FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:47 pm
cabrits

recent stay

I recently completed a 1-week stay at the JW Cancun using an LNF rate, which was about 40% less than the published rate.
As others have mentioned, the hotel and grounds are top notch and well-maintained.

Just a quick review of the Platinum benefits I received:

- upgraded to premium ocean view (had booked basic room) - xx25. Though the hotel did have suites available, I was specifically NOT upgraded into one. They did offer the Caribbean Suite for $100 more per night. I opted not to, since we were out of the room during most of the daytime hours anyway.

Personally, I thought it was poor form not to offer a Plat guest into a complimentary suite, since one was available on check-in. In fact, the T&C's of MR specifically mention suites as an upgradeable option, based on availability at check-in.

- 2 free coffees/tea at the lobby store each AM. I signed the receipt, but no charges were applied to the room.

- 15% off breakfast only at Sedona Grill (comes out to about USD $25 per person). Has lots of brunch options like several fish and seafood items and grilled chicken.

- tiered Gourmet Dining Pass. In previous posts, I saw that others had received a postcard upon check-in offering 25% off your dining bill at all JW and Casa Magna restaurants for ALL meals. It looks like they did away with that and now, the Dining Pass postcard offers 10% off first DINNER (not good on breakfast or lunch), 15% off 2nd, 20% off 3rd, 25% off 4th, and finally, 30% off of 5th. Discounts are good at both JW and CM restaurants.

Somehow, I get the feeling that the CM offers better Plat benefits, namely upgrades. But, overall, it was an enjoyable stay.

As a side note, the beach right in front of the JW has tons of seaweed, for some reason. If you walk over to the beach area immediately to the left of it, in front the adjacent Hard Rock hotel, the water and shore have significantly less seaweed.

Last edited by cabrits; Jun 5, 2015 at 5:31 pm