Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Lobby renovation is complete. Executive lounge is on ground floor (not a M Lounge).
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
Accidental Points

I had forgotten to mention an odd, but very good thing that happened. We had stayed using points, and so only had about $20 of misc charges. When my stay posted, I had 4453 base points (7180 total, incl. 500 arrival), implying that I had spent $445.30. Great news, but not if I would have actually been charged that much in addition to the points I used.

I called the MR line, and at the risk of having the points deleted, informed them. What apparently happened was the internal charge the property makes to Marriott for an awards stay somehow generated my points. Maybe the desk clerk checking me in, maybe a system error, but at any rate I still have the points, which made for a relatively cheap stay at a great hotel and got me that much further toward lifetime Gold.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: United (1K/MM2), Alaska MVPG, Hyatt GP-Diamond
Just spent a few nights in a suite at GH. We found the property very nice and staff average. The new lounge was great, we always found something delicious to eat throughout the day.

Unfortunately our stay was a bit soured by some other guests staying at the hotel. According to several staff, a large family had been staying at the hotel for about six weeks. They had booked out the top two floors and even shipped in their Ferrari and Lamborghini cars to drive around London. That wasn't the issue though, it was when they decided to go out and rev and race their cars around the lanes and park nearby each night making heaps of noise. Additionally their children, repeatedly pushing myself, my wife and many other guest out of their way, tossing rubbish on the floor and treating the staff rudely was quite off putting. On one occasion hotel security pushed passed us with two of the male guests and took the lift we had been waiting for, only putting up a hand to indicate we should wait for the next lift as the doors closed. Each night from about 11:30PM the men of the large family seemed to takeover the lobby making it difficult to get to our room. We had some friends come stay at the hotel on Saturday night and as we returned from dinner the men gawked at the women as we walked through the lobby.

We did see several people in the lounge wearing casual attire. Including the typical Americans, either dressed for a mountain expedition (think zip off pants, a very high tech looking jacket and hiking shoes), or wearing blue jeans a t-shirt and those HUMONGOUS white NB trainers (tennis shoes). None of the staff seemed concerned.

To sum it up, the property was great, the location wonderful, staff average.

Last edited by tkruger206; Sep 26, 2017 at 6:55 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Maybe the Sultan checking out his potential new property early? On a dif note - wonder what it costs to rent out 2 entire floors of GH for 6 weeks?

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
tkruger206's post illuminates what has been an ongoing problem for years at this property, one of the reasons we began avoiding it!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by boss315
tkruger206's post illuminates what has been an ongoing problem for years at this property, one of the reasons we began avoiding it!
Sorry to disagree, but I have stayed at this property for several years in a row and have never once encountered that situation, including when a wealthy middle east family switched to GH from the park lane Hilton for several weeks. (It should be noted they were very polite and never once were loud, rude, revved cars -theirs were Bentley).

I've always gotten great upgrades and had fab service over several years.

Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: United (1K/MM2), Alaska MVPG, Hyatt GP-Diamond

Last edited by tkruger206; Aug 30, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:15 pm

During the NFL Game last year in Wembley. The Jacksonville Jaguars team stayed at the hotel and apparently there was a brawl between some players and the "security" staff of a Middle Eastern Family also staying at the Hotel and Hotel Security. Apparently the Players brought some "girls" back to the room after the game and after going to a Club and some members of the Family and their security detail objected. The Jaguars had 3 floors reserved I believe (I was staying there too at the time) and this family had another.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:46 pm
Suspended

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...ecutive_Lounge
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Tkruger206 has a very valid point; I have been staying at the JW for the past few years and due to similar concerns moved to the County Hall
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Thanks for that - good to see the various photos!

Cheers.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:33 pm

Just noticed this in a promotional email I received re: Grosvenor House.

Jim Beam Single Barrel Bourbon
Bourbon and steak-lovers can rejoice! The world’s number one bourbon Jim Beam and JW Steakhouse at Grosvenor House have joined forces to unveil the first ever Jim Beam single barrel bourbon to be hand selected and exported from the USA to anywhere in the world.

Bourbon Bar
Our Bourbon Bar has the largest and most varied selection of Bourbons in London.
With over 160 rare, pre prohibition, single barrel and small batch Bourbons, there is something for the novice and the connoisseur. A series of innovative tasting flights are also available and with our very own Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel (only one in a hundred barrels as selected by Jack Daniel’s Master Taster to carry the Single Barrel label), guests can also enjoy a truly unique flavour that can’t be experienced anywhere else in the world.

An eclectic cocktail menu offers signature cocktails such as The Mint Julep, Kentucky Bourbon Sour or Mayfair Manhattan, with special creations available throughout the year.

And if anyone happens to be staying at GH on October 17th, you could attend this:

Literati with Richard Madeley
Author, Journalist and TV Presenter Richard Madeley is set to host our next Literati Book Club event on Friday 17 October at 6.30pm. Presenting his new book ‘The Way You Look Tonight’ with author and TV Executive Hannah Beckerman as compère, tickets include champagne, canapés and a signed copy of Richard’s book and are £20 each or complimentary for in-house guests. (reservations required)

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:04 am

Upcoming Trip - appreciate your information

My wife and I are going to be staying at Grovesnor House this Sunday and Monday night. We are staying on points (from my brother). He is Platinum and so am I - so hoping for the best when it comes to receiving an upgrade and the other benefits. It should be just fine, we've already alerted the hotel that I am on the reservation.

The information on this thread and the Marriott-family in London thread were helpful in selecting this hotel so we get a combination of great stay in a great location for my wife who has not been to London before.

Looking forward to the new lounge, a drink in the Bourbon Bar and anything else the the visit brings.

If anyone has further tips on how to best enjoy the property let us know!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by CommercialDrive

If anyone has further tips on how to best enjoy the property let us know!
The cheesecake in the hotel restaurant (Steakhouse) is worth every calorie & diabetic coma it will induce :-: Actually the JW Steakhouse food offerings are pretty good. I normally eat there one evening when I stay at the property. Since you & your wife will only be there a couple of days you'll probably eat elsewhere, but I post it for others.

Not sure if you & your wife are into afternoon tea, but if you are have the formal afternoon tea in the Park Room & ask for/reserve a table near the front windows with views of Hyde Park.

I like stopping by the Park Room for a glass of champagne when I come back from evening events.

A small museum not far from Grosvenor House which is one of my favorites & which just completed a renovation is the Wallace Collection. It's about a 10-12 minute walk from GH. http://www.wallacecollection.org/

Have a great time!

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:54 pm

Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:17 pm

Left clothes at Marriott London-Grosvenor Square: how to get them back?

I am Platinum with Marriott and accidentally left a closet full of clothes at the Marriott Grosvenor Square; I checked out today.

Is there a way to get them back? If so, could you let me know what the next steps are (i.e., who to contact)?

How does Marriott usually handle these things; is there a lost and found?

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.