Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Lobby renovation is complete. Executive lounge is on ground floor (not a M Lounge).
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Belmont
I am Platinum with Marriott and accidentally left a closet full of clothes at the Marriott Grosvenor Square; I checked out today.

Is there a way to get them back? If so, could you let me know what the next steps are (i.e., who to contact)?

How does Marriott usually handle these things; is there a lost and found?

Thank you!
Just call the hotel and make arrangements to get them to send the clothes to you. No need to contact Marriott, the hotel is you best option.

Must have been awful cold walking out naked. Just kidding
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Baze
Just call the hotel and make arrangements to get them to send the clothes to you. No need to contact Marriott, the hotel is you best option.

Must have been awful cold walking out naked. Just kidding
Hah!

Nice visual, Baze.

OP, just call the hotel ASAP, first so they know you actually checked out and you don't keep getting billed, and second to arrange shipping or storage of your clothes.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Contact the hotel directly, not Marriott. Odds are housekeeping turned the clothes in and they're in lost and found. Give the hotel your address and have them return clothes to you. Give them your FedEx or ups or credit card number to cover the return cost.

Cheers
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Call the hotel - lost and found. Assuming they have them, they will likely package them up and mail them, though you'll have to pay shipping (which is fair).

I left a bunch of stuff at the Paris Rive Gauche this summer, and did the same.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:26 pm

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) Trip Reports

Cheesecake is on the list. Thanks Sharon, for that and the other tips.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
It depends on how much your clothes worth and where you are - it might be more expensive to have them shipped to your home than buying new ones. My son left a down jacket in the wildlife park in Tucson, and they said it will cost me USD 100 to ship to Sweden or USD 50 to ship to LA (shipping plus packaging cost). I told them please donate the jacket to a charity to benefit a child in need.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there are new clothes, you might be charged duty. Normally your duty free allowance only applies for stuff that accompanies you.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If there are new clothes, you might be charged duty. Normally your duty free allowance only applies for stuff that accompanies you.
Unless there are sales tags on the clothes that's not an issue. And the OP didn't say the clothes were brand spanking new.

I was in UK one time, got in late, had an oh-dawn-hundred departure. Left clothes behind in closet. Didn't resize it until I got home. Unpacked/called hotel and due to time zone dif got the guy who checked me put at oh dawn hundred. He said yup we've got the clothes. Arrived via FedEx a clue of days later. No custom fees involved.

I hate auto correct.

Cheers
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I said "might." Officially you should report the new clothes as acquired abroad, even if they have been worn, and customs will assess duty on their depreciated value. Similarly, you are required to report alterations or mending work on clothes done abroad. Obviously YMMV.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
When I've done this, which is more often than I should admit, I've emailed the hotel a shipping label to affix to the box. This does a number of things: it ensures the correct address is used, it gives me the shipping number for tracking purposes and it allows me to take advantage of my company's negotiated rate on shipping, which can be quite lower than if Marriott slaps a label on the box for you. (We have a procedure to reimburse the company.) Fortunately, the one time I left something Internationally it was my glasses, which are smaller and lighter than clothes. An no, there were no custom fees mentioned.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
When I've done this, which is more often than I should admit, I've emailed the hotel a shipping label to affix to the box. This does a number of things: it ensures the correct address is used, it gives me the shipping number for tracking purposes and it allows me to take advantage of my company's negotiated rate on shipping, which can be quite lower than if Marriott slaps a label on the box for you. (We have a procedure to reimburse the company.) Fortunately, the one time I left something Internationally it was my glasses, which are smaller and lighter than clothes. An no, there were no custom fees mentioned.
There shouldn't be customs duty on used personal items that you acquired in the USA and returned to the USA. However, if you purchased those glasses abroad....
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is coming up on a week since the OP posted. No response from the OP as to whether they got any of our advice or what happened.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:34 pm

It is coming up on a week since the OP posted. No response from the OP as to whether they got any of our advice or what happened.
How unusual.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:32 pm

Did I miss something?

The OP asked a simple question and got an answer. Presumably he followed the advice and got his clothing back. Were some of you expecting a hey the clothes arrived woo-hoo post? I wasn't.

Maybe he could have done a thanks all, which would be polite but not required, but this was not a complicated issue that required a lot of input by FTers. If that had been the case I might get the angst a bit more, bit not on a very simple matter.

And then there's the possibility the OP is still traveling and hasn't had time to check back. I'm continually amazed (this is a generic comment that crossed multiple forums) on how many people on a travel bulletin board where people travel expect immediate follow up posts.

Cheers
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Did I miss something?

The OP asked a simple question and got an answer. Presumably he followed the advice and got his clothing back. Were some of you expecting a hey the clothes arrived woo-hoo post? I wasn't.

Maybe he could have done a thanks all, which would be polite but not required, but this was not a complicated issue that required a lot of input by FTers. If that had been the case I might get the angst a bit more, bit not on a very simple matter.

And then there's the possibility the OP is still traveling and hasn't had time to check back. I'm continually amazed (this is a generic comment that crossed multiple forums) on how many people on a travel bulletin board where people travel expect immediate follow up posts.

Cheers
You did not miss anything. I am just curious if they got their clothes back. And though you are right, it is not required, but it is common courtesy to respond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.