Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Is there a similar possibility with United? I am not being sarcastic, I am really asking as I am not as familiar with the nuances of United's program.
Not really, no. You need four segments on UA metal minimum to qualify for any UA status (not counting Silver via RewardsPlus, obviously). Earnings on non-016 tickets are mileage-based, but won't count for PQD, so you'd need a waiver.

For example, you get 300% PQMs for LH full-fare F or J, or 200% PQMs for non-full fare F or J. You'd get 200% RDMs plus a 50% Gold bonus for first or higher-level business fares, so up to 54K redeemable miles round-trip YVR-FRA-CPT if you've already reached Gold (and 43K-65K PQMs). The RDM bonus would increase to 100% at 1K.

If ticketed on UA (016) stock, a 6000 PQD fight would earn 48K redeemable miles for a Gold, regardless of flight distance.

I don't think UA has any of the 400%+ flights that you can get on AS -- in fact, 016 tickets are capped at 75,000 redeemable miles per ticket.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not really, no. You need four segments on UA metal minimum to qualify for any UA status (not counting Silver via RewardsPlus, obviously). Earnings on non-016 tickets are mileage-based, but won't count for PQD, so you'd need a waiver.

For example, you get 300% PQMs for LH full-fare F or J, or 200% PQMs for non-full fare F or J. You'd get 200% RDMs plus a 50% Gold bonus for first or higher-level business fares, so up to 54K redeemable miles round-trip YVR-FRA-CPT if you've already reached Gold (and 43K-65K PQMs). The RDM bonus would increase to 100% at 1K.

If ticketed on UA (016) stock, a 6000 PQD fight would earn 48K redeemable miles for a Gold, regardless of flight distance.

I don't think UA has any of the 400%+ flights that you can get on AS -- in fact, 016 tickets are capped at 75,000 redeemable miles per ticket.
Thank you for the explanation/examples. My example itinerary would apply to anyone starting fresh with Mileage Plan with a zero balance, By the time they arrived in CPT they would already have achieved First Tier MVP Status and receive a 50% RDM bonus on the return. Upon arrival back home, they would achieve Second Tier MVPG and all subsequent flights would receive a 100% RDM Bonus. At Top Tier MVPG75K, RDM bonus goes to 125% and you receive a 50K Bonus RDM for your achievement among other things. For someone like myself who is already MVPG75K the EQM for the itinerary would be the same but RDM would increase to 123,248. I like to take annual trips to Australia and South Africa to visit friends. 2 J/F return from Canada is easy to achieve in a year so AS works well for me. MVPG & MVPG75K status also give you access to some partner lounges if flying with them, regardless of class flown. BA, QF, HU, FI

Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Still showing Gold Elite in the Marriott Program as 1K. Anyone have their status upped to Platinum? I have stays coming up in November and having lounge access is the main reason to pick Marriott over the other alternatives.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:06 am

I believe Marriott announced that their new program will (for the most part) take effect on 18 August. I'd wait until then before drawing any speculative conclusions
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by expressboy
Still showing Gold Elite in the Marriott Program as 1K. Anyone have their status upped to Platinum? I have stays coming up in November and having lounge access is the main reason to pick Marriott over the other alternatives.
Originally Posted by Counsellor
I believe Marriott announced that their new program will (for the most part) take effect on 18 August. I'd wait until then before drawing any speculative conclusions

They just made the announcement today. Looks like they will be matching to Marriott Plat. Any registrations after August will be matched to Gold.

