Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires Plaza Hotel (formerly Marriott)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
We would like to inform you that effective July 17, 2014, the hotel will no longer be a partner of the Marriott Rewards Program, however, will continue operating under the name Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires with its remarkable tradition for more than 103 years.

If you have a reservation after July 17th, the reservation and rate will be honored. However, you will not be eligible to earn points under the of the Marriott Rewards Program or to redeem them for future stays.

If you wish to utilize Marriott Gift Certificates, Incentive Awards, or Gift Cards, this property will be not be able to accept these as a method of payment.

In case you need to contact the Hotel direct, please call +5411-4318-3069 or send an e mail to [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Buenos Aires Plaza Hotel (formerly Marriott)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2007, 8:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm platinum, and was upgraded to a suite on a one night stay in November. Cholula, my husband and I liked our suite. We had 3 rooms - a bedroom, living room, and dining room. We had 2 bathrooms. We didn't need the dining room, as we ate out. The living room was spacious and comfortable.

The public areas of the property feel very dated. The lobby is filled with tour groups. The hotel also is not good in terms of accessibility. There are a fair number of steps with no alternative ramp or elevator that I could spot. I could be wrong, but it appeared to me that someone in a wheelchair wouldn't want to stay here.

However, our suite was very comfortable, and the location convenient.
Old May 10, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
I respectfully dissent on the IC comment. I think the IC Buenos Aires is much better than the Marriott in all respects, with the possible exception of its location. I'm a very difficult customer, and I haven't thought of any complaints at the IC yet. I've stayed in both suites and regular rooms at the IC. I think my laundry list of Marriott complaints are already archived here.

Originally Posted by holtju2
For me the lounge access is not as important as getting a suite.

I have been at this property four or five times in the last two years and always received a suite upgrade with lounge access. First time I was Gold and on subsequent visits Platinum.

The Hilton in B.A. is very nice but the IC is not. I have yet to stay at the Park Hyatt. Maybe on my next stay.
Old May 10, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Interesting on the whole upgrade thing. I know while we were there the hotel was very full eventhough this is off-peak season for them.

Usually I just wait and see how the hotel treats me since they've bestowed Plat Premier status on me (I get their BEST service!) but this time I wanted to avoid the hassels and called the Plat Prem desk several days before our arrival and they called the hotel directly while I was on the phone asking them to upgrade me if at all possible.

Upon arrival the room they had for us was a regular room. We then asked about an upgrade and were told there were no suites available. At some point in the process the guy at the desk made a call and he found a Jr. Suite for us.

The couch and chair were quite old and stained but the Jr. Suite was fine, plus it was in a quite location of the hotel (except for the wedding night party).

We did meet a couple who had paid for a suite and claimed they were paying $150/night. They had the 3 room suite.

Later one of the managers did mention they could possibly move us to a full suite on Thurs or Friday but we never pursued that since the current Jr. suite was mostly fine and after 4-5 days moving would be a hassle.
Old May 10, 2007, 6:26 pm

A couple of warnings for those going to BsAs.

1. If you haven't heard about the squirt something on your clothes scam, you need to make yourself aware of it. Someone will do something like squirt some ketchup (or in our case a grey goo) on your clothes and offer to help you clean it up. While 'helping' you they'll be robbing you. We knew about it before it happend to us so we avoided any losses (besides time and a hotel dry cleaning bill) and another couple we met stying in the hotel had it happen to them on the same day, but they had heard about it as well. Happend on the Plaza de Mayo on the May 1st holiday when no one was around but tourists.

2. If you use ATM's to get cash, some parts of the city have very few San Telmo specifically. Ran into muiltiple ATMs that were out of cash and quite a few that only provided instructions in Spanish (it took me a couple of times to guess the right button combo).
Old May 14, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Just got back from the Marriott this morning. We paid for a regular room with the AAA rate ($135/night). We have Gold status.

Prior to arrival, we were upgraded to a junior suite. We arrived at 10:30 am - well before check in time, but were given the room right away. Before leaving the front desk, we asked about a late checkout. The clerk told us that they already had us in for a check out at 4pm. We were surprised, since we did not request it when we made the reservation.

The room was nice - average sized bedroom with two large closets. Bed was really comfortable. The room at the Hilton was much larger with one gigantic closet. However, there was no separate living room at the Hilton.

The bathroom was also average sized but the layout made it seem smaller. It was cramped in the morning when one of us would shower while the other used the sink - even though our bathroom at home is smaller. My boyfriend bumped into the open door at least twice as well.

