Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by hw711
Not 100% about JW but casamagna next door has no resort fee. You get free internet and 2 morning coffees with plat status.
And when I stayed there, the hotel gave me food poisoning from a pizza that ended up in me spending two days on a toilet and voting a Mexican doctor. I did get 75,000 points, though.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And when I stayed there, the hotel gave me food poisoning from a pizza that ended up in me spending two days on a toilet and voting a Mexican doctor. I did get 75,000 points, though.
Did you get yourself AND the pizza analyzed or how do you know it was the pizza?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
Did you get yourself AND the pizza analyzed or how do you know it was the pizza?
It was the only thing I had ate since arriving first thing in the morning in Cancun.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
It was the only thing I had ate since arriving first thing in the morning in Cancun.
Alright, then it's most probably the pizza.

I have myself been to Cancun maybe 5 times and some kind of "food poisoning" problems every time. Not sure about the correct term, Traveler's diarrhea maybe?

I have been to dozens of less civilized places and never encountered anything similar. But in Cancun every single time.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic:

There's a difference between Montezuma's revenge & food poisoning. Some of the symptoms are the same, but food poisoning is worse & has symptoms MR doesn't, such as a fever and vomiting.

Bet you would have given up the 75K points not to have either!

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
Alright, then it's most probably the pizza.

I have myself been to Cancun maybe 5 times and some kind of "food poisoning" problems every time. Not sure about the correct term, Traveler's diarrhea maybe?

I have been to dozens of less civilized places and never encountered anything similar. But in Cancun every single time.
Montezuma's revenge is the normal term, but TD works as well.

On-topic

Can someone who has stayed at the property create a wiki for what benefits elite get there? Thx.

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
But what did you have to drink? Did you have ice in whatever you drank? Was your drink made using water (lemonaide, iced tea, etc.)?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
To update: Just arrived back from a 4 night award stay at the JW Cancun. Nothing but great things to say! As a PLT, we got an upgrade to an oceanview room on the 8th floor. The other PLT perks were 2 free cups of coffee/tea at the lobby store each morning & 15% off at Sedona Grill (breakfast, lunch, dinner). We also got cookies delivered to the room a few nights as well.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:47 pm

recent stay

I recently completed a 1-week stay at the JW Cancun using an LNF rate, which was about 40% less than the published rate.
As others have mentioned, the hotel and grounds are top notch and well-maintained.

Just a quick review of the Platinum benefits I received:

- upgraded to premium ocean view (had booked basic room) - xx25. Though the hotel did have suites available, I was specifically NOT upgraded into one. They did offer the Caribbean Suite for $100 more per night. I opted not to, since we were out of the room during most of the daytime hours anyway.

Personally, I thought it was poor form not to offer a Plat guest into a complimentary suite, since one was available on check-in. In fact, the T&C's of MR specifically mention suites as an upgradeable option, based on availability at check-in.

- 2 free coffees/tea at the lobby store each AM. I signed the receipt, but no charges were applied to the room.

- 15% off breakfast only at Sedona Grill (comes out to about USD $25 per person). Has lots of brunch options like several fish and seafood items and grilled chicken.

- tiered Gourmet Dining Pass. In previous posts, I saw that others had received a postcard upon check-in offering 25% off your dining bill at all JW and Casa Magna restaurants for ALL meals. It looks like they did away with that and now, the Dining Pass postcard offers 10% off first DINNER (not good on breakfast or lunch), 15% off 2nd, 20% off 3rd, 25% off 4th, and finally, 30% off of 5th. Discounts are good at both JW and CM restaurants.

Somehow, I get the feeling that the CM offers better Plat benefits, namely upgrades. But, overall, it was an enjoyable stay.

As a side note, the beach right in front of the JW has tons of seaweed, for some reason. If you walk over to the beach area immediately to the left of it, in front the adjacent Hard Rock hotel, the water and shore have significantly less seaweed.

Last edited by cabrits; Jun 5, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Any word on room renovations? Site says rooms are from 2006.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by lucycan
Any word on room renovations? Site says rooms are from 2006.
I was there a year ago and found the rooms reasonably modern and well maintained. The large bathroom with separate bathtub and walk-in shower was especially appreciated.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I was there a year ago and found the rooms reasonably modern and well maintained. The large bathroom with separate bathtub and walk-in shower was especially appreciated.
Most recent stay was November 2015. There were some exterior renovations (paint, etc.) done about a year ago. Sleeping rooms are a bit older (2006 may be right) but well maintained and in good condition. No complaints here. It's not the absolute nicest JW in the system, but staff and customer service are both above average.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:34 pm

I had Gold when I went there and asked for complimentary upgrade but didnt receive one. It didnt matter because I had ocean view and the pools were fantastic! You won't be disappointed with this hotel!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:06 pm

Club 91 or Not

My family of 4, which include two children under five, are staying at the JW Cancun next spring. We currently have Club 91 on hold for about $175 a night (tax included) and I am wondering if it's worth the cost. The convenience seems nice, but I am not sure if we'd actually pay less eating at or near the hotel vs the club.

Are there any casual restaurants within walking distance of the JW? Any other experiences with Club 91 to confirm or deny if it's worth the upcharge?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by dngrmys
Are there any casual restaurants within walking distance of the JW?
There are several restaurants on premises at the JW and the Marriott next door. Some of them are casual. A few blocks away are a McDonald's and a Papa John's. A little farther off are a number of fancier restaurants. They're not totally casual, perhaps more dressy-casual. And while I found them walkable (1/2 mile level walk each way is nothing for me) you may not with two young children in tow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.