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...rogram-changes

As a valued United MileagePlus® Premier® member who is currently receiving complimentary Marriott Rewards® Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus, you’ll be elevated to Platinum Elite status in August 2018 through January 2019, as a result of Marriott Rewards®, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) becoming one Loyalty Program.* Platinum Elite benefits will include lounge access (restrictions apply), 50% points bonus and more.
United MileagePlus members receive:
  • Complimentary Gold Elite status in Rewards and SPG (open to MileagePlus Premier Gold members and above, registration required***)
  • Conversion of MileagePlus award miles into points at a 1:1 ratio (open to Premier Silver members and above, registration not required)
  • 10% more MileagePlus miles when converting points into MileagePlus miles (open to all members, registration not required)
  • 10% more MileagePlus miles when redeeming points for RewardsPlus Travel Packages (open to all members, registration not required)
***Eligible MileagePlus members can register for complimentary Gold Elite status at united.com/rewardsplus. MileagePlus members, registered in RewardsPlus prior to August 2018 and currently enjoying Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, will receive the updated Platinum Elite status with Rewards and SPG through January 2019. In February 2019, all registered MileagePlus members who requalify for RewardsPlus for the next program year will receive the updated Gold Elite status benefits for a full calendar year with Rewards and SPG. To learn more about the updated Gold Elite status benefits, visit members.marriott.com.

Last edited by edcho; Aug 2, 2018 at 11:42 am Reason: Additional Info
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like with category re-mapping they also updated the UA Silver language.

Now requires Plat Premier or Plat Premier with Ambassador, Plat itself is no longer eligible.

Bummer likely means no more UA Silver for me which is too bad because it meant free E+ at check-in and more importantly access to XN space for domestic connections for international awards (way over 5/24 so can't get CC for same benefit)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Rather disappointing that there is no United gold status for Marriott Plat Premier. United elites with no Marriott status are definitely making out better with this arrangement, but maybe 2019 will bring that change.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Looks like with category re-mapping they also updated the UA Silver language.

Now requires Plat Premier or Plat Premier with Ambassador, Plat itself is no longer eligible.

Bummer likely means no more UA Silver for me which is too bad because it meant free E+ at check-in and more importantly access to XN space for domestic connections for international awards (way over 5/24 so can't get CC for same benefit)
But isn't Platinum Premier the same as what Platinum currently is? 75 nights+
I'm pretty sure nothing changes on that end to require United silver status
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sutho
But isn't Platinum Premier the same as what Platinum currently is? 75 nights+
I'm pretty sure nothing changes on that end to require United silver status
Yep. Given the "new" Plat is really the "old" MR Gold status, this makes sense and keeps the status quo. It can definitely get a bit confusing given between the new and old programs they use the same terms (i.e. Plat) to refer to different elite levels.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platimum, United 1K
How can I confirm that Marriott and United are linked properly? I already have Marriott Gold thru SPG so I can’t just check it by looking at Marriott account status. Thanks!
entrada likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:16 am

This is really disappointing.
I'll spent more than 20k, become Platinum Premier Elite with ambassador and all I get is United Silver
Back in 2017, when they matched to Gold, I was sitting in some nice lounges and thought 'Thank you Marriott'.
This could have been such a nice perk for the ambassador status.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by fabge
I'll spent more than 20k, become Platinum Premier Elite with ambassador and all I get is United Silver
Back in 2017, when they matched to Gold, I was sitting in some nice lounges and thought 'Thank you Marriott'.
Well beginning in 2019, UA elites will all have Gold which doesn't have lounge access so it appears the program is being watered down a bit from the UA side.
UA-NYC and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Those of us who are 1MM flyers on UA (or annual 50K-100K+) are happy that there will be extra E+ seats at booking & a bit less lounge crowding
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Those of us who are 1MM flyers on UA (or annual 50K-100K+) are happy that there will be extra E+ seats at booking & a bit less lounge crowding
I doubt there will be that many PPE with ambassedor, it should more or less match the number of Platinum Premiere (+Starwood equivalent) which was granted to only top x% of Marriott customers. They wouldn't make a difference in the lounge, and for national flights, they wouldn't even have access to the lounge.
E+ seats is a valid point.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I doubt there will be that many PPE with ambassedor, it should more or less match the number of Platinum Premiere (+Starwood equivalent) which was granted to only top x% of Marriott customers. They wouldn't make a difference in the lounge, and for national flights, they wouldn't even have access to the lounge.
E+ seats is a valid point.
No, the point is that there are endless UA Golds & MMs who will now no longer have Marriott lounge access or breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.