Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Lobby renovation is complete. Executive lounge is on ground floor (not a M Lounge).
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
It sounds like a normal lounge to me, but with one very snobby attendant. I would definitely report it to hotel management so that he/she doesn't do it to other guests.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
From the horse's mouth...

Here is the reply I received to my query about the dress code:
Dear Lexdevil,

Thank you kindly for your email and choosing the Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel for your upcoming stay.

I am delighted to hear you have read such positive feedback about the hotel and I am more than confident that your stay will be a relaxing and enjoyable one.

Indeed we have a dress code for our executive lounge which is “casual elegance” as you have read online. We like to describe this dress code this way as it is suited to the JW brand’s “approachable luxury”. By this we mean we kindly ask our guests to be dressed according to the time of the day and season. Simply put we will not expect a dinner jacket but at the same time sportswear is discouraged. I hope this clarifies any queries you had about our dress code.

Myself and the team of Grosvenor House are looking forward to your arrival this Thursday.

I would like to wish you a pleasant journey to our hotel and remain at your disposal for any further enquiries.

Kindest regards,

XXXX XXXX | Senior Guest Relations Manager | Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Definitely friendly, but I don't think it clarifies much at all. I assume that it means that greater formality is expected in the evening, but it really gives no guidance as to what level of "luxury" will be required of us. My son and husband both have khakis, but I don't think my son's grey suede Vans and trendy t-shirts will fly in the evening. I've got a few blouses, but only jeans (dark wash, black, and navy) for the bottom half. I've got two pairs of comfy walking shoes that cost a mint, but they are neither elegant nor luxurious (though they are definitely casual and approachable). Perhaps my Ally Capellino bag will earn me a pass...who knows...

I really want to try the JW. At the same time, I will not find it "relaxing" or "enjoyable" worrying about what to wear to the lounge. I also don't think that I would be anywhere near as calm and understanding as Lane412000 were I asked to leave the lounge. I managed to restore my back up booking at the Marriott Park Lane, where I have had no issues with the lounge. Sometime over the next few days I'll figure out which room to cancel.

All of my interactions with the JW have been pleasant and helpful, but this issue and the uncertainty surrounding it makes me feel unwelcome. I know this is not their intent, but it is simply how I feel. My personal style is pretty butch and I do not own the sorts of things that are markers of elegance and luxury for women. Throwing on pearls and a pair of pumps or the proverbial "little black dress" would make me feel uncomfortable. I would be much happier with more specific guidelines (for example: no shorts, no sweats, no tank tops). I wish that there were some way to know that black jeans, a blouse, and walking shoes would pass muster, but as there does not appear to be, I am left with a tough decision to make.

My inelegant shoe options:
and

What do you think? I'm not buying new shoes; these are all I packed. No pedicure either.

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 1, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Oh good grief - no one needs to dress up for going to the GH exec lounge. You don't want to walk in wearing gym shorts in the evening, but you don't need to wear pearls & an evening gown either.

And given that yest eve a dress code wasn't being enforced according to Lane412000 this seems a one-off.

Cheers.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And given that yest eve a dress code wasn't being enforced according to Lane412000 this seems a one-off.
I know that I am overreacting to this. At the same time, I don't like vague dress codes that leave miles of room for interpretation. I did not find the hotel's reply reassuring. Concepts like "casual elegance" and "approachable luxury" are vague and unpredictable. Clearly this vagueness gave at least one lounge attendant a bit more power of interpretation than he was ready to handle. An "I know it when I see it" standard is an invitation to error and/or discrimination. It is simply unwise.

I agree with you that Lane412000 should discuss this incident with management. I hope that he will share the response. If the response he receives is, "Oh dear, that lounge attendant was new and a bit confused. We have since clarified the policy with him, " or, "It was an error not to make an exception for a platinum member whose luggage was lost," that is something I would find reassuring.

I am not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I am not outraged. I am simply uncomfortable with the policy as implemented in Lane412000's case and as explained by the management.

