Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires Plaza Hotel (formerly Marriott)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
We would like to inform you that effective July 17, 2014, the hotel will no longer be a partner of the Marriott Rewards Program, however, will continue operating under the name Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires with its remarkable tradition for more than 103 years.

If you have a reservation after July 17th, the reservation and rate will be honored. However, you will not be eligible to earn points under the of the Marriott Rewards Program or to redeem them for future stays.

If you wish to utilize Marriott Gift Certificates, Incentive Awards, or Gift Cards, this property will be not be able to accept these as a method of payment.

In case you need to contact the Hotel direct, please call +5411-4318-3069 or send an e mail to [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Buenos Aires Plaza Hotel (formerly Marriott)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I have stayed at the Marriott (on points) and the Hilton. I must say that the Hilton is better in nearly every way. If not for the possibility to use points, I would not choose the Marriott again.

Bruce
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I have stayed at the Marriott (on points) and the Hilton. I must say that the Hilton is better in nearly every way. If not for the possibility to use points, I would not choose the Marriott again.

Bruce
Having stayed at both Marriott and Hilton back-to-back this past November, I think each has its strengths and weaknesses. For the first timer, Marriott's location right on Florida Street is FABULOUS. The lounge was very good. We were upgraded to a junior suite--but nothing can compare with the gorgeous junior suite we enjoyed at the Hilton. And the Hilton facility overall is stunning. But the Hilton is slightly off center, albeit surrounded by some excellent restaurants.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I go for the Hilton almost always when staying in paid hotels myself in Buenos Aires. And I continue to recommend the Hilton -- especially for first-timers to EZE and to those with very limited Spanish. (I recommend it to many others .... and take it myself. )

The Marriott has its own charm for some, but it's not what I'd recommend as being a great value if paying cash nor the most charming property or having the most charming location either.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: UA plat - Marriott plat
4 Seasons or Marriott?

Any first hand experience with the 4 Seasons?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
4 seasons is a luxury property-and is not in the same league as the Marriott.
You might want to check out the luxury hotel forum and do a search there.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
One night paid stay November 11, 2006. For a 100 year old “grand” hotel… it seemed to lack any grand spaces. The ground floor lobby is small and unimpressive. You must either go down or up a flight of stairs to reach the elevators. I was assigned room 873, a junior suite at the very back of the hotel next to the service elevators. The view was of an apartment building across the street. The Junior suite was two small separate rooms. I think the windows must be between 50 and 100 years old… did not close well or keep out noise. Everything had about 200 coats of paint. The saving grace was the new Revive bed in the room and lots of lamps with bright bulbs.

The lounge was nice. Ok breakfast. Pool closed for repairs.

Witnessed a street crime 2 blocks away from the hotel on this visit. During my last visit to Buenos Aires my then girlfriend was squirted with ketchup… and then offered help. Fortunately I was on to that trick and told everyone to get the &*$% away from us. Obviously YMMV, but crime seems to be a notable issue in Buenos Aries.

Last edited by schriste; Nov 15, 2006 at 9:54 am
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Any recent experiences at this property? I'm going on points so it's more of a choice between BA and Rio.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:02 pm

Old but nice

I stayed on points and on a 100 Premium Pound certificate at the BA Marriott this January. I found it nice, although old. They upgraded me to a junior suite that had a living room, bedroom, large walk in closet, and large bathroon overlooking a small garden.

The small pool is "out of service" which I think will be permanent because it does not meet code, although the deck and nearby bar are pleasant for sunning. The hotel will give you cab fare and admittance fees to the recreational complex PUENTA CARRASCO which is next to the Jorge Newbery domestic airport. Fabulous tennis and swim club with a late night disco.

Took my one hundred pound certificate even though I had to cut the paid part of my stay down to one night.

Nice concierge lounge and good snacks and wine.

As previously noted, the public spaces are small for a grand old hotel.
Old May 8, 2007, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just got back from BsAs, here was my impression.

