Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Silver status back the day after my flight. Well, at least I’ll have it for the return trip.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:14 am

Silver status back here also. I tried to re-register and the system said that I was already registered for the program, so it came back naturally.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:33 pm

Unhappy United Platinum ------> Marriott Platinum downgraded March 2019

• I was UA Gold in 2018
  • Was given complimentary GOLD by Marriott (Lounge Access) and later half of year a Marriott Platinum (Lounge Access)
  • The Marriott Platinum was active through Feb 2019
  • In March I checked into a Marriott - and found out that I was downgraded to Marriott Gold (No Lounge Access) - My 2019 United status is Platinum
  • During Check-In process 2 of my co-workers (UA - Plat; UA- Gold) still had Marriott Platinum (Breakfast lounge access)
  • Seems the Complimentary status on Marriott is hit or miss - some retained Marriott Platinum in March while some downgraded to Gold
  • Any pointers on what I should do/call to get Marriott Plat (Not going to point out my colleagues)
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ubrahme
  • I was UA Gold in 2018
  • Was given complimentary GOLD by Marriott (Lounge Access) and later half of year a Marriott Platinum (Lounge Access)
  • The Marriott Platinum was active through Feb 2019
  • In March I checked into a Marriott - and found out that I was downgraded to Marriott Gold (No Lounge Access) - My 2019 United status is Platinum
  • During Check-In process 2 of my co-workers (UA - Plat; UA- Gold) still had Marriott Platinum (Breakfast lounge access)
  • Seems the Complimentary status on Marriott is hit or miss - some retained Marriott Platinum in March while some downgraded to Gold
  • Any pointers on what I should do/call to get Marriott Plat (Not going to point out my colleagues)
maybe your colleagues made platinum and didn’t even know it without RewardsPlus. Calling Marriott to ask for it now is probably going to get you a zippo but anything can happen. Do call and let us know the outcome because I’m sure 1000s if not 10,000s of members will flood the lines if you report them granting you an exception.

Your example is the perfect example of why Marriott don’t need all these RewardsPlus platinums. Casual stayers wanting lounge access. I can understand why properties are cutting back. Then the flip side is that Marriott is losing your (less than 50 nights) a year but that was the plan they went with.

if anything, they should go with the announced AA Hyatt mix coming up. Challenge (whatever the criteria is) for both better elite status on both the United and the Marriott side.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If you want Marriott Plat, do 50 nights

Or get the CC, host one meeting, and do 25 nights
dgreen12 and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
Your example is the perfect example of why Marriott don’t need all these RewardsPlus platinums. Casual stayers wanting lounge access. I can understand why properties are cutting back. Then the flip side is that Marriott is losing your (less than 50 nights) a year but that was the plan they went with.
+1000. This is one of the few good decisions Marriott has made recently.
Originally Posted by myperks
if anything, they should go with the announced AA Hyatt mix coming up. Challenge (whatever the criteria is) for both better elite status on both the United and the Marriott side.
Marriott already offers a challenge which makes Plat status reasonably attainable for anyone who is truly a frequent traveler.
HNLbasedFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by nova08
As a LTT I dropped from UA silver to GM back at the beginning of Feb. Relinked my accounts on Rewards Plus and was back to UA silver in a few days. Now I dropped back to GM again the past few days. Went to Rewards Plus and it says I'm already registered. This should be good.
Update: Several days after this post my UA status went back to Silver.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
Still nothing for me

7-10 days must be a typo and 7-10 weeks the real answer
jtp1947 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
I’m going to hit Titanium for the first time this year.
Wht exactly does United Silver get you? Is it worth signing up when I hit that mark. I don’t travel enough on the airlines to get status on any airline.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by flyou10
Wht exactly does United Silver get you? Is it worth signing up when I hit that mark. I don’t travel enough on the airlines to get status on any airline.
The main benefit is you can choose economy plus at check-in for yourself and companion, there is also an increased baggage allowance and a 25% mileage bonus. You get on the upgrade waitlist but you won't likely ever get an upgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
The main benefit is you can choose economy plus at check-in for yourself and companion, there is also an increased baggage allowance and a 25% mileage bonus. You get on the upgrade waitlist but you won't likely ever get an upgrade.
No E+ if you opt for basic economy tickets.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ceber
7-10 days must be a typo and 7-10 weeks the real answer
Do you mean you registered in January and you did not get the UA status changed until March? but it did change, without your having to call Marriott, right?

We hardly fly UA but it so happens that we would have an UA segment in coach as our last segment on an Aeroplan RTW business class award (the only Y segment in the whole itinerary and would remain in Y I am afraid as I have never seen UA releases J seats on this segment even using UA miles). Just want to get a free checked bag IN CASE we might need it. I registered the RewardPlus today, as long as it would eventually change in even 7 to 10 weeks I am fine with it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
No, I registered in Jan

and reconfirmed several times since, always it says 7-10 days, still no change in status with united.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ceber
and reconfirmed several times since, always it says 7-10 days, still no change in status with united.
Same here I guess I'll have to contact Marriott to open another "case".
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by flyou10
Just sign up. It literally takes a link clicking and some typing. Even if you don't use it once, at least you have it in your back pocket in case you ever get re-routed on UA or placed on it for work/leisure. It costs nothing too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.