shows a Resort fee. I have the following showing:

"Please note – A daily resort fee of USD 28 plus tax will be added to the room rate and includes Internet, fitness classes and more!"

I just checked making another reservation there and neither the website nor the hotel webpage show a resort fee yet. I'm guessing this hotel is in the process of adding one. So if anyone is thinking of making a reservation, you might want to do it sooner rather than later (unless you want to take a chance on having to pay a resort fee on top of the nightly rate.) And check/keep your email receipt (or screen shot your reservation info) just in case they try to add the resort fee to already existing reservations.

I just noticed on my existing reservation as well.

My confirmation email has zero reference to daily resort fee but if I log-in to view my booking, it shows up.

Will be 100% contesting this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Same for my November reservations. I am too exhausted right now to send an email but if anyone can report back on challenging it, or if a Marriott Lurker could weigh in, that would be good.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Even our points reservations are showing the resort fee which wasn’t there before. Can we contest this since reservations were made back in August?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:44 pm

Yes, that was why I mentioned, ensuring you have your original email confirmation showing no resort fee or for those making reservations now, take a picture of your reservation showing no resort fee. If you have already made your reservation, but don't have either a picture of the original reservation screen or the original email (both showing no resort fee), then I'd suggest calling Marriott Customer service today. I'd let them know that the hotel looks like it is in the process of adding a resort fee and that you made your reservation well before they did so. Then ask them to put a note in your reservation stating that your reservation was made before the resort fee was instituted.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Yes, that was why I mentioned, ensuring you have your original email confirmation showing no resort fee or for those making reservations now, take a picture of your reservation showing no resort fee. If you have already made your reservation, but don't have either a picture of the original reservation screen or the original email (both showing no resort fee), then I'd suggest calling Marriott Customer service today. I'd let them know that the hotel looks like it is in the process of adding a resort fee and that you made your reservation well before they did so. Then ask them to put a note in your reservation stating that your reservation was made before the resort fee was instituted.
Just called into Marriott and the first agent told that this fee has been around for 15 years and they have always had it. I told her that I just stayed in October and was not charged or even told about a fee. She said that maybe they waived it for me since I was a titanium member which is bs.

Checked my rate online and the resort fee is with the taxes of $56 for the whole stay. The email doesn’t show fees and taxes so I wouldn’t know if they had already charged it before or not.

Not cool, Marriott ,,, not cool
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by anaggie
Just called into Marriott and the first agent told that this fee has been around for 15 years and they have always had it. I told her that I just stayed in October and was not charged or even told about a fee. She said that maybe they waived it for me since I was a titanium member which is bs.

Checked my rate online and the resort fee is with the taxes of $56 for the whole stay. The email doesn’t show fees and taxes so I wouldn’t know if they had already charged it before or not.

Not cool, Marriott ,,, not cool
I reached out to Marriott Bonvoy Lurker , who unfortunately could only say they forwarded my message to the property to get back to me about having the previously nondisclosed fee waived. Seems like such a widespread issue could be handled more proactively by corporate. Alas. Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by Adam1222; Nov 10, 2020 at 10:08 am
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:16 am

In looking at my reservation, I noticed that if I expand the "total for stay" and/or the "room total summary" that neither shows the fee being added. In fact, when I click the "print" button, it shows the certificates used for the 2 nights and a total cost of $2.80 for taxes/fees. So the $28.00/night resort fee doesn't show up there yet.

I'd suggest looking at your reservation and verify that no resort fee is showing. If so, print it and take it with you when your stay occurs to show that the resort fee wasn't in place when you made your reservation.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I just heard back from the property -

Resort fee from Jan 1, 2021. The note is there as a precaution, but they are not charging on reservations for stays prior to Jan 1 2021.

Last edited by samwise6222; Nov 10, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Old Nov 18, 2020, 5:03 pm

I got a rate under code LTS (work anywhere) for $240 USD per night, all-in, including breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children, and 20% off restaurants and spa, and some other small benefits (booking of 7 nights).

Is this a good rate? 1 King bed, no club 91 access, though we don't drink and honestly I prefer to dine in restaurants at our own leisure and splurging for fine food.

Is there a "Griffin" club on site for little kids?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by SkyElite
I got a rate under code LTS (work anywhere) for $240 USD per night, all-in, including breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children, and 20% off restaurants and spa, and some other small benefits (booking of 7 nights).

Is this a good rate? 1 King bed, no club 91 access, though we don't drink and honestly I prefer to dine in restaurants at our own leisure and splurging for fine food.

IMO, no, I got a BRG for the adjacent Marriott for less than $100 per night recently.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by SkyElite

There's a travelzoo code *with* Club 91 access for less currently. https://www.travelzoo.com/direct/hot...vers--2895839/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.