The good:
- Got an upgrade on a free room, only to a jr suite as the hotel was oddly full last week, despite booking the free room 10 days prior. Plenty of room with a living room and bedroom.
- free wifi in the C-lounge and lobby
- Checked us into our room at 9am Sunday morning
- Gave us a late check out of 7pm (9:25pm evening flight)
- My wife got a massage and said it was great and for 1/2 price you'd pay in the US.

The bad:
- apparently missed out on an upgrade to the 'real' suites.
- furniture needs to be cleaned, talk about stains
- lobby area is small so funny to see all those that don't rate the C-lounge crammed into that small area.
- Food in the C-lounge is the same every morning and night (we were there for 7 nights). Nothing really to get excited about in terms of snacks offered.
- Who knows what all those Marriott people are doing in the lobby, certainly not opening car doors or the front doors. Took multiple taxis to the hotel and they never came over to open my wife's door.
- The hotel contracts with a specific taxi company so when it rains and there are none available the doorman tells you it will be 30 min, but you can get a 'radio' taxi out front in less than 5 min as I did. They would not hail a taxi because of their contract.
- If you stay on a Sat night and they have a wedding in the ballroom, you can hear the band at least to the 6th floor in some of the rooms.
- The hotel rips you off on the trip to the airport. Use their taxi company, it's 90 peso (~US$30), or a hired car (remise) 145 pesos. For comparison purposes the hired cars that are at the airport only charged us 75 pesos when we walked off the plane. A regular taxi would be about 50-60 pesos by my guess.
- category 5 hotel but service/quality is category 4 at best.
- Never ate in the hotel as it's way over priced.
Old May 9, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
We are staying here tomorrow thrrough the weekend. We are marriott gold. What are the chances of an upgrade or lounge access? I got an email from the hotel "Virtual Concierge" offering lounge access for $45 - I assume that is US $ and the charge is per person per night.

Looking for a little advice as we usually stay at the hilton but it is twice the price this weekend.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TrishBOS
We are staying here tomorrow thrrough the weekend. We are marriott gold. What are the chances of an upgrade or lounge access? I got an email from the hotel "Virtual Concierge" offering lounge access for $45 - I assume that is US $ and the charge is per person per night.

Looking for a little advice as we usually stay at the hilton but it is twice the price this weekend.
Be interested to see how close your evaluation matches deac83's.

We're staying there for 10 days in August...partly paid and partly on an award certificate.

I was distinctly told by another FT'er very familiar with the property NOT to request or pay for a suite.

He said the regular rooms have been renovated but the suites are in sad shape until sometime in 2008.

Again, I'd be interested in recent, firsthand impressions. I'm a Platinum with Marriott and would go for the suite...paid or otherwise...if it's a quality room.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
Be interested to see how close your evaluation matches deac83's.

We're staying there for 10 days in August...partly paid and partly on an award certificate.

I was distinctly told by another FT'er very familiar with the property NOT to request or pay for a suite.

He said the regular rooms have been renovated but the suites are in sad shape until sometime in 2008.

Again, I'd be interested in recent, firsthand impressions. I'm a Platinum with Marriott and would go for the suite...paid or otherwise...if it's a quality room.
Thank you! I will be sure to report back. We don't really care about the upgrade as long as we have lounge access.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:14 pm

I would not pay $45 for lounge access especially when as GOLD you have FREE access. The breakfast and evening spread is very basic. For $45 dollars you both can eat at Casa Cruz (One of the best Restaurants in BA) that includes wine!
Old May 9, 2007, 8:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
We don't really care about the upgrade as long as we have lounge access.
I'm with you on that.
Old May 9, 2007, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
For me the lounge access is not as important as getting a suite.

I have been at this property four or five times in the last two years and always received a suite upgrade with lounge access. First time I was Gold and on subsequent visits Platinum.

The Hilton in B.A. is very nice but the IC is not. I have yet to stay at the Park Hyatt. Maybe on my next stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.