The living room had a couch, two chairs, coffee table, TV armoire with mini bar and coffee maker, desk with chair and two end tables. Like the bathroom, the furniture placement made for some wasted space.

We received a letter under the door within 30 minutes after check in and a welcome notecard from the manager later. The service in the lounge was pleasant.

The location of the hotel is fantastic! The views from our room and from the lounge were wonderful.

The wood around the window in our living room was rotted and falling apart. The furniture in the living room was worn, but not stained or ripped. There were other cosmetic issues as well but nothing that would stop us from staying here again.

The bar in the basement is touted and one of the best hotel bars in the world. I thought it was just ok. It smelled like it had been flooded before. The service was ok.

The lounge was a disappointment compared to the Hilton as well as the rave reviews on this site. It was very small - our room was bigger. Despite arriving 10-15 minutes before breakfast ended - all we wanted was espresso and a medialuna - every time, they had already packed everything up by 10:45. There was no offer to get anything for us either.

In the evening, they charge for alcohol! The food was really lacking - just a couple of hot nibbles, chips and nuts. The setup was not conducive to meeting other people or having conversation. In addition, a real a****** was sitting all night in the lounge with his american wife talking LOUDLY with his laptop ON SPEAKERPHONE!!! So we all got to hear the score of the kid's basketball game and the weather at home. The staff refused to do anything about it after we (and another couple) complained. Nobody would stay there because this one idiot was monopolizing the whole place. We left after about 10 minutes of this. I said something to the lounge attendant the next night and she told me that he does this every night!!! Clearly he uses some internet phone service, and there is free wifi in the lounge. However, why not use a headset or better yet, use the internet in the hotel room.

We decided that, if we only had a couple of days, we would stay at the Marriott again, but for any longer than 2 night, we would go to the Hilton.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
IIRC, there is a bank with a 24 hour ATM right across the street from the Marriott. Also a grocery store for munchies within a block.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HLS2002
I respectfully dissent on the IC comment. I think the IC Buenos Aires is much better than the Marriott in all respects, with the possible exception of its location.
A tiny detail that makes a huge difference (even though Marriott's location is not the best either).
Old May 15, 2007, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by HLS2002
I respectfully dissent on the IC comment. I think the IC Buenos Aires is much better than the Marriott in all respects, with the possible exception of its location. I'm a very difficult customer, and I haven't thought of any complaints at the IC yet. I've stayed in both suites and regular rooms at the IC. I think my laundry list of Marriott complaints are already archived here.
The upgrades for RA's at the IC in Buenos Aires are a total joke. What about the watered down minibar or closed lounge during the weekend?

The Marriott is not for everybody but I have enjoyed my time there and the price is right.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
Buenos Aires Marriott updates

I could not find any recent comments on this hotel.
Please if anyone has stayed, or has up to date information on the condition of this property please advise. I will be staying there over the Labor day weekend and wonder if this is the place for a Marriott gold traveler?
Also what recomendations to type of room to book, not counting on an upgrade. I had been thinking a jr. suite?
We would appreciate any information about day trips from BA, or should we spend all our free time in BA. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
There are countless threads about this hotel. Please use a search function.

They have always been very good to me.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
I've searched and not found anything up to date?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: Titanium at Marriott & Platinum at American (both Lifetime) + various others
2007 stays at Buenos Aires Marriott

My wife and I had two one-night paid stays at this hotel in February 2007, both in Junior Suites

In both casees we weren't able to check in when we arrived at the hotel (I guess a lot of Red-eye customers want early check in - fair enough) but it was very disappointing we still weren't able to check in at 15.00, the nominal check in time. Possibly they have very few Junior Suites?

The suites were nice enough, with one better than the other; rates Ok also. And the hotel is well situated in the city.

Overall, it was a relatively old building (obviously a hotel long before it became a Marriott) with a slightly disappointing Concierge Lounge. Its a nice example of how loyalty to Marriott (mostly through Marriott Rewards) makes you choose what is at best a middle-of-the road hotel
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Plt,American Lifetime Platinum
Marriott In Buenos Aires

Traveling to Buenos Aires last week of Oct. and would like any input on the hotel on the square. Have stayed at other hotels on business but just going to enjoy some time in the city.
Thank You
Old Aug 31, 2007, 2:59 pm

I think you'll find this thread useful. My comments from May 07 are there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=buenos+aires
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:57 pm

avoid it

The Plaza Marriott in Buenos Aires is shabby, poorly maintained, gloomy and drab. When I stayed there it reminded me of hotels in Bucharest right before the wall came down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.