Some of my discomfort is almost certainly a product of my approach to travel planning (and life in general). My job involves traveling with groups of high school students 15+ times a year. I have to plan for a range of contingencies. Surprises are rarely a good thing. In fact, I chose to be loyal to Marriott because it meant fewer surprises (No more, "So sorry, we're out of double doubles. Your rooms of four students will just have to manage with kings.") I research (a lot). That's why I use FlyerTalk. I like to know what to expect.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) Trip Reports

I agree, and I also pack light and specific to the planned activities. I also only own 3 pairs of long pants and 2 of them are jeans. :-)
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
If we might go beyond this on-and-on about attire (good grief), I saw the pictures linked to the post on page 5, and it appears that the CL does not have windows. Is this correct? Most places with no windows are kind of dreary. How about this CL?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by HookEm
I saw the pictures linked to the post on page 5, and it appears that the CL does not have windows. Is this correct? Most places with no windows are kind of dreary. How about this CL?
The old exec lounge had windows. My guess, given where they say the new location is, is that the new exec lounge might not have them. You could PM the FTer who posted the pic links & ask him. I probably won't be back there until February so I won't be able to update my photos until then.

Cheers.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Windows in CL

If we might go beyond this on-and-on about attire (good grief), I saw the pictures linked to the post on page 5, and it appears that the CL does not have windows. Is this correct? Most places with no windows are kind of dreary. How about this CL?
I was the one who posted the pictures, and if they make the lounge look dreary it's a reflection on my photography. It's true there are no windows, which given the London weather and the ground floor location is probably a good thing, but there is sort of an artificial window that displays slowly moving images of the outdoors. The overall design is very modern and stylish.

The earlier comments concerning about dress code were interesting to me, as my wife and I had just been bicycling and living out of panniers for the previous week, and so were not exactly stylish. I did have a pair of khaki travel pants and a collared shirt, which appeared to be fine.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:32 am

Thanks for the update on both counts!

Cheers.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by cmcc
I was the one who posted the pictures, and if they make the lounge look dreary it's a reflection on my photography. It's true there are no windows, which given the London weather and the ground floor location is probably a good thing, but there is sort of an artificial window that displays slowly moving images of the outdoors. The overall design is very modern and stylish.

The earlier comments concerning about dress code were interesting to me, as my wife and I had just been bicycling and living out of panniers for the previous week, and so were not exactly stylish. I did have a pair of khaki travel pants and a collared shirt, which appeared to be fine.

Thanks for your response. An artificial window rather than a real window seems weird to me, but maybe it works. I like to look "outside", but maybe others think otherwise.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:45 pm

Thanks for your response. An artificial window rather than a real window seems weird to me, but maybe it works. I like to look "outside", but maybe others think otherwise.
The old exec lounge on the 7th floor was small but had windows (although not really any great view). The new exec lounge is large but due to location no windows. I think the artificial window is their attempt to try & simulate a view vs. just it being walls. The rooms on the ground floor that would have views are the restaurants & bars overlooking Park Lane. I can't see them giving up those to the exec lounge.

BTW - if you want windows don't stay at GS, as its exec lounge is in the basement!

Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
This Concierge Lounge really is my favorite of all the ones I've seen. We were pretty stressed out after our biking in the West of England, and headed to the GH partly to relax and recover. We did touristy things during the mid-day, but before and after mostly just kicked back in the CL.

The window thing is really a large screen TV that displays slowly moving images of clouds, leaves, etc and is very nice. If there is any slightly negative comment about the redesign, it would be that it is rather generic. It would fit in just as well in say, Chicago. I'm guessing that the well lit, modern look was deliberately done to avoid the "pub" look I tend to conjure up when thinking of London.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by cmcc
This Concierge Lounge really is my favorite of all the ones I've seen. We were pretty stressed out after our biking in the West of England, and headed to the GH partly to relax and recover.
Judging by this thread, I hope that you "freshened up" before heading to the lounge.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM; MR Gold
Updated pictures now on the GH website

Marriott recently added six pictures of the new exec lounge on the GH website at marriott.com, including the dining area and a "media wall". Appears to be very spacious - I'm looking forward to seeing it first hand at the end of the month!

Here's a link to the GH photos page, look under the "services" category...
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...arriott-hotel/
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by waterbug111
Marriott recently added six pictures of the new exec lounge on the GH website at marriott.com, including the dining area and a "media wall". Appears to be very spacious - I'm looking forward to seeing it first hand at the end of the month!

Here's a link to the GH photos page, look under the "services" category...
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...arriott-hotel/
Thanks for the link/update on the pics